Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

Quote from: nailit69 on August 08, 2016, 07:18:43 PM
Javaman...  Glad to see you're back at your place and making some forward progress... it seems your project stalled out for quite some time and I was starting to get a little bummed thinking you'd sort of given up on it. 

IIRC, you mentioned in a post that you live up near Brownsville or Keyport? We're sort of neighbors at both places... I live in Olalla and my cabin is up near Palmer Lake.

Yeah, i am very glad to be back at it! Yes, i USED to live near Brownsville.  Was told last week that i need to puckup my stuff from the house... All my stuff.

Sigh.  Ah well.  I will lose myself in the projects that were put on hold.

The road was put in today and it is awesome! Well worth the mobey i am paying the guy...there were tines i was watching him I thought for certain he was going to tip right over...but didn't.  I am pretty sure it would have takene three times as long.

He'll be back tomorrow to dig tue hole for the foundation and pretty up the road.  He is bringing a compactor and is going to have me run that.  Should be fun. 

The plan tomorrow is to drive the truck to the top.  Walking it has become an order of magnatude easier

OlJarhead

Note to self:  when cutting the birdsmouth on a rafter remember to set the angle of the rafter and cut 90 degrees to it rather than just measuring down, marking the beginning of the 6x's the mouth will rest on and then cutting out the mouth d* d* d*

After doing this I smacked myself.  Don't be a hurry!

As it is I had to fiddle with the angles a bit and went from 12.5 degrees (actually 77.5) to 10 degrees and that seems to match the roof better though I may end up back closer to the called for 77.5 once I have the birdsmouth correct.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 08, 2016, 07:35:22 PM
Jeff I'll give you a call when I head up (tomorrow is the plan) for a short stint.  Would be a good time to visit your place :)

Glad you like the 455 :)  I love mine!  It is my sawmill saw now for the most part but I have used it a ton in the last 5- years

I am looking forward to it!  Currebtly about to have dinner in Omak

OlJarhead

Glad to hear Java!  I'm at the cabin now but leaving tomorrow to pick up my new saw (Husky 576xpw -- pro saw) but may be back on Thursday.  THis rain shut me down or I'd be working on my hip rafter still!

Now all you need is to fix that roof!  Or at least tarp it so you can stay inside the cabin instead of your truck

pmichelsen

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 09, 2016, 08:01:07 PMDon't be a hurry!

This is something I try and remind myself of constantly. Take it slow and do it right the first time, or rush through it and do it two, three, or maybe four times  ::)

OlJarhead

Quote from: pmichelsen on August 09, 2016, 11:16:05 PM
This is something I try and remind myself of constantly. Take it slow and do it right the first time, or rush through it and do it two, three, or maybe four times  ::)

Ha!  At my age you're supposed to do that and know that but I just know it....doing it takes me reminding myself!

Ahhh well, I have extra 2x8's and can cut this one down for jack rafters in the end ;)

OlJarhead

Getting close.  If you look carefully you can see the birdsmouth is off :(  Angle is off slightly too but I'll get it right.

My plan was to get this hip done, then use it as a template for the 2nd that will be nailed to it.  It will basically be a template for itself AND the next hip as I messed up the birdsmouth but at least I'm getting it done.

The rain stopped me as it was coming down in buckets (never seen that in August before).

nailit69

Just for future reference... your angle on the hip is different (less) than the common rafter angle... the rise/run on a common is 3/12, the rise/run of that pitch on a 45 degree angle is 3/17.  Looks like that may have been where your mistake was made.

OlJarhead

Quote from: nailit69 on August 10, 2016, 08:22:33 AM
Just for future reference... your angle on the hip is different (less) than the common rafter angle... the rise/run on a common is 3/12, the rise/run of that pitch on a 45 degree angle is 3/17.  Looks like that may have been where your mistake was made.

My commons on the front are 3.3/12 and the side roof will be 4.5/12 but using easy rafters I was able to get very close.  The problem I have, I think, is that I didn't believe easy rafters and reworked the angle of the face cut (cabin side) before fixing the birdsmouth.  I'll have to first recut the birds mouth (as best I can) then check and likely recut the face angle.  Once I do that though I should be able to then make a new hip with the right cuts and set it up.  I'm close now though (as you can see with the 1x that shows only a slight difference in angle (lifted about 3/16ths of an inch at the top side vs the commons).

In the end though, it's a cabin! lol

Gary O

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

OlJarhead

New saw assembled and ready for work :)

Not a lot of difference in the two saws though the small one is the 'home owners' type saw (455 Rancher) vs the 'pro' saw I just bought :)

Now to get the big saw out and cut some logs up with it!  (and to order another bar and chain (or two chains for that matter)

pmichelsen

Man, that's a good looking saw! Wish I could justify one, but my little 440e seems to be all I really need at my place.

