Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 07, 2012, 11:31:56 AM
Finding more about the Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 International version.  It has GLONASS GPS along with American GPS.  Not sure if the ATT version has it or not.  I don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS

What does this mean?  [noidea'

It means that the GPS on the phone actually works.... [ouch]

I tried every upgrade on my Galaxy S ATT American version and could never get the GPS to work except very intermittently then it would lose you in the middle of the road.

This one not only does not lose you but it knows when you are inside buildings and which direction you are looking if the phone is in line with the direction you are looking.  As fast as I could turn in a circle almost it rotated my direction of view.  Unparallelled clarity of Google maps and navigation.  Took us to a Radio Shack for a Radar Detector within feet of the store on the way home, and we had never been there.  Entered at the back wall from the street and circled the building in the parking lot... yup - exactly where it should be.  :)

Great to have something that works good now, even if we needed Russian technology to make it work.  [waiting]

Sadly most of us feel that our country is the most advanced around.  Sorry to say... that is no longer the case.  The advanced technology we may have is now most of the time being manufactured overseas due to reduced labor rates.  My friend in India - $269.00 a month for 14 hours per day 30 days per month.... (officially 24 days but must work 30 to keep his job) -Software Engineer friend working for General Electric.  We just need to drop our view of our self worth and our corporations will return our jobs.  :)

Russia put an import tariff on phones that do not support their system so many companies are including GLONASS and I look for more in the future.  Nice we can benefit from something that actually works.   ;D

How did you acquire this super duper spy phone and what service provider are you using,ATT?We need new phones and $92 a month for 750 min split between 2 phones, and unlimited text between the 2 phones, is getting to costly.We updated our plan and gotta deal from the V about 1.5 years ago.Even then we didn't get a deal, but the V is the most reliable service around my mountains.

glenn kangiser

I ordered the phone unlocked through Amazon as I wanted the international version and they had about the best price (about $584 now).  I ordered a Squaretrade warranty direct through Squaretrade as the Amazon version did not have enough coverage.  That is the specific Cell Phone coverage against drops and breakage - watch which warranty you get with these as some don't cover drops and breakage.  2 years max coverage.

If I got the ATT phone it would be about $300 and locked to ATT with a 2 year contract.  Their travel rates I think seem to be outrageous out of country.  This one will accept an international SIM card and works on ATT but is not locked to ATT.  The ATT processor is only 1/3 as fast to work with the LTE radio - Euro clock speed is 1.4ghz - US is 1.5 ghz clock but processing is only about 1/3 as fast.  ATT crapware wants you to pay for everything you use and they block a lot of apps they don't want you to use.  Firefox is one I can think of.  It is kind of crappy itself but the point is if I want it, I want it and I don't want ATT telling me I can't have it.  I wanted to use my bookmarks from this computer.

International has a cool home button and only two capacitive touch buttons - ATT has only 4 capacitive touch keys and no home button.  I like the home button better.

ATT warranty is out in 1 year.  Contract is 2 years.  Sassy's GalaxyS broke in 1 year and 1 month( internal electronic failure)... tough beans... a new replacement locked to ATT is about $600.

The International unlocked GT-N7000 needs to be told where to look for ATT 3g/4g - I saved the info on that if anyone needs it.  No LTE radio in International - who needs it? No FM Radio in ATT.  It works good on international and apparently does not use Data as it is a true FM radio.  Had to turn it off on the radio application only - I assume it will mute on calls though - haven't tried that.  :)

Did GPS test today - I was tracking and using 17 satellites.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 09, 2012, 12:01:30 AM
I ordered the phone unlocked through Amazon as I wanted the international version and they had about the best price (about $584 now).  I ordered a Squaretrade warranty direct through Squaretrade as the Amazon version did not have enough coverage.  That is the specific Cell Phone coverage against drops and breakage - watch which warranty you get with these as some don't cover drops and breakage.  2 years max coverage.

