Trying to find 3D Home Architect...

Started by ajbremer, December 30, 2010, 08:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Hi everyone, it's great to be here - me and my wife are just now starting to clear our land and decided to build our 'little house' ourselves. We stumbled onto countryplans.com and then onto the 'nash' house. Here's the link:

http://www.countryplans.com/nash.html

We loved the way this looks so much that we were hooked. We read everything online about it that we could. We had some questions and so we called the phone number listed on the contact link and talked to John. Wow, he is so patient and helpful.

So just a little while ago I ordered my 'Little House Plans' and then became a member on planhelp.com. I figured that my next step was to get that 3D Home Architect software.

I used the "3D Home Architect" link at planhelp and was redirected to eBay to find it but I can't find that version anywhere on there. I think I read somewhere that version 3 was originally a Windows 95 program? Somebody here should take ALL these plans and update them to work on what ever is best for todays technology. If I buy that 'Better Homes and Garden' software version will it do everything that 3DHA does? If so, I don't mind spending the 20 more bucks. Could somebody please help me and give me a link that'll let me read the plans over at planhelp? We're excited and we want to dive right in. Thanks to all ya'll and I hope I can find software for the templates and plans...

PS: I just went on eBay and looked harder, I did find an apparent link to 3D Home Architect deluxe 3 for $30 and it would get to me around the first week of Jan. I'm going to hold off on ordering it until I hopefully hear from people here telling me more info about that Better Homes and Garden' software. Hope to hear from ya.

al

Allan Bremer
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

John Raabe

Here is a program that should work

http://cgi.ebay.com/BETTER-HOMES-AND-GARDENS-HOME-DESIGNER-6-/320635511875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa75da443

This is the version I have used with the template plans. Note that this may not work with Windows 7. Lots of earlier programs have problems.

There are so many programs that design floorplans and almost all will have their own incompatible file format. Makes it difficult to design for one.

You could also use the free sketchup program. It can layout floor plans. Pretty easy to learn - some members like it better than BH&G Designer.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1472.20
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ajbremer

Thanks John,

I think I may have found a 'Buy it Now' link on eBay for the 3D Home Architect version 3. Let me know if I'm on the right track and if you think this is the proper version for me to order. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3D-Home-Architect-Deluxe-3-Jewel-Case-Good-Software-/160518688444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255fa8cebc#ht_500wt_922

If you say this looks like the right version, I'll order it and it should take about a week.

Thanks a ton John...

al
Allan Bremer

John Raabe

If you are running XP the older 3DHA will work.

ajbremer

Friday - December 31st, 2010 @ 1:30pm Oklahoma, USA (Happy New Year!)

Thank you very much John,

I just ordered the software from eBay, I used the link above your last message - I sure hope I got the right one, it was around $36.00.

By the way, I downloaded a trial version of the latest 'Chief Architect' software and tried to load the pl files into it. It worked but it couldn't load many library files and a lot of things were missing BUT - it did end up loading a picture that you can turn around and see but I'm sure a lot of things are missing from it.

Thank you for your help, I'll let you know next week sometime about how the software worked out. Time to go to the land and do some clearing.

al

John Raabe

Yes, I have CA 10 which will load the 3DHA files with missing furniture and such (library issues). The 3DHA v.3 is actually Chief Architect version 2 if I remember right.