30x40 Earth Berm Passive Solar in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, October 13, 2008, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoHeliGuy

According to code, and design, this is the proper way to install wall outlets, but as you have likely noticed 99% of homes are installed wrong(norm) d*

The reasoning is if something was to fall between the plug and the outlet, it would hit the ground prong first, not a live one.

I to will be wiring my outlet plugs the proper way, not the wrong/normal way.

fishing_guy

My neighbor is an electrician and installs all his outlets with the ground prong up also, for the exact same reason.  I have had him help me out on some outside circuits, and I hate them installed that way.  The plugs always seen to pull themselves out easier.  But to each their own...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

Regarding the outlets... this is a PO-TAY-TOE/PO-TA-TOE issue, IMO. The NEC does not address the orientation of the receptacle. Things are not that anal/bad with the electrical code.

However, if you look around at devices that have display panels that plug into receptacles you will invariably see that the grounding lug is placed down. That places the readout the right way up for ease of reading. Have a look at a Kill-A-Watt meter if you have one. I have also noted that cords with right angle three conductor grounded plugs invariably have the ground lug at the lower edge so the cord flows naturally to the floor.

With those two things in mind I believe that the receptacles are meant to be installed with the ground lug in the lower position so the receptacle presents a "smiley".  

As for the "what if something falls in between the plug and the wall and contacts the hot and neutral conductors?" question.... Aw C'mon, what is the likelihood of that? I think I'm more likely to be struck by lightning or trip over a cord no matter what way the receptacle is orientated. At least that's my take on it.

Install the receptacles whatever way you want and enjoy the freedom of choice. Maybe one room one way, another room the other, and maybe another room with them sideways.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I am like you Don.  I think someone else had told me before that the NEC did not dwell on the orientation only that other guidelines are followed with the spacing and proper amps.  There are several mounted on the horizontal for different applications.  

Why we are on the subject what about distance from the floor.  Set them low when your young and higher when your older. ;)

MountainDon

How about this. What would be the correct orientation?

No, I did not photoshop it. You can find it on Leviton's website

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10065&minisite=10021
;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Freedom Quest

Bishop,

Thank you for sharing.  Your project and rate of progress are truly impressive and inspirational.

May I ask one quick question? - where did you get your house plans from?  I initially thought all the owner-builder houses on here were (by default) from John Raabe 's designs but I don't see yours (listed for sale) online.  Did you design it yourself with some 3D design s/w etc?  If so, what s/w did you use?  Apologies if you've already answered this.

Cheers,
Paul

Bishopknight

LOL Don,

Ya, whats the likelyhood :) Those are awesome outlets actually. Basically, I just followed code according to the book I read ( Wiring a House, Cauldwell ). Thanks for all the compliments. I get embaressed when I get such nice words especially when other houses are so much nicer looking than mine.

Freedom: If John had created some earth sheltered house plans at the time, I would've probably bought them from him rather than design it myself. My design is very simple and I'm sure he could come up with a much more beautiful design that incorporated all the energy saving bells and whistles.

Heres a few other pics of the unfinished "current state"  ;D

MountainDon

Nice desktop monitor....   :)

So what's running on PV power?

rick91351

I am so impressed with your progress. 

Also love your walking dust mop.  Spaniels are some of my favorite dogs.  Great companions, fun to hunt behind but can get in a lot of trouble from being so bull headed.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

considerations

Ahhh, somebody else living in an unfinished project.  Encouraging.   You are farther along than I am.....and it looks good, you are too humble.

soomb

Are you full time at the house, or part time?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

archimedes

Great job.  The place is coming along great.

I'd be curious to here about your experience with permitting and dealing with the building inspector.  Has it been difficult?  I enjoy reading about others projects here, but almost no one mentions their experience with permitting as an novice builder.  Humm?

Also, were you planning on doing your own septic?

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Dog

Wow! Impressive amount of work done in an impressive amount of time.

The place looks great!
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Bishopknight

Instead of pics, I've posted a video walkthrough on Youtube of where I'm at right now in my interior construction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-CZSIwwzA

Second of all, some great news, I recently paid off the $5000 loan I took out a year ago to pay for the trusses and roofing materials, so with that done, I am now officially debt free!!!! No auto, credit or mortgage loans!!!!  I just have my semi-annual property tax payment to make now. $540 twice a year, one in june and one in december. So that got me to thinking what the costs are now monthly to live in my area with no mortgage.