If I got the ATT phone it would be about $300 and locked to ATT with a 2 year contract.  Their travel rates I think seem to be outrageous out of country.  This one will accept an international SIM card and works on ATT but is not locked to ATT.  The ATT processor is only 1/3 as fast to work with the LTE radio - Euro clock speed is 1.4ghz - US is 1.5 ghz clock but processing is only about 1/3 as fast.  ATT crapware wants you to pay for everything you use and they block a lot of apps they don't want you to use.  Firefox is one I can think of.  It is kind of crappy itself but the point is if I want it, I want it and I don't want ATT telling me I can't have it.  I wanted to use my bookmarks from this computer.

International has a cool home button and only two capacitive touch buttons - ATT has only 4 capacitive touch keys and no home button.  I like the home button better.

ATT warranty is out in 1 year.  Contract is 2 years.  Sassy's GalaxyS broke in 1 year and 1 month( internal electronic failure)... tough beans... a new replacement locked to ATT is about $600.

The International unlocked GT-N7000 needs to be told where to look for ATT 3g/4g - I saved the info on that if anyone needs it.  No LTE radio in International - who needs it? No FM Radio in ATT.  It works good on international and apparently does not use Data as it is a true FM radio.  Had to turn it off on the radio application only - I assume it will mute on calls though - haven't tried that.  :)

Did GPS test today - I was tracking and using 17 satellites.

Thanks.I will have to check into those when time comes in a few months.

glenn kangiser

It is a cool phone/tablet/computer, Ben.  :)

Whitlock and I went to bring an old BIG 4x4 truck up from the other place today... on my Beaver.....

Well... wouldn't you know that it appears that the tire shop failed to tighten the lugs good enough last week and the wheels worked until they broke all of the lugs off going up the hill then wedged under the trailer and made a cloud of rubber smoke big enough to attract a CHP (nice cop) from wherever he was to pull up behind me and turn on his lights.  He was a great guy with no bad attitude and scouted out a better parking place for us a few hundred feet up the road.  He offered to do what ever he could to help then took off. 

We do get a good one every so often.  [ouch]

We rolled the wheel up on a block of wood to get the axle off of the ground then blocked it there with a couple of pieces of wood jambed in the axle load equalizer.  Drove it home on three sets of wheels. 

Mariposa ingenuity eh?  ... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

What that's it!
You forgot the part about how we learned that the guy that steers the truck onto the trailer tells the guy that is pushing it on the trailer to stop when the front wheels have reached the front of the trailer.

Also what about the hen with spurs??

Adventures with Glenn to be continued [scared]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

I still haven't figured out how you found out that the hen with spurs wasn't a rooster... I wasn't there to see what you did... [waiting]

rick91351

Glenn happy to hear no injuries or worse from loosing the wheel.  That so often occurs when that happens, and you send a loose wheel into traffic!  I guess in this case it did not do that however.  What is the tire shop going to do or are you left holding the repair?
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: rick91351 on April 10, 2012, 04:23:03 AM
Glenn happy to hear no injuries or worse from loosing the wheel.  That so often occurs when that happens, and you send a loose wheel into traffic!  I guess in this case it did not do that however.  What is the tire shop going to do or are you left holding the repair?

I am loading up stuff to run by there this morning.  Likely they will give me a wheel if they have one - maybe the ring that goes under the nuts if they have one - mount the new tires and likely give me a tire if they have another too.  Someone will likely get chewed. 

There is a Dexter axle dealer just past Fresno..... and yes... it is nice that the tires became lodged under the trailer... [waiting]

PEG688

Quote from: Whitlock on April 10, 2012, 12:01:59 AM

You forgot the part about how we learned that the guy that steers the truck onto the trailer tells the guy that is pushing it on the trailer to stop when the front wheels have reached the front of the trailer.

Let me guess as the truck front tires rolled off the front of the trailer and the truck crashed down onto the frame Glenn said something to the effect of " OK , that's far enough!"   In a low key steady voice.  d* Or maybe there was a "$hit, that's good!"   :o   ::) thrown in .  c*
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Well.... it was more like this.... [noidea'

I was up in the front of the truck steering with the almond shells the packrats had packed in and eaten the almonds from.

