travel trailer/cabin?

Started by michael lopiccolo, June 01, 2005, 07:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael lopiccolo

Hi , thanks for this forum!
  I have a 1987 ,23 ft travel trailer on blocks,connected to water ,from a spring we developed last year.Solar panels that charge 3 batteries,a septic we dug.Hot showers ,everything we need to be comfortable...but its alittle tight.
My plan was to build a cabin,but , time and money are in short supply.

New plan.. , I am going to build a 10x10 room attached to the camper,fir out the campers walls,T-11, roof ,wood stove ....instant cabin. I realize it will still take soom time and money, but at a fraction of what a cabin from the ground up would cost.I am interested in what you guys think, Thank you.......

glenn-k

No reason not to if it will serve your needs.  My son and I have done 2 similar structures on a 50' single wide mother-in-law MH in the valley.  It has worked fine for 25 years.

jraabe

Structurally and economically an addition like that is inexpensive living space.

About the only drawback is that you are not building equity in the place. Such projects do not give you much of a return on investment other than the use of the living space.

Building a solid, stand alone cabin or cottage will cost more initially, but will accrue value over the years since it is seen as a permanent improvement to the property. Trailers, and their additions, are not.

glenn-k

That's a really good point, John.  If I were to sell the property where the mobile is, one addition is a half a cabin on a slab which the mobile could be removed from and it easily made into a whole cabin.  The other would have to be scrapped and of course an old mobile is not worth much.

Amanda_931

There have been plans for that, posted here back a long time ago.

http://www.rvdoctor.com/chalet.html

(I would like to get a house built, and out of this well-designed but not necessarily well-made travel trailer)