Updating your profile

Started by Redoverfarm, April 13, 2008, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I guess it is a matter of choice on what you place in your profile but shortly after becoming a member of CP it didn't seem to bother me on listing my location or a E-mail address.  The more I post and reply on the forrum the more it feels like family.  Sometimes it is a matter of convience and a personalization to E-mail someone regarding subjects of intrest that other member might have rather than posting it on the forrum.  Yes there is a "pm" section that usually is used for this but often I find that when sending pictures or articles of intrest that usually requires going through Photobucket and pasteing them.   

I think that everyone here enjoys the company and valued information gained. I had tried I might say somewhat " unsuccesfully" to try to find out just where everyone is throughout by starting the post "where do you hang your hat" .  Although there were several replies and to me it was a worthwhile endeavor but quickly died. 

I had noticed that the majority of the E-mail address's are listed as "hidden" on the profile.  I am not sure whether this was a choice or just left off and it showed up as "hidden".  I am sure that everyone gets a lot of junk mail or mail from which you do not know the sender. So what would it hurt to get something from someone you know.  It wouldn't bother me one bit. If if looked like they were going to be a PIA then just block them out. 

The wealth of information held by it's members is a diamond in the rough.  I honestly think that by taking a little time to revise your profile and giving a little additional information will go a long way to get to know each other a little better and who knows we might know someone liviing close by to give you a hand or make a valuable friend. 

I have enjoyed CP and look forward to the continued friendship that has developed.

John   

glenn kangiser

For the record, I have always listed my e-mail through the forum link and have never received junk mail related to the forum.

I do get a few e-mails from friends here though, which are welcome.

Editing your profile to show your location can be a great help to someone who may provide you a potential helpful answer as they will have an idea if you are dealing with deep winter frost conditions, hot summer sun or good wind conditions as examples. :)

If you are crazy like me it can give them an idea of locations to steer clear of on their travels. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I don't think I listed mine Red, but it was because of a problem I had on another forum where some really bizarre and unwelcome spammers got a hold of it... they sent gobs of garbage to me through it.  I figured that since you could send PMs on here, that I could pass along my email information when I got to know people a bit without making it completely public.  Oh, but now I hang my hat back in Oklahoma where it belongs... it was a little frosty from three years in Wisconsin. :)

MountainDon

There are enough free email addresses available that everyone can have one of them to list. I use Google Gmail. Any mail sent there can be auto forwarded to your real email address. I have never received any spam traceable to Gmail. I use 'em as a throwaway if the need should arise. Just keep a list someplace so you know where you used what.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.