Just picked up 20 acres with an old house

Started by Mark.alan65, August 17, 2016, 08:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksBrandon

Looking good, I like the looks of your place.  Smart fixing outside first to prevent additional deterioration, no rush on the inside stuff.  Appreciate you taking the time to post and link pictures.  Keep up the good work.

Rys

Mark.alan65

I was able to get a little work completed over the weekend. I had to raise the side door that exits onto the deck. It was the first door installed and I did not know how high the floor inside would sit. I also started painting the siding and trim. I will try and get the gable painted next weekend.

HappyOne

Mark.alan65

I have a question on the front steps. I would like to make the front steps go across the entire front of the house is there anything that I need to look out for? The high side of the porch is 33 inches up, but when I do the final grade it will meet code at 30 inches or less. The walkway from the porch will be removed and a side rail added to the ends of the porch even though it won't be needed to meet code. Don't ask it's a wife thing. I plan to pour a footer for the steps to rest on, and 3 steps or so up onto the porch. Is there anything else that I need to look out for in doing this adventure?

Mark.alan65

Got a little bit done this weekend. I painted the gable, did touch up on the front, and started to cut in the left side. I also started wrapping the porch posts. It was a very cold and trying to rain kind of day for this time of year here. Maybe more will get done next weekend.

Mark.alan65

I didn't get a lot of work done this weekend, due to my grandsons first birthday on Saturday. I was able to go up on Sunday and got about 90 percent of the exterior painted. I think the gables need to be a little darker. They blend in way too much with the trim color.

Mark.alan65

Went up and worked on the house some on Saturday. I was able to finish painting the main house body, and most of the trim. I repainted the front gable after having the paint tinted darker. I thought the color looked too close to the trim color. The only other painting remaining is the back gable. We had some nasty storms moving in and I did not think the back would have time to dry before the rain started. I started back working on wrapping the posts on the porch but the storms hit about 4 so I just packed up and went home.

Mark.alan65

This morning I ordered the metal for the roof, and all the trim parts. So in the next month or so I should have the outside finished with all the major work.

ChugiakTinkerer

My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

GaryT

Great choice of colors, among all the other good work you've done.  They do a nice job of fitting the home into the location; I always feel that's important.
Gary

Mark.alan65

I was able to go up and work on the house on Saturday. The back gable is painted, and the porch post are wrapped. I also met with the pump guy about getting water up to the house. My buddy that is an electrician stopped in and we talked about wiring the house. From what he said we should be able to do it in a weekend.

pmichelsen

You've really turned that place around, it looks great.

PHU

There's something "HOMEY" about that cabin! I won't trade it for a cookie cutter house! GOOD JOB!

I like your choice and taste of siding and trim colors.   [cool]

Mark.alan65

Thanks guys. I think both of you have done an amazing job on your cabins. I will be glad to start moving inside.

Mark.alan65

I have been working on the house for the past few weeks. I was able to almost finish the demo on the inside, and finish framing some walls. On the outside I finished the metal wrap, and installed the roof.