Building a kitchen countertop

Started by MaineRhino, September 16, 2009, 06:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineRhino

After I received a quote of $2,200 for a live-edge countertop, I thought I may as well build my own. I'd like it to be wood. I do not have access to a joiner or planer, so I thought maybe using unfinished hardwood flooring pieces for the countertop.

Has anyone done this? Not butcherblock, although it will look very similar.

Any suggestions?

Don & Ginger Lundgren

I saw a countertop done like this a few years ago. They used something like a 1/2" sheet of plywood as the base and actually glued and screwed the flooring from bottom so no fasteners were seen and to ensure it was flat. Then the whole thing was screwed to the cabinets just like a normal countertop would be. I had a picture once but cannot find it darn it..... It was at one of those home shows and was the creation of a local builder. I do not remember who as it was quite a few years ago.

Don_P

That would work fine, I've seen several. I would use 3/4 ply underneath and 1-1/4" screws from the bottom with a titebond type glue. A router and a straightedge make a passable jointer as well.

Bobmarlon

there was an issue of fine woodworking a few issues back that showed how to plane down a large slab of wood with a router, a jig, and a chainsaw Ill see if its online.

Redoverfarm

Bobmarlon

Hey main rhino here is a link to the pdf of that article I don't know if this is of any help but they tackle these large slabs of wood with tools most cabin builders would have!   

geocities.com/bowen_boys/011206060.pdf