Author Topic: Opinions: The Kreg Jig  (Read 9177 times)

Offline Virginia Gent

Opinions: The Kreg Jig
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
YouTube Infomercial video:

There you go. Does anyone own one of these? Also, do you think this tool would be feesable in building your own house? I ask because it looks like a good tool and I would love to have one to make simple stuff around the house. It sure would have made building that knitting box for my fiancee easier. I also ask because I know next to nothing about the actual construction processes of building a house. Seeing the tool in that infomercial, would drilling holes and screwing them in make framing a wall/floor/roof easier/stronger/faster? Is assembling any of the before mentioned with this tool even a reasonable way TO assemble those?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
~Thomas Jefferson~

Offline new land owner

• CountryPlans member
Re: Opinions: The Kreg Jig
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
I have a smaller version of the Kreg tool.  I love it and used it to build the screen frames for my screen house.  I also used it to secure the corner braces I used as well.

The portable one works well so I would think this would be a good tool to have.

Offline Virginia Gent

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »
Do you think it would be suitable for a larger home? Say, the 20' wide 1 1/2 story cottage plans? I have, almost, decided on making a house similar to the Alaska Cabin on the front page of Country Plans, cept I was thinking a garage dormer instead of normal dormers.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
~Thomas Jefferson~

Offline Jens

• Knoxville, TN
    • Tikkun Construction
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
I would not use it for anything structural, but it is a great tool to have when doing things such as building cabinet face frames.  I also use mine to put together trim before installing it, sometimes.  Gluing and pocket screwing the leg to head casing is very nice.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
It's a cabinetmaking tool, not a tool to be used for a structure.

How much do the special drill bits cost?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesnt mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline pickngrin

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
As Mtn. Don said it's a cabinet making tool - not for building buildings.  Besides, it takes longer to use than a nail gun does.  I have an older one and like it quite a bit.  It's a well-made tool and has worked well for me on several projects with no problems so far.  I used it to make a pair of these tables:

I bought mine 5-6 years ago for about $100 including jig, special drill bit, and special clamp.

Offline rdzone

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »
Definately not for sturctural elements, but it can be very useful when doing trim.  I have used it to preassemble window trim and to add extension jambs to windows.  I also have used it like others have stated for cabinets and face frames.
Chuck

Offline Jens

• Knoxville, TN
    • Tikkun Construction
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
nice table PNG, is that cherry?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Offline ben2go

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
I have only used a jig like that on furniture.I have helped build a few houses and finish a few.I have never seen any place that I would use one,but I also use a trust hammer instead of nail guns.

Offline pickngrin

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 06:44:10 AM »
Yep, cherry.  This was my first project where I began with rough sawn wood.

Offline Squirl

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 06:53:11 AM »
I saw this on BLOG cabin on the DIY network last night.  It looks like it is mostly for finishing furniture corner joints to hide the screws.

Offline Virginia Gent

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »
Well I thank everyone for their thoughts. It would appear there is a consensus   :D

The reason I asked is because they did a few demonstrations on how strong the joints were and they appeared (at least on TV) to be very strong, so I figured perhaps they were good enough for framing or something else.

I'm also glad to hear that it is, indeed, a good tool to use. I plan to buy my dad one for Christmas, which is a plus because then I get to use it too hehe.

That's a beautiful table too. I hope to become profiecent at woodworking to assemble such fine pieces of furniture to litter my house with  ;D
~Thomas Jefferson~

Offline rick91351

• Journeyman
  • 5000' in Idaho
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 05:30:13 AM »
Hey Gent - I did notice the jigs, bits and the pan head screws they market were 'on sale' in the last Woodcrafters catalog.  I would agree that jig would be very useful in some furniture applications.  For me however I think it would be a lot like a biscuit jointer; I just had to have one of those.  Very seldom to I dig mine out anymore.  I went back to my old methodology.  Come to think of it, very seldom did I even venture into the wood shop this summer.  Usually this means there will be a fall - winter season.  I seem to remember two drop leaf tables cut out..... and something about an entertainment center.  Humm!     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.