Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Got the wheels ordered from Bobcat at a price even better than the internet prices I found,  :)

... So... I ordered three of them.  $225 each and no freight if I wait a week or so.  I guess I can deal with that. 

I went to the place my buddy J picked up his EPDM pond liner from and talked to the guy there a bit.  He made me a great deal on some remnant pieces.  So I will be able to redo sections of the roof at a time.  I will not be taking off the dirt but rather putting the EPDM over the existing dirt then a layer of chips and raised bed planters where I want them.  When I did the Underground Complex originally only 6 mil plastic was recommended but now Mike Oehler recommends EPDM with good reason.  It is so much tougher.  I got these remnants for about .48 psf.  A great buy.  EPDM is not affected by sunlight and is about the same strength and feel of a rubber innertube.  So much better.  [noidea'
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Through some of the international students and friends we have hosted here at the Underground Complex in a real round about way I have made a good friend in Ethiopia.  Salfiso Kitabo works for an NGO from Canada and is Country Director of Operations in Ethiopia.

"I work for a Canadian International NGO called CHF. http://www.chf-partners.ca. I am a country director for Ethiopia operations. This is my paid job and is where I get my bread and butter. I worked for humanitarian organizations working for the poor since 1983."

"The Canadian group I mentioned to you where I volunteer to support children's education is separate and done personally at my extra hours."

Salfiso is a great photographer and travels many places in Africa in his work of helping the poor and trying to improve their quality of life.  He has agreed to share stories that ones here may be interested in and I am interested in finding out ways we may also be able to help. 

Here is one of his pictures he has generously allowed me to use for educational purposes.  This is in the Sudan if I recall correctly.  He titled this "Healthy boy in the middle of dust." 

I immediately noted the mud house and barn and what we consider alternative building methods behind the toddler.  Building concepts I have studied over the years and one our friend Tehut mentioned as being used in her home country of Ethiopia also.

Note the reinforcing of sticks in the wall.  I think that would be called wattle and daub here.  Note the deterioration of the untreated wood on the bottom of the post at the active layer near the top six inches of soil.  That is where most deterioration of untreated wood takes place.

If there is enough interest in this I will start a separate topic.  I can tell you that Salfiso gets some wonderful pictures and stories in his work.  In questioning him about the NGOs and effectiveness of donations in his country he told me that the government requires 70 percent at least to be used directly for the aid to the poor.

QuoteBTW The government controls all the donations and one cannot use more than 30% of the donations for administration. 70$ of the 100$ donated should go to the beneficiary is the law of the land. NGO's are audited yearly.

Ethiopia is a primarily Christian country and I have found all of them I have met and talked to to be very upright honest friendly people.  Salfiso said there is of course a small minority of abusers but it seems that they get what is coming to them eventually.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in hearing more from our direct inside link to African events, life and Culture.  I know I am interested in it as I have already seen more of what Salfiso has to share.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

new stratos

Hi Glenn, Sassy and all the readers of this blog, this is Chris, the friend from Tasmania mentioned on the last page. I am from Tasmania, but just to confuse you all, I was born in England and currently live in Indonesia :)

I've just finished reading 138 pages of blog and enjoying various videos, and the pictures and stories of your various adventures - highly amusing. I find the machinery related stories very entertaining, especially anything related to the Bobcat - I've wanted one of those since I saw my first one about 30 years ago - they're just so 'right' . Unfortunately I've never had the change to play with one, although I did spend a couple of days digging up sewer mains and moving piles of dirt around with a medium sized excavator once. Great fun ... until I stupidly pushed in the wall of of the house! We live and learn ... the lessons learned there were: a) don't dig yourself into a corner ie on the wrong side of the trench you've just finished; and, b) when trying to get up the steep slippery side of the hole it's better to pull yourself out with he arm rather than putting the bucket against the foundation and pushing ...  d*

glenn kangiser

Boy, you were really determined to get through that topic weren't you Chris and now great to have you here to talk about it.  :)

Chris.... sometimes we do things like push against the foundation without thinking, just to see what will happen.  You could have got out ...or not.... [waiting]

The way I see it, it was about 50/50.

