Our Christmas Project

Started by MountainDon, December 19, 2008, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Well, since we're now snowed out of the mountains as far as any heavy work goes, we have a project at home. It is to remove parquet wood flooring that was water damaged in the August pipe burst, and replace with ceramic tile. Fortunately for us the insurance paid us well enough so we're not out any of our own cash.  :D 

The "fun" part of the job is the removal...

(spots in the air is the flash reflecting off the dust raised in the removal process.

We found some tile we both liked. They had enough to do the job and cleared it out for us at a great price. We found a local contractor, 16 years in the floor business, Anything But Carpet. We've agreed on a price and I'll be able to sit back and watch them on their younger knees.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Thats the problem with doing floors is that the majority of it is done on your knees.  My mother keeps repairing my work pants.  It seems I favor the right knee more than the left as the holes always appear on that side.  She usually tells me "this is the last time on those"  ;D

glenn kangiser

I just got the Utility blue jeans from Sportsman's Guide - $14 - they have double denim on the knees about 18".  Thought I would give them a try as they had my size -- big and many (6) pockets - I'm happy.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CREATIVE1

I messed up my achilles tendons by squat walking (don't know what else to call it) on several large floors to grout the tiles.  Yoga fixed it, after several years of  [crz]  Not as bad as other mishaps, of which there were MANY. 

diyfrank

Don,
Do you ever take a break?    c*

Home is where you make it

ScottA

I was gonna ask the same thing. Kinda disgusting how much energy Don has.  :P

MountainDon

Scott, Frank, I'm in supervisor mode on this one. I wander through every so often and grunt unintelligibly.  ;D 

I do have another side project going though.  :D  I have to replace a shower control. It's one of the first generation of pressure temperature regulated residential controls. It has quit regulating reliably. Cleaning it has made no difference. The company has gone away and I've been unable to find parts. >:( 

So far I've cut a whole in the wall behind the shower wall (I do not want to rip out the wall on the shower side) and am contemplating the swap out.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

Hey Don is all the floor on the same level.  Maybe it is just a "trick to the eye" but it looks like the two middle starter rows are recessed.  The original subfloor doesn't look that way when they were taking off the parquet. 

considerations

"Utility blue jeans from Sportsman's Guide"

Carharts

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 20, 2008, 10:10:50 PM
Hey Don is all the floor on the same level.  Maybe it is just a "trick to the eye" but it looks like the two middle starter rows are recessed.  The original subfloor doesn't look that way when they were taking off the parquet. 

Absolutely level, same plane

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on December 20, 2008, 10:52:59 PM
"Utility blue jeans from Sportsman's Guide"

Carharts

I'm too cheap for the Carharts.  I'm more for the Bangladesh slave labor Guide Gear.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=358087

I didn't see that they were double front on these but they were the ones with the extra cell phone pocket and came with a double front.  Nothing mentions it on the ad nor can I find the same lot number as the one I ordered. 
They change stuff fast there but prices and quality seem to be pretty good.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

The reason I asked is that if you look at the photo there looks like a line about 2" above the upper row. The ends (left) and the bottom row looks to be flush rather than up off the base.  I thought it would be odd but just had to ask. 

MountainDon

I see what you mean John... I suppose the flash could have been the cause ???  Here's a non flash from the other direction. This is where work stopped. Back to it on Monday for them. Today we paint the ceiling and a few walls.

MountainDon

Tile grouting was completed yesterday. Now just have the basebords to reinstall. Plus have to seal the grout.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

Ya, the rows are even straight.   ;) 

And we got a Christmas present from the tile guy. Yesterday he told me he could save us a couple hundred if we paid cash.  ;) ;)

I have to go to the ATM and get some more cash right now.   ;D

glenn kangiser

That makes it exceptionally good. :)

I like the spacers for making the rows straight.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 25, 2008, 03:08:01 PM

I like the spacers for making the rows straight.

We don't need no stinking spacers [slap]

Looks good Don [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 25, 2008, 03:08:01 PM

I wonder how the underground economy is making out relative to the above ground economy.

Hmmm.

glenn kangiser

Likely growing as people see the need to  cut the political and financial ripoffs out of their lives... :)

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

ScottA

Looks very spiffy Don.  :) I'm glad to hear you hired someone to do it. I was starting to feel lazy.  d*

MountainDon

Scott, it's good to support the alternative economy from time to time...

Furniture back in place, pictures hung... well actually the furniture was in a few different arrangements before we found perfection.   ;D  And the rug is yet to be brought in...

NM_Shooter

Sweet!  Looks like a totally different place.  Nice work!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"