This may be a silly question (VC plans)

Started by misspriss, January 29, 2016, 10:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misspriss

Okay, just got my VC plans and I'm super excited. This is the first time I've bought house plans or tried to build a house, so if this is just one of those things I should know I apologize.

Everything in the plans says it is spruce, and we got the materials list too and it says spruce. I'm pretty sure everything I see for sale around my area is pine, is that a problem? Do I need to get special studs or are the pine studs I get locally fine? Should I note it on the plans (they say spruce) when I go to get permits? Does that matter? thanks!

MountainDon

The species (pine, spruce, S-P-F, DF, etc) does not matter as much as the lumber grade, stud grade, #2, #1, Select, etc.   You will see things like "Top Choice" that are simply marketing names and mean nothing. 

This link is to a southern pine specific grading rules page that may be of interest. You can always substitute a grade that is higher on the list for one that is lower on the list, but noth the other way around without making allowances for the lesser strength of the grades father down the list.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

misspriss

Thanks that is exactly what I needed to know!

rick91351

Where it might make an issue is when plans are drawn and certain trim is called for such as ceder trim boards or red wood.  That has nothing to do with structural strength but ability to withstand weather and solar damage....  my two cents worth.... ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

John Raabe

In the General Notes on page 1 of the plans the sawn lumber is called out for as Hem-fir and Doug-fir #2 or better. That can be changed to the normal construction lumber for your area. The lumber yard can give you substitution advice.
None of us are as smart as all of us.