Envirolet composting toilet

Started by mountainmomma, January 28, 2012, 09:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainmomma

Its been an insanely long time since i have posted anything on here. Sorry about that. We got super busy. I had been working on my master's degree and we'd been working really hard to get moved into the house before we got too deep into the winter.

We began a habit of sleeping in the house on Fridays and/or Saturdays but it was tedious because we didn't have any of our things in the house and had to go back to the cabin to cook and live. Finally, after getting carpeting installed in the bedroom, we got things rolling and we moved in during Thanksgiving weekend. We had our parents up for a feast the following weekend.

Its been amazing to finally be in here. It stays so much warmer even in the sub zero weather that we've been having.
Its also amazing to have a drain pipe for our gray (sink) water so that, for the first time in nearly 10 years, I don't have to empty a bucket after I do the dishes. We are still hauling water though and have a couple of small containers on the counter (perched over the sink) to provide water with the flick of a lever.

I am very anxious to get our  composting toilet installed. Its become even more pressing in that I am now nearly 8 months pregnant.  :)

Perhaps you can help us with something. We acquired an Envirolet low water system from a friend that has a large storage unit. The storage/composting unit will be under the house in our giant, heated/insulated crawl space. We're supposed to install a liquid overflow tube. It's meant to go into a cess pit outside the house lined with gravel and whatnot. This time of year, however, there is no digging a hole in the ground and we don't really want to have it run on top of the earth as this is not just urine liquid. Its been advised that before making a solid deposit, we pour a little water in to aid in flushing everything. Normally, it'd be hooked up to water but we aren't at that point yet.
My temporary solution for the winter is to have a container for the overflow to run into which stays beside the composting unit and will be emptied manually from time to time. Any advice of what kind of container to use or how much liquid we should plan to contain for two adults?