Northern CO Cabin

Started by Sandcreek, July 27, 2008, 09:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandcreek

Hello everyone,

My first post on the site, but have been reading for a couple years and have finally purchased the little house plans.  My plan is to build the 12X18 and then later add on a 10X14 to each end and put on the 7 foot porch option as well.  The cabin will be in north central Colorado (13 miles due south of Laramie WY) and will be used by my family for weekend and possible week long trips during hunting season.  I have several questions on different topics that I know the wealth of knowledge here can help me think through.

1) Siding: Due to time and money, I was thinking of T1-11, but was curious if there are other options that are as economical or quick to put up?
2) I like the look of exposed rafter tails and plan to use them on the cabin, but was curious if I use the T1-11 what do I use to cover up the blocking between the rafters?  Or do you cut the t1-11 around the rafter tails?
3) Since I'm in a high wind and snow load I need to account for a 120 mph gust (some number of seconds) and a 50lb snow load.  I plan to use the H1Z on the rafters to attach them and use 2X8 rafters.  I think I saw another post a year or so back where John calc'd the snow load at 40lbs...just wondering if you think the above will cover me.  Honestly, where I'm building the snow doesn't pile up ...it gets blown around - so the wind is more of real life issue.
4) Any general hints to get the building dried-in quickly since I'll have limited time there..I plan to pre-cut what I can in advance...but anything will help.

So here it is the kick-off to my building adventure (I'm a pure rookie), lots of questions (some may be dumb even though they say there is no such thing).  Time line looks like this get up to the place this summer/fall to get measurements for the plot plan, hopefully level and dig the 6 holes (yes in advance of the permits getting issued).  Get the plot plans completed, make changes to the plans John provided to account for windows and such, get a health permit for composting toilet and submit the building plans.  If all that goes OK and I can get permitted I then plan to build next spring/summer just getting the shell up and dried in, finishing will happen later, probably after I do the two other additions.

I know folks here like pictures, so since I don't have any of the building or event the building spot yet here's a picture looking from west to east (roughly) towards what will be the spot we'll build on (just to the left of the granite rock outcropping behind the pines).

Thanks in advance for the wisdom that is typically shared here!

- Mark

John_M

I do have a pretty good imagination......but I don't see a picture.  ???  Maybe you forgot to add it to your post?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Sandcreek

John -

It must be your imagination....just kidding, had issues with posting the picture even after re-sizing it.  Need to go back and see if I can find the instructions (unless someone can give me the reader's digest version) when I'm at the home PC and have the picture available.

- Mark

Sandcreek

OK let's see if I finally have the posting images down (thanks to Mt Don for the nifty photobucket tutorial)

Original picture I described

Aspens in draw in middle of first picture.

This is the last one for now looking North /NorthEast into Wyoming (at night you see the lights of Laramie).