OlJarhead

I abused my 455 for several years and it does great for 90% of what I do but with some big logs to work and the need to slab stuff too big for the mill this saw was a must :)  at least that's what I told the wife! ha!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 10, 2016, 09:29:31 AM
My commons on the front are 3.3/12 and the side roof will be 4.5/12 but using easy rafters I was able to get very close.  The problem I have, I think, is that I didn't believe easy rafters and reworked the angle of the face cut (cabin side) before fixing the birdsmouth.  I'll have to first recut the birds mouth (as best I can) then check and likely recut the face angle.  Once I do that though I should be able to then make a new hip with the right cuts and set it up.  I'm close now though (as you can see with the 1x that shows only a slight difference in angle (lifted about 3/16ths of an inch at the top side vs the commons).

In the end though, it's a cabin! lol

Reminds me of mine .... "It's just a shed!"

But the next one will be "Just a cabin" LOL

OlJarhead

Back at the cabin for a couple days.  All I've done so far is ride around on the ATV, put some gopher 'bait' out to stop them from killing the rest of the orchard and just basically chilled out.

Noticed this is the 3rd most viewed thread in the owners forum!  over 500,000 view! WOW!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 16, 2016, 09:19:58 PM
Back at the cabin for a couple days.  All I've done so far is ride around on the ATV, put some gopher 'bait' out to stop them from killing the rest of the orchard and just basically chilled out.

Noticed this is the 3rd most viewed thread in the owners forum!  over 500,000 view! WOW!

That's just me hitting "refresh" a bunch of times a day  d*

J/k ... I am debating heading up this weekend and starting the form "framing"

OlJarhead

Ha!  ;D

Should be cooler this weekend but if your place is like mine it's cooler anyway ;)  88F when I got up here after work today and it was 100F down in town!  ??? 8) ;D

Got a couple hours in today!  FINALLY got some more hardware cloth under the cabin to stop the rats etc from stealing insulation.  I'd started this years ago and never seemed to finish it.  Didn't like the way I was doing it etc and just let it go.  But I finally brought my brad nailer out and ran another 25 feet of the stuff in the worst location.  Won't stop them in other spots but will at least keep them at bay at the edges.  Next trip I'll do more but I want to get a better nailer.

Then I started on the hip rafter.  Took the old one down after taking a few measurements and made a new one.  It went right up into place almost perfect! :D  It's a cabin right?  And no way anyone will notice the 1/8th of an inch or so it's out so I'm callin' it!

Now I just need to get some more nails for the air nailer and then I'll finish securing this one, make a second and set it beside it and nail them together to give me the 4x8 I'm looking for.  Then I can get to work on the jack rafters.

Shouldn't take me long now as I've got my angles set and know what I did wrong before.

With luck I'll have the framing done to the old porch and on labor day I can remove the old roof and finish this one across the entire porch, sheet it above the old porch (sealed up) and string 1x6 across the rest (not fully sheeting it, just setting 1 1x6 every 24" up to the roof I've decided as it's just a covered deck).

JavaMan

Don't forget to unchain the ATV before you go riding it!  LOL

I have a friend that has a line on a FREE (like beer) JOBOX that I will probably take up next spring.  That way I won't have to haul a lot of tools back and forth but I'm going to need to chain it to something.

And you're right - that week I was up there and the temps in Omak got to the high 90's, it was still only in the high 70's-lower 80's up at my place.  The nights were downright cold!

JavaMan

How's the porch roof coming?  Got it done by now?

OlJarhead

Sadly, it sits as is :(  Haven't had a chance to get to it but am heading up today!  [cool] ;D

My wife is bringing the grandsons this evening and while it's supposed to rain I do hope to get some of the roof framing done anyway, do a little hunting (birds) with the boys and generally just enjoy the weekend :D

OlJarhead

Need to do some work on the rafters on the west side (left) but it's getting there.

OlJarhead

By the way, the 3 close together rafters in the middle are due to me screwing up and cutting a jack rafter too short, the wife realized it would fit between the other two and said "what else are you going to do with it?" without a good answer I nailed it in there and said 'screw it'!  It will make the roof stronger! ha!

JavaMan

Looks like progress!  How's the weather up that way been lately?

OlJarhead

Weather was pretty nice actually though it rained pretty heavily on Sunday.

Pulled off those rafters and redid them all.  I couldn't leave it as it was and am happier now :)

Got some blocking in too

Next trip I hope to get more of this section of the roof done (blocking, fascia, strapping) so I'll be ready to install the metal roofing before removing the old porch roof and continuing over it.