Penny Pincher Barns

Started by TxBxSx, January 17, 2012, 10:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxBxSx

I just came across Penny Pincher Barnes last night. I am really intrigued by some of their "kits",  but cant seem to find much feed back on the company from past customers. Has anyone dealt with them before or known of anyone who has?

I am looking to build a 16 x 20 gambrel style cabin, with a full loft as an inexpensive temp living quarters/future guest house. Any info would be helpful about them, or even similar companies

firefox

Country Plans is your best bet. You already know the support is the best here, I
wouldn't waste your time trying to get a better deal else where.
Just my two cents.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

TxBxSx

I am not knocking the plans here, and am considering using the 20x30 plans for our house in the future. But, penny pinchers offers delivered precut kits with plans at what seems to be a really nice price.

MountainDon

Maybe they don't have much good feedback to post??

I believe it should be possible to buy/modify a plan or draw your own and buy the materials from a lumber yard and come out money ahead. That's my 2 cents worth anyhow.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

I don't know how much business they do.  I had never heard of them before.  There are dozens of companies that sell these kits.  Many advertise on craigslist around me.  Some you can find locally already built or built at your site.  Some Lowes and HDs sell kits too. I did notice that the ones penny pincher barns sell are a little higher priced than some that I had looked at a few years ago. 

TxBxSx

Quote from: Squirl on January 18, 2012, 04:09:44 PM
I don't know how much business they do.  I had never heard of them before.  There are dozens of companies that sell these kits.  Many advertise on craigslist around me.  Some you can find locally already built or built at your site.  Some Lowes and HDs sell kits too. I did notice that the ones penny pincher barns sell are a little higher priced than some that I had looked at a few years ago.

The idea came from a lowes kit that was over 10k and they wouldn't allow DIY assembly or subbing matterials. I started hunting and came across penny pinchers who offer framing kits under 4k.

I have been trying to call for 3 days and sent them an email, but can't get in touch. Guess I'll keep looking.

rick91351

Why in the world would you want to do business with someone with that type of costumer service?  Not some one I would do business with.

I was in dire need of a shed 50 plus miles away.  I had very little spare time as usual.  I called a local outlet.  They took my deposit over the phone and brought one up.  I wrote them a check when they were finished.  I did not discuss it here nor ask for options.  I certainly did not drop any names for Spamming purposes.

I already knew what every one would say.  It is cheaper and better to build it yourself.  I can not argue.  I do not like the way it is built but I had no say in that.  Like any other kit basically.  But then it was right out of their jigs to me. The two big reasons to do it yourself.  If I built it myself I have control of how it is built and quality.

So out of respect to this forum and John I certainly did not give them any local advertising nor explain how sold I am with their cheap product.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

TxBxSx

I agree with DIY all the way, but it is nice to have a little help. When I saw that this 16x20 gambrel style shed with a full second story that was availible installed for just over 10k, I thought hell imagine what I could for for that much cash if I did all the work myself! I figured I could at least sub in some better siding, windows and insulated it for less than that.

The thing is I would really like to find at least some plans so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel, which I am prefectly capable of but prefer not to. My time is valuable to me as I spend 80 perecent of my waking hours at work these days, so a jump start would be nice. I'm getting getting slightly discouraged with my searches though, and am getting ready to just say to hell with it and building my own 3d model plans. I'm sure I'll end up much more satisfied that way too.

RRS4727

I came across them when I was looking for a guest cottage. (rather than addition to the house)
Something to make it worthwhile for kids/grandkids to drive 19 hours to spend their vacation with us.
They have some of the most unusual small/tiny house designs that I've never seen anywhere else.
(think...Goldilocks cottage in the woods - turret and all)

However, I came across this site: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22461
(or Google PennyPincher Barn reviews)
Basically, people thought their designs were interesting, not the same ole, same ole, but reputable business practices? Not so much.

They've done business under several names.
Might want to think twice about Penny Pincher kits.
Nothing is precut, just "hunks-o-wood" and you get your stuff from who knows where.
And if you'd have questions? I have a strong feeling you'd be on your own.