Now if Whitlock just does not show up and read this I'm OK..... I know he's out of town for now so maybe I have a chance.... [noidea'

new stratos

Hehe, I'm looking forward to finding out what Whitlock has to say about your response - I suspect there's a story  to be told.

Pushing the wall in was quite interesting (once I'd got out of the excavator, walked 'calmly' inside the building and 'let off some steam' - it was about 0800 on a Sunday morning in a residential street: I didn't want to upset my, very nice, neighbours). I hired some screw props, jacked up the roof, took down about a 12' x 10' section of concrete block wall, cleaned all the blocks and had them relaid.

Now to the educational bit I confirmed a few things about the structure - the roof wasn't tied in any way to the walls and there was no damp course (and no damp which just goes to show it isn't always necessary); I fixed both those issues when relaying. The other educational bit was I slept on a door across a couple of sawhorses for a couple of nights (as the structure was now not lockable) and got to hear all the people walking up the street late at night commenting on the sort of moron that would push in a wall when digging a sewer trench :P

Redoverfarm

Seems like anyone who has operated machinery near a structure has either already done or will do the unexpected.  I recall at Dogtrot I was using the tractor with forks near the back where the hillside tapers toward the cabin.  I was trying to get it turned around in a tight spot.  Note to self " do not operate the tractor when your boots are covered in mud".  My foot slipped off the clutch and allowed the tractor to learch forward.  Yep you guessed it.  The forks hit right on one of the wall logs.  The impact caused that course and everything above to move in about 8".  Thanks goodness it hadn't traveled far enough to leave the corner joint where they were supported.  The bad thing is that I already had the rafters and sheeting on top.  To say the least I was pretty well disgusted and pondered on any solution sort of dismantling a portion of the cabin to correct it.  I decided to leave well enough alone and go home and ponder on my stupidity   d* and a solution.   ???

The next morning I gathered the come-a-long and chains.  I was thankfull that this was at a time prior to the chinking.  So gradually I was able to winch the slid log wall back to its original location by pulling from the log course just beneath the misaligned logs to the opposite side of the cabin.  :)

glenn kangiser

Hmm ... don't get me started.... I never screw up...do I.. hmm

My internet was down yesterday . got it fixed last night after a bit of time with better tech support at the internet co.  Learned a couple things... [waiting]

Several days of family out of area company coming up so I might be a bit scarce here.

Chris... that had to be some enlightening talk, eh... rofl

Hiding from Whitlock so he doesn't sneak in with any untold stories.... [noidea'

He's chef at the family barbecue tomorrow.....

[bbq]

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 17, 2012, 03:00:53 PM
Hmm ... don't get me started.... I never screw up...do I.. hmm

My internet was down yesterday . got it fixed last night after a bit of time with better tech support at the internet co.  Learned a couple things... [waiting]

Several days of family out of area company coming up so I might be a bit scarce here.

Chris... that had to be some enlightening talk, eh... rofl

Hiding from Whitlock so he doesn't sneak in with any untold stories.... [noidea'

He's chef at the family barbecue tomorrow.....

[bbq]

BEEFSTEAK? ;)

glenn kangiser

JOHN......SSHHHHHhhhhhhh the children will hear... [noidea'

No - not beefsteak yet, but he is preparing to go to that great cow pasture in the sky.  I am graining him for what will likely be the last time.  He is pretty big by now.

[bbq]

He has been gored in the eye (healed pretty good), bitten by dogs... got another bite or a foxtail coming out his jaw..... so we are graining him and fattening him up while he gets some time past the injury he had on his neck.  It healed well.  We feel so sorry for him we think we will eat him soon.  I will have to start a third freezer for him for sure.  Whitlock has named him freezer burn.  Our neighbor and several others are interested in part of him - I guess I should figure out what he is worth and have him packaged  into quarters just in case. 

Ideas on average prices for a quarter or half per lb.  Seems like we were between $6 and $8 for the grass fed beef 1/4 a couple years ago by the time we paid both the farmer and butcher.  [ouch]

Sassy

w*  Chris, already enjoying your postings! 