Whitlock was on the monster forklift pushing and pushing and pushing but to no avail.... the truck was not going farther ... after a few minutes of that I hopped down to have a look....see why it would not go further... hmm

It was then that I noticed that the truck was up tight against the stop and the one tire with air in it was pushed half flat.

Luckily the laws of physics and gravity made the truck too hard to push over the 8" headboard on the trailer and we were protected from ourselves...... [waiting]

I didn't have the opportunity to practice my bad words as we did not go over the edge...that time....  [ouch]

MountainDon

At least you "captured" the tires/wheels.   :)   Last year we were following a trailer when a wheel parted. It bounced down an embankment and we never had a chance to pass and advise the guy. He probably had a surprise at the next gas stop.   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have had them pass me on the old trailer.  I bought this one to stop all of that.[ouch]

Think we are close to getting a handle on it.  Though we captured both tires and wheels they were all ruined.  I toolk them back to the tire shop and showed them the pix of what happened because the bolts were not tight enough.  I acknowledged that I should have double checked them.  They gave me more wheels and a couple more tires - I don't think they will charge anything though they had to clear it with the boss.

I have been dealing with them since 1974.  Good people and stuff happens.....  [noidea'

The thing I worry about is a tire coming loose and killing somebody.  [scared]  That is why I sprung for the more substantial trailer.   [waiting]

glenn kangiser

So....Sassy got her International version of the Samsung Note GT-N7000 today.

I offered to take her to lunch after we left the Post Office but she was so excited she wanted to go right home so she could play with it...... which includes a directive for me to get it set up and working for her..... [waiting]

Loaded it up - programmed in the network APN info. Got the SIM card in - unloaded one of my 16gb micro sd cards for her programs... Checked out the 3/G to make sure it was up... tried a call to the house... helped her set up contacts...  Loaded in a couple different versions of Angry Birds (Original and Rio)... there .. that should hold her for a bit.  :)

Found out that there is actually a version of Turbo Tax for Android.... yeah right ... I wanna do them that bad.... [ouch]

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...... got the trailer wheels and hub back together about 9:30 pm last night... didn't want to leave it open or have to work in the mud from the rain that got here overnight.  By the time the rain stops next week, I'll be ready to roll...  :)

Sassy

Yep, the phone is really cool!  And I can actually see & read everything  :)  Instead of me spending hours trying to do what Glenn did in a few minutes I just let the expert get things set up on my phone  :-*  Didn't get much time to play w/it.  Went to a symphony w/Whitlock's wife - young college students - they were exceptional.  Then my battery ran down on my phone so have to leave it plugged in for awhile & it is already almost 11pm, soooo.

Gotta get up fairly early tomorrow to drive down to the valley & do some ultrasounds.  There will be a representative from a Christian magazine there all day observing how the clinic works & how we interact w/the clients.  They will be donating money to the clinic they feel is making the most impact on people's lives.  If we get chosen, our story will go into the magazine for the readers to vote on & an additional donation will be made.  That would help to fund more educational resources & classes. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

What can I say... gotta keep her updated on the latest technology so she can show off to her peers... [waiting]

Separated the chickens into separate pens day before yesterday.  3 individual and 2 together.  Caught one egg eater in an individual pen the first day.  Another in the section with two.  Swapped out the two that didn't eat their eggs with the two that were outside. The hen with spurs didn't eat her eggs.... [noidea'

Seeing which get to stay in where it is safe and which get to go out and wrestle with the wild animals at night... [ouch]

glenn kangiser

Checking out the features of the Samsung Note....

I found some old information of interest here in an ancient free Mission Furniture E-Book.  Reader is free - book is free.

Holding the button of the S Pen down while on a screen of interest takes a screen shot of the screen.

