Reusing old sheet metal for roofing?

Started by MartyM, July 14, 2011, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyM

I have a line on some very old corrugated metal salvaged from a large barn. The Friend that has it is guessing its over 100 years old.    There is no rust but it has a beautiful greenish patina that I really like.  I have plans to incorporate lots of it around  the small cabin I'm working on.  Has anyone reused this type of metal for a roof?  Is there a reliable way to seal the old screw holes?  Is  this type of metal safe for potable rainwater collection?  ??? 
I know.. lots of of questions but any help would be appreciated.

glenn kangiser

It sometimes goes for a premium price as in decorative wall covering such as at Bass World, etc.

We used it in our house in several places and reused it for a roof.  The holes don't usually leak much though a dab of caulk would assure that they did not leak at all.  It is on my old garage to maintain that old look.  :)

Water - if washed clean I would not worry about it much more than new but might want to filer either of them.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MartyM

Thanks for getting back to me Glenn,

I'm still a little concerned about the roof leaking but I think its worth the risk.   
I guess if it becomes a problem I will only be out a little time.

astidham

if the holes are not too big, you could always put a rubber cap screw in it to help fasten it down!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Squirl

Green patina?  Is it copper?  If it is that green patina can protect it indefinately.  I would go for it.  For water, I've never heard of lead in roofing.  I don't think small doses of any other metals are poisonous for humans.  If it had copper, I would worry about it for sheep.  A good treatment/filter system is needed for potable rainwater anyway.

Don_P

I've been doing some work for a disabled single mom, copper poisoning. It causes severe neurological problems. They are trying to get it out of her system but so far have been unable to. I've also worked on a solid zinc roof, not sure what that would do. It would be a good idea to get the water thoroughly tested before assuming it's safe.