14x24 Little House Eastern Missouri

Started by pandaman, August 17, 2009, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandaman

Quote from: speedfunk on August 30, 2009, 07:30:38 PM
that cabin sure has "character".  Maybe you can save it if you get rid of the rotten part.  It looks pretty beat though lol.

BTW how was the sickle to use?  I'm getting real sick of fixing my lawn mower  :P   ???

Yeah, some parts of the structure are in good shape others are falling apart. The foundation is built upon a number of brick piers and they are all either falling over or leaning badly. I think it would have to be jacked up and a new support system put underneath.  After it's all cleaned out I'll know if I should tear it down and use it for firewood or put some work into it and use it for a barn.

I found some more info on what I called a sickle.  It's actually called a two handed scythe and has been in use for thousands of years.(learn something new everday I guess..same thing will happen when possible future grandkids see a record player)  To answer your question it was very easy and intuitive to use.  Despite it's advanced age and the dull rusty blade a friend and I took turns and cleared a pretty decent section of property in not much time. I can imagine with a razor sharp blade it would be an excellent tool to use around the yard. Plus you look wicked cool swinging that mean thing.  ;D
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." -Henry David Thoreau

http://allroadsleadtodog.wordpress.com/

rick91351

Scythes are still alive and well today - even here in the good old USA.  I feel it is a tool that all homesteaders should indeed at least learn and see if it fits a purpose on their property.  The aroma is so nice and the sound is a lot easier on the ear than a string trimmer.   

Here is a very good demo of proper scythe work.  Actually there are quite a few clips there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZUtNcOCHvc&feature=related

It is demoed the same way I learned.  Very little arm movement, all in the back and shoulders it is very good exercise.  Let the tool just do the work.  If you get good you indeed could mow your lawn.      ;)   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Arizona Highlander

I am a major newbie here and don't even have the land yet so I am sorry if this is a really stupid question but... does these little cabins need any type of permits to build? How does somebody build a little place without permits or is that impossible. Sorry for the stupid question.
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

jdhen

I bought a scythe a few years ago from Scythe Supply in Maine.  I love it!  I use a short 16 inch ditch blade for tall weedy areas and long, slender 21 inch for shorter grass.  It works great, it's quiet and I don't end up with tingling fingers like I do with my motorized trimmer. [cool]
Jesse

MountainDon

Quote from: NorAz on September 02, 2009, 01:35:37 AM
I am a major newbie here and don't even have the land yet so I am sorry if this is a really stupid question but... does these little cabins need any type of permits to build? How does somebody build a little place without permits or is that impossible. Sorry for the stupid question.
It's not a stupid question, just a question you don't have the answer to.

A cabin that is planned to be used as a residence, even for temporary receational use, will need one or more permits in many, maybe even most, areas of the country. Some rules will be more stringent. Building without permits will be frequently caught or perhaps reported by a disgruntled neighbor. That may result in anything from being told to stop work until permits are obtained, up through small to large fines, or even to tear down the structure.

Some who build without permits, in areas where permits are required, get away it because they are off in the woods and not visible from a public road. Not being hooked to the power grid can help evade the permit process as well.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.