Need your advice with building a vacation cabin

Started by Fanisp, December 03, 2017, 06:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fanisp

Hi all.

Great forum! Before starting just a disclaimer I have not a single idea when it comes to building :) - I'm a creative director.

I recently bought a 2 acres lot in PA - Pocono Mountains.

I've been researching what is the most affordable way to build a vacation home. Something minilam with a lot of windows. I am European and always dreamed of these houses i see online that have windows all over the place, minimal aesthetic and really let you enjoy the nature and the view.

I looked in to prefabs here in the U.S but I find very limited selection as of now and the prices are two - three times more expensive from the same companies in Europe.

Any suggestion on how to go with this or if someone could help me? - My budget is limited - not rich as of now lol - but it has been a dream of mine to get a vacation home like this. For many reasons...one is that i miss nature so much, leaving in Nyc - and the fact that I've been struggling with rent for so many years here so a sense of security that any time i can just go and live there - would make feel so much secure.

Thank you all!

ChugiakTinkerer

Hello and welcome to the forum.   w*

The first thing I suggest is determining if there is a jurisdictional authority that cares how and where you build your cabin.  Many counties have adopted the international residential code (IRC) for construction of homes to ensure that you and any future owners will be able to live comfortably and safely.  The IRC is a collection of building practices that spell out exactly how to build your structure.  These prescribed practices are chosen because they work in many different places and environments.  The IRC is available online at https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/document/toc/553/

In many rural areas however there are often no code requirements and you can build however you please.  Or there may be exceptions for certain buildings due to size or occupancy uses.  If you are located in one of those areas you may still wish to build in accordance with the IRC building practices to ensure your structure will withstand many decades of whatever treatment nature throws your way.

Beyond that I would start dreaming.  Spend some time on the property and start visualizing where the cabin will go and what it will look like.  I would also in parallel start researching what is required to build a solid foundation.  Building a cabin or home takes an immense investment of time and money.  The foundation should reflect the value you place on this building.  Do it right so that you don't end up with a failed structure, or spending tens of thousands of dollars making repairs.

The many build threads in the Owner-Builder section show there are lots of other folks that have built a place with their own two hands, starting with nothing but the desire to make it happen.  You can do much of the work yourself to save money, but some things are best left to the professionals.  If you have the skills and inclination you can build something beautiful for well under $50 per square foot.  If you hire most of the work out that might cost you as much as $150 per square foot.

If you have some pictures and ideas, why not start an Owner-Builder thread and get the ball rolling?  The best lure for getting input is to draw folks in with pictures!
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story