cottage from shelter pub

Started by afternoonwillow, August 02, 2005, 11:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afternoonwillow

I keep trying to paste a photo of the cottage that shelter pub has to get construction help..I'm great with tools...it's this #@*!! machine I have trouble using.....the cottage has numberous windows...perfect..wanted to use this style with cordwood if possible...do you have any advice as to how many windows can be put into a tiny house without  worrying about snow load, etc....I know I'll need headers, etc....but, I have no idea as to determining amount of weight that can be placed on something this small...if I make each wall loadbearing?  I have to build this as $ is available...going thru divorce/chemo/etc....this place gets me thru the day sometimes....could you tell me how to post the picture here from that site? ???

Daddymem

In Internet Explorer
Right click on the picture.
Select properties.
In the window that pops up next to address is the URL you need to either copy or write down.
Inside your post click the image button. Icon is on the second row, the fourth one from the left (insert hyperlink, looks like a picture in a frame)  
Paste or type the URL in between the bracketed codes (after the first close bracket and before the second open bracket)
"[_img]URL_GOES_HERE[/img_]"

Also see: http://countryplans.com/yabb/help/posting.html

Welcome to the forum

Amanda_931

With Internet Explorer, right-click on what you want to post,  select properties, which will give you the URL for just the picture.  It must be on the web, not just your computer.

You could write that--usually long and awful--URL down, or--

Select (left-click and drag--you know how to do that!), ctrl c, (control c, which means copy), come back here, either paste it--that's ctrl v (possibly for view) in the middle of the "image" buttons, or paste it, select again and then hit the image button so it will be surrounded.  

(I think that's an easier way to use those buttons up there, especially when all you want to do is put one word into bold.  

You've ended the operation where you want to, and you can put all kinds of other things there without doing anything else, e.g. italics underline and strikeout.)

There is a learning curve, even if you are used to other brands of forum.  Everyone gets frustrated by not knowing how to do things on these pages.

This page, was it Glen who posted this, can't see from where I am, modifying my post, which opens in a new window has not only the operations with buttons, but also some other things that will drive us crazy if they get overused!

http://countryplans.com/yabb/help/posting.html

:o                            :-X

afternoonwillow

ok I got the url...inserted it between the bars...hope this works...thanks...I'd been trying to post from a pic in my storage :-[

afternoonwillow

that was a real pretty X there...I like red :Pok
let's try one more time...the url is R-01-B.jpg
so if I insert it here?

jonseyhay

Hi Willow
I think the problem may be that the image you are trying to post is still only on your computer. To get the image to show up on the forum you need to have it hosted somewhere on the web. For instance the images in my posts, I have hosted on my web site. Some of the others use a site called tinypics or even Yahoo, you will find links to these sites somewhere on the forum. The URL or address of the image should look something like this.
 http ://users.tpg.com.au/jonsey/countryplans/watchtowersmall.jpg

The tags, img] and [/img just tell the program that it has to look for an image at the address you past between them.
Hope this helps you some
jonesy.

Daddymem

Yeah, try www.tinypics.com or www.photobucket.com for example.  You store your pics on their site and they provide you with the http://your_pic_address.jpg for you to cut and paste into here as noted above.

trish2

Willow:
Please don't give up trying to post your pic.  From what you said about the cottage I am anxious to see it.

Will light a candle to the computer gods tonight that your efforts will be rewarded.
--Trish

glenn-k

Hi Willow,

When you go to http://tinypic.com/ as suggested above you will be presented with a screen that says upload with a browse button.  That button will allow you to look for the file you want to post from your computer.  Look for the place your file is then click it.  That will put your file in the line on the screen- then click the "Host it" button.  That will transfer a copy of it to tinypic.  It will give you a option of 4 ways I think to get to the picture.  Highlight and copy the one that says "IMG xxx IMG"  (approximately) going from memory-- that is the URL you paste into this forum - doing it that way you don't have to use the img button on the screen.

afternoonwillow

this is the last try....if it doesn't work...I'm eating an entire big blcok hershey bar all by mysel :-[

glenn-k

Ladies and gentlemen, you have witnessed a miracle right here on Countryplans-- Willow's picture just appeared as if from out of nowhere. ;D

PS - willow-- don't let that stop you frome eating the candy bar-- that sounds pretty good. :)

afternoonwillow

Glen...thanks....you did that, didn't you..sorry for all the trouble...I'll get this thing straight yet..or wait for my little granddaughter to visit and have her do the 'weird' stuff for me ;) yep, that's the one...I love it...think it'd be great in the woods and the health would have to improve with all the light...now, back to 1st message...can I replace the stick frame with cordwood? and since this is more than 4 sided...each wall should be/will be load bearing, right?  isn't it cool, tho?   don't let the wife get jealous but  :-*

jonseyhay

Hi Willow
I don't know much about cordwood construction, but I see no reason why it would not be possible to build this little cottage that way. Decent sized beams could carry the loads over the windows. It would also lend itself nicely to a post and beam type construction. That way you could use any type of infill you wished. For the earth bermed part, you could possibly use car tires (earthship style). There are a couple of good websites on cordwood construction about. I'm sure Amanda or one of the others can help there. The roof looks like it would be the most difficult part of this building but is certainly doable. That type of structure should be very strong, think (honeycomb). It certainly is a cute little house; I have the book so I will check it out.
Now, do you have any of that Hershey bar left. I'm a demon for chocolate. ;D
jonsey.

Bart_Cubbins

That is a real sweet cottage. I like the imaginative combination of metal and tile roofing.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use cordwood, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of wall for it. Supporting roof loads is no real problem if the windows are reasonably small and you've got sufficient support posts between them. The support posts would lend themselves to a cordwood infill below and between the windows.

The real issue with a wall of windows is bracing, normally accomplished with a couple sections of solid wall near the corners. If you want a wall of just windows then you'll probably need an engineer to come up with another method of bracing. But it can certainly be done. The current (September) issue of Fine Homebuilding features a house with a wall of windows and bracing using diagonal steel rods