Poor Beefsteak - I feel sorry for him cuz he doesn't have any horns to protect himself from the others & they are really mean to him.  Don't know how I'm gonna feel when we butcher him...  will just have to convince myself that it is for the best  :(
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

new stratos

The practical/cowardly way to deal with the Beefsteak issue is to hire a hitman and leave for the day ... I've never had to slaughter a cow, but helped with plenty of sheep. Not my favourite task, but I figure if I eat the chops I've got to be willing to help out on the messy bit.

Anyway, poor old Beefy has probably had a better and longer life with you guys than he would have otherwise enjoyed, so I'm sure he won't mind becoming part of you :)

PEG688

It's all for the better , ole Beefie's had  a good run , nice life.   He'll be tastie on the barbie [cool]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Thanks Chris and PEG.

[bbq]

The hit man is lined up and waiting for my call.  We know which butcher shop we are using.  Just need to fatten him up a bit more.  Probably after the spring grass growth.....   [waiting]

A kid that worked for me (Older kid) was quite a 4H farmer and has always done his own animals.  He volunteered about 6 months ago. 

Mini family reunion today.  You are all invited.  Mom is here.  Son will be here.  Brother will be here with family.  Whitlock will be here with his wife.  I think my buddy Al will likely be here with his wife, and hopefully a few other friends with their kids may make it.  A real mountain man and friends reunion.  :)

Redoverfarm

Glad to hear you decided to part ways with your pet. Was kind of worried that you had grown soft.   ;)  Honestly cattle get to the point where they actually are putting on fat from continous graining for a long period of time.  The butcher will actually cut that off your finished product anyway.  So in essence you are paying to add something that will not be used that much.  Mid winter is the best time to butcher.  In the spring the cattle become more active and their weight will decrease from more activity.  A loss of muscle tissue is something that you do not want in beef cattle.  In dairy cattle it is not as important.  You very seldom see a dairy cow in the same condition as a beef cow.  That is why the cattle lots restrict their movement during the last 8-12 weeks before the knife.  Your finished product will be approximately 50% of total weight in less than 1000#.  A little more (60%) above that 1000 #weight. 

Now you have to start looking ahead.  Will the 1/4 -1/2 beef do you for a year or longer.  Start finding you something that will fit into your schedule.  600-700# for the following year, 400-600# for the second year after Beefsteak.  I am sure that once you start eating your own beef you will never look at commercial meet the same again. ;D

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the advice, John. I always get valuable information from you.  I really hadn't thought much about how much we use a year.  Probably need input from Sassy on that.  The other thing is that if it is freely available maybe our eating habits will change?  Who knows.... [waiting]

I may have to build a better corral area to hold him if the rest head down the hill.  They don't like to be separated much....

Here they were today having a rest... note father and daughter resting in the field and chewing on leftovers. 

...and ... took mom down to have a look at J's place... they finally got moved in though some of the work continues.......   a hybrid of an underground house and log cabin popout with an earth roof.

Took a lot of interior pix this time too.  Looking great in there now. 

glenn kangiser

A few more pix from J's underground cabin.

Note the curtains over the closets in the kids room.  The closets are excavated back into the earth outside the main framing but blocked against it per Mike Oehler's suggestions.  Curtains rather than doors are also preferred by Sassy and I rather than so many doors or even cupboard doors.  They are easily looked behind, add color to the rooms and are completely changeable to an entirely different theme easily.  (Easily for me because I don't have to sew them.... )   :)

The fire place and scissor type clothes drying rack make a great place for drying clothes in the winter when it is too cold and damp to do it outside.... that is unless you are the person who stumbled, fell into the rack, had it scissor shut on their neck and due to their position couldn't get it loose and died.... not a common event though, so yeah... it is still good.....

The upstairs loft handrail makes additional drying space on the cold winter days when the wood stove has the house all nice and cozy.

Thanks to J's wife for allowing us to come by without much warning and tour the house.   [cool]

glenn kangiser

We had a family and extended family get together Saturday.  Mom from Oregon, Son and friend Isa and 2 daughters from LA, brother and family from Fresno area, Whitlock and wife, friends and family from Mariposa area.  What fun.  :)

Loaded the BushHog up and took the kids down to the spring to fetch the cows.  They are pretty happy down there so we had to go remind them that grain awaited at the corral.  [idea]

The kids were rewarded with copious amounts of cow slobber as bossy ate the grain from their hands.

