Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmarlon

Ive finally had a chance to go through the last ten pages or so  The cabinets are gonna look great.  Everything's gonna look great.

Scott has your brother started his cabin yet?  Are you gonna have any design input.

ScottA

Thanks.
My brother started dug his footings but that's as far as he got so far. He's had some other issues to deal with lately. Yes I'm helping him with the design but it will be much simpler than ours.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: ScottA on February 16, 2010, 07:51:11 AM
QuoteScott, are you planing the wood down before you make cabinets or simply using stock material?

Nope, just saw the boards and sand them. They are basic but look pretty nice.

I think basic is great.  It is really not a necessity to go beyond serving the function intended.  Wood has it's own inherent beauty.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

New Pics.

I added a little crown around the top of the kitchen cabinets.

Office area getting closer to done.

Pocket door to bathroom installed and cased.

Little cubby in the loft trimmed out.

ScottA

More dusty pics.

Desk in the loft.

Looking down at the mess.

View of the french doors from the loft.

Closeup view of the inlay in the kitchen backsplash. The control to the right is for the water heater.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Golly!  Looks like you're almost done.  Hadn't checked this thread in so long I had about ten pages to catch up on.  It is just gorgeous, Scott. 

Redoverfarm

Looking good Scott.  Yeah it hard to get rid of those little cubby doors in a loft area but now it is not wasted space.  ;)

jdhen

Impressive, Scott.  I really like the built-in desk.  I think I'm going to copy you on that!  :D
Jesse

TexstarJim

That's the wonderful thing about building your own home, all the special little tricks you can do yourself to add character and charm to your home.  Scott has no lack of imagination and is doing some great things.  It won't be too long until I invite myself up to see this rascal.  I know I can find him, just follow the satellite image........hahaha. ;D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

ScottA

You guys are too kind. Jim we'll be having some sort of open house when it's done. You and anyone else who wants will be welcome to come visit.

Bishopknight

Scott, question about the stone mortar stove wall.

Is that the kind of stone wall sold at home depot/lowes in boxes?  It looks great and I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself. Thats why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Sean

ScottA

Jens

I am sure it says somewhere in this thread what kind of a woodstove you have, But I don't want to look for it right now.  It looks almost exactly like ours, except ours has a solid door.  What make/model is it?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

ScottA

Sorry I didn't manage any new pics this week. The trim work is mostly done now. I've got 10 of the 18 cabinet doors made. They are very time consuming. I picked up the last of the wood I needed for the cabinetry in the storage loft and the closet today. I'm trying to figure out what to make the drawers out of. The lumber yard guy suggested 1/2" birch plywood. Any suggestions? The wood for the main floor is in the house aclimating. I need to be done with all the woodwork in 2 weeks so I can start finishing. Busy...busy.
d*

Redoverfarm

Scott I just went with standard 1X (3/4") pine with luan 1/4" ply for the bottoms.  The drawers would only be 1/2" narrower than using 1/2" stock.

ScottA

Some new pics.

Storage loft window.

Storage cabinets above sized to hold banker boxes.

Sample cabinet door. There's a big stack of these (all different sizes) in the bathroom.

Medicine cabinet above the bathroom sink.

Vanity in the bathroom.

ScottA

More pics.

Wall trim detail at truss (typical).

Unsanded plank floor.

Floor from another angle.

Cabinets in the bottom of the closet.

ScottA

This pics for Don.

Just a tiny bit of trim left to finnish up followed by sanding then the finnishes start. Still need to build the drawers over the next few weeks. Once all the finnishes are done I'll install the cabinet doors.

phalynx

That floor looks incredible...   :)

MountainDon

Quote from: ScottA on March 30, 2010, 03:04:22 PM
This pics for Don.

:P  nice doors. good view. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jdhen

Wow, Scott.  Those floors look great!  So there's no T&G?  Do I see finish nails about every 8 in or so at the edges?
Do you plan on sanding them?
Jesse

ScottA

The nails are 7d case head screw nails made for floors. There is a row of 3 nails every 8". Yes the entire floor will be sanded flat and finnished next week. The wood has been in the house drying for 6 weeks. They call this a square edge wide plank floor. I did it according to some info I got from a flooring contractor. The wood I used is not as fancy as most use though. There is 15# felt paper between the planks and the subfloor.

mtman

All I can say is WOW! Really looking good Scott. Now since you took a pic for Don,now you got to take one for Glenn, course that means you have to park the backhoe in sight  :)

ChuckinVa

I see you got you one of those fancy West Va chandeliers over the medicine cabinet. I didn't know you could wall mount them too ? ;D
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American