I took this shot of an easy way to make dowels of any size wanted.  [noidea'

I loaded the Photobucket App to my GT-N7000 previously, then selected the screen shot and sent it straight from my phone to My Photobucket Mobile account.  (Menu/share/ choose via Photobucket) It uploads automatically.  I could have done this all on the phone of course but... hey... the computer was sitting right here beside me.    [ouch]

You can also have it send all photos taken with it to Photobucket as an option.  Heard of a person who caught a phone thief that way when he took a pix of himself and wasn't aware it went straight to the owners account.  [idea]

I then took a shot of the illustration page and got the rest of the story.....  :)

Happy doweling......  [waiting]

Note that pix can be drawn on, annotated, cropped, edited, anything you want to do in the "Samsung Note"also.

Time for two pix - see time stamp - 2 minutes including a bit of learning too.... so I got lost...  :o

ben2go

I gotta see if I can afford one of those.

glenn kangiser

The ATT or possibly other locked ones run about 300 with a 2 year contract.  We are tired of their contract though and wanted one we could do anything with without rooting it besides the processor in the Euro one is still about 3 times faster no matter what.

Sassy is now installing her own apps and games as well as learning other things to do with it.... I got the Plumber Butt game where you toss Ice Cubes down the  plumbers pants as he or she works.... pretty funny.  :)   Let's see.. PEG will want a screen shot of that I think..... [waiting]

I got a topo map program that loads topo maps of the area and works with the GPS also - again - free.  It caches a good bunch of the maps so you do not constantly have to reload them all of the time - maps are free for it too.  Haven't played with it much but it is supposed to record tracks too....and a buisness card reader - stores a pix of the card, recognizes the text and adds it to your contacts - phone, Google or both. :)

Yes... I know... they know where I am every second.... [ouch]

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 14, 2012, 01:02:04 AM

.. I got the Plumber Butt game where you toss Ice Cubes down the  plumbers pants as he or she works.... pretty funny.  :)   Let's see.. PEG will want a screen shot of that I think..... [waiting]

I think I'll pass on that Glenn. 

glenn kangiser

It's really not a problem PEG... I mean I'd be happy to do it for you... :)

glenn kangiser

Yes, Ben.  That is the one.  It is getting slightly cheaper now I think.

Used it today with the GPS and TOPO maps of the mountain area.  Sassy and I traveled a few roads we did not know were there.  The GPS was keeping us on the map even when there was not internet service to DL more maps.  GPS is so good it constantly kept us aligned with our heading.

Here is a screen shot  - resolutions are from very close to very wide changing automatically as you zoom.  Zoom can be by pinching gestures or the +/- signs. Map quality is great with the ability to zoom in much larger than a paper map.  If the maps have not been viewed already they are not in the cache and will need service to DL.  If viewed recently and caching is allowed in your settings they will be saved for viewing offline.

The W's are the Wikipedia layer - labels provided from Wikipedia for anything that has coordinates there.

Quality can be degraded by higher compression to use less space.  I save them to my 32GB micro SD chip to keep room in the phones 16GB for other things that can't be moved.  Lots of options in this free program.  Google maps is also great but does not include TOPOs for finding mines and elevations etc.  This program (app)  is called Outdoor Atlas and I added the North America plugin then download maps automatically from My Topo.  A bit of fooling around with the program settings finds all of that stuff.

Here are a couple of shots from earlier today sent wifi right now over the net direct to Photobucket.

The East Chowchilla River Bridge on Hwy 49 from the Harris Ranch Road on the mountain - found with the TOPO map App......

and .... our cows and the stray grazing along the road found on our way home..... [waiting]

:)

glenn kangiser

A friend from Kaohsiung, Taiwan posted this .....

and the caption said.... "油價暴漲,我們現在都騎這種車上班........."

Which computer translates to.....  [Due to]  The skyrocketing oil prices, we are riding this car to go to work .........

......but looking at that makes me want to build my own.... add a motor?  [noidea'

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 16, 2012, 12:53:56 AM

......but looking at that makes me want to build my own.... add a motor?  [noidea'

Well IF you do decide to make the scooter please , please don't feel you need to do it in the same form of dress!!  [shocked]    heh