Water proof/drain tile for crawl?

Started by beckhamk, April 07, 2011, 04:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

I would like to know if it is recommended to water proof and drain tile the crawl space block foundation?  If we were doing a basement, I would automatically do that.  This will be for a weekend cabin, not full time use - i doubt that makes a difference.

I am just not sure if that is needed or not.  As I got one quote with those options included and another without.

thanks for your insight!

Kyle

glenn kangiser

It could depend on your area and conditions there.  Possibly good drainage around the site from the slope above could be sufficient.  Lots of variables.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

diyfrank

I would at a minimum, Install a drain inside then grade and slope the ground inside the crawl space so any water that finds it's way in can get out and have no puddling water anywhere. Puddling water can lead to rot & mold.

Footing drains on the out side may or may not be needed. If you have ground water it's a good idea. If you don't have a water problem to control you will be creating a space for water to collect by placing gravel around it. Perf pipe generally requirer a few 2"- 3" to build up before it makes it into the pipe.
If your in a area that floods from time to time water can back up through the drain and flood the footing when it may have stayed dry otherwise. 
Home is where you make it