Septic - relocate leach lines uphill

Started by healthyguy, July 24, 2008, 03:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

healthyguy

Greetings,

I am considering buying a vacation cabin in the Sierras and the only thing holding me back is I dont like where the septic system's leach lines are located.  I would like to relocate them uphill from the septic tank and use that area to build a 2-car garage.

Can these leach lines be relocated?  Can they be relocated uphill? if yes, what should be considered? Do I need a permit? how much would this cost?

Thanks in advance.

Redoverfarm

Today you can do about anything. Just remember that the septic system is gravity feed.  So unless you put in an expensive pumping system it will have to remain the same.  If you can get the right elevation to the new field then I would say so.  Will the new area perc?  Not knowing exactly what your local code is regarding I would say off the top of my head that "Yes a permit will have to be applied for".  Just remember that SRDH.   

glenn kangiser

As John said - if you are in a permit area they will want you to.  They can get rather nasty if they catch you and you didn't but if you didn't understand you were supposed to they may not be too bad.

Now - if you don't open a big can of worms with a bunch of new code requirements - engineered systems in a lot of places now etc.  and you have good soil for the leach lines in the new uphill location, then you will need to add a reservoir, pump and alarm at the end of the septic tank then pump into a D box at the new uphill location to spread into the new leach lines.  No telling what all if they have new requirements, but they will likely make you come up to the new code..
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Asking water to flow uphill is a bad idea if you ask me. It can be done but I'd make it a last resort.

glenn kangiser

Yes - you are totally reliant on electricity and the pump.  I did one for my customer where winter underground water was within 2 feet of the surface.  Not ideal but it was their only choice.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.