What fun.... [waiting]

Sassy cooked, conducted tours and generally was overwhelmed with being a good hostess as usual.   How does she manage to keep up.... [noidea'

We can nearly always count on our local extended family to come and help out as well as provide music, entertainment and good company.   [cool]

Sassy

My granddaughters were here for a visit for a few days before Glenn's crowd showed up.  It was rainy, cold & muddy but they were thrilled to see the snow one morning when they woke up...

Of course they had to try the zipline.  The girls waiting to go for their 1st ride.

Amya about ready to zip down the line... 

She's 5 &  has no fear - remember her w/the tarantula walking on her?  Angelina was fascinated but no way would she let her sis put the tarantula on her!

Didn't get a still pic of Angelina on the zipline - only videos.

Sassy

Well, I just got a tutorial from Glenn on how to get a pic from a video on Gadwin Printscreen & save it to Photobucket!  Grabbed a pic of Angelina on the zipline.  Can't see her face but what a great way to do this  :)  Thanks Sweetie  :-*

(I usually let him do most of the picture taking & posting)

glenn kangiser

I am truly such a sweetie all of the time, am I not.  :) 

....and so bright and intelligent too as well as humble..... [waiting]

Yes... I shared two of my secrets with her tonight - the other one is a Firefox add on called Photobucket Uploader that will snag a photo off of the internet, sent it to Photobucket and give you the IMG and other link code right on the same page so you can put it directly into your posting.  I did that with thought for the day today.... the David Dees Pix of Bill Gates sending Population Control to Africa in the form of immunizations... OK ... so that is a rumor...... [noidea'

...and last but not least.... I need to talk to Sassy about posting crappy looking pix of me... I can't remain photogenic 24 hours a day...

I forgive her though... she said it was the only one she had... [ouch]

new stratos

Nice photos of the rellies , Glenn ...
As for the grumpy shot, I see that as more of an invitation to run a "write the caption" competition:
"C'mon, hurry Up! I want a go!"
or
"No, No, NO - You're doing it wrong!"

Other ideas?

;)

glenn kangiser

I'm not gonna encourage any of that, mate...

Um...Chris,

Now you've got me talking Aussie.... reminds me of one of my favorite cartoons.....  Note - a bit of mild profanity in the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ENUqV5-bw

new stratos

Excellent!
I suspect that may have been inspired by this documentary - Cane Toads: An Unnatural History - - which is well worth taking a look at if you can get your hands on it.

glenn kangiser

I recall a bit of the story from somewhere.  Seems they were brought in to combat a problem but they then became the problem.  At any rate, that is one of my favorite cartoons.  :)

glenn kangiser

Working on making more flat spots here so I can move the usable unnatural resources from the other place before the thieves get it all.  [frus]

Seems old steel is worth enough now that a pile of unnatural resources down in the valley is no longer even semi-safe.

Whitlock came over and helped me get the Bobcat tire on for about the fourth time the other day.  A rock had rolled between the rim and the frame assisted by the tracks and crushed the rim pretty bad.  I straightened it out, grinding, welding and polishing as needed.  It kept coming undone.  Whitlock watched as I was working and noted the rim spinning inside the bead of the tire about 100 miles an hour. 

....Whitlock says I am exaggerating.........whatever..... [noidea'

I finally decided to run the pressure up to about 75 psi.  Shortly all of the mounting soap was squished out and it grabbed the rim and hung on.  Part of the problem was that I put 1/2 gallon of tire sealer inside with the little rubber chunks in it.  It also was slippery until squished out of the bead area.  Going good now.... :)....

....until all of the violent digging rocks and clay jarred the battery mount loose, the bolt stuck under the alternator belt causing smoke to fill the cab and obstruct my vision..... the engine continued running destroying the belt and nearly jamming the bolt through the top of the battery.

Whitlock says I always break things... well.... I have news for him.  I didn't this time.  For almost 5 1/2 hours.  [scared]