Per month figures

$80 - Property tax
$35 - Electric
$50 - High Speed Internet
$40 - Propane (averaged out over a year)
$40 - Home Insurance
$40 - Phone
-------------------------------
$285 a month

Back in Dallas, TX 3 yrs ago, I was paying around $2000 a month w/ a mortgage and getting no where.

MountainDon: My office is selectively running on PV power when enough is available.

Bmancanfly: I will be doing the leachfield this spring as soon as the ground thaws, then have the plumbing inspector check it before its backfilled. Other than that, there are no building inspectors up here in this part of Maine. Its very laid back.

Soomb: I'm not living here full time yet but its getting closer to being ready.

Mike 870

Man that is great that is a great monthly payment...  It's all relative huh.  You can probably make enough to live off just by freelancing with your backhoe and doing other odd jobs.

archimedes

Are you planning on building the septic yourself?

Bishopknight

Possibly Mike, we'll see.

I have a septic design I'm following. It calls for Hi-Quick4 Infiltrators. The 1000 gallon septic tank is already installed. The tank + delivery cost me around $750 a few months ago.

archimedes

I was thinking of trying to do the septic system myself on my next project.  Seems pretty straight forward, esp. if you have the backhoe already.

here's a interesting website regarding septic DIY;

http://www.eco-nomic.com/septic.htm

Bishopknight

Ya that's an interesting website, unfortunately in my area, a septic design is one of the few requirements for a residence with a well. Best of luck though.

glenn kangiser

Septic system installation is straightforward as long as good design and setbacks are followed.  Some areas allow no one other than a septic contractor to do it.  I have done several in this area and the health official is extremely cautious - to over cautious, but safe.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Bishopknight

I'm heavy into drywalling now. Hiding the butt-edges takes patience. I'm still working in sections so I can see incremental progress.

I also wired the 3 way switch near the doorway and took the outdoor light off the solar panel power circuit. Now the solar power only feeds 1 outlet in the office whenever I turn the inverter on. When the sun is out, I can easily run my PC all day and still recharge the batteries. Once the sun goes down though, I can only run it up to 4 more hrs before I need to turn off the inverter. One annoying thing is having to plug the PC power strip into the solar power outlet when I want to use it. I'm hoping theres a way to hard wire a switch so I can just flick a switch and it will power an outlet based on the switch direction with either grid or solar 110V AC.

MountainDon

Quote from: Bishopknight on February 27, 2010, 03:35:12 PM
One annoying thing is having to plug the PC power strip into the solar power outlet when I want to use it. I'm hoping theres a way to hard wire a switch so I can just flick a switch and it will power an outlet based on the switch direction with either grid or solar 110V AC.

You could wire up something. If it was me I'd find a box I could mount an outlet in and have a toggle or rocker DPDT switch on it. You would need a DPDT (double pole, double throw) that was configured as an ON-none-ON type. That means there's be two positions for the switch, both of them ON; no central OFF like some.

One side of the switch would be wired to a cord that plugs into the normal house power outlet. The other side of the switch would be wired to a cord that plugs into the special PV Inverter power outlet. The center of the switch would be connected to the outlet in the box. Flipping the switch from one position to the other would switch the input from Grid to Inverter.

A problem could arise if the computer did not "like" the power blip when throwing the switch. There are switches with quick make and break actions that would be best suited for that.  Just match the volts and amps and it needs to be AC rated.

Carling Technologies makes a whole mess of switches and breakers. You could browse their web site    http://www.carlingtech.com/products/index.asp  

I have received sample switches from them on occasion. If you have a business name you could ask for some. They will send out one of any type and configuration and send several different types. No charge and no follow up sales people calling. You may have to search a little for how to order samples; I don't recall. It's a new learning experience every time for me.  ;)

You could use a SPDT if you have a common neutral in your system; house and inverter white wires common. If not the DPDT would be best.

EDIT:  go here for the sample order page
http://www.carlingtech.com/contact-us/sample_request.asp

Bishopknight

Hey MountainDon,

That sounds like what I need. Unless I had a UPC or laptop plugged in, I was just planning on turning off my PC before flipping the switch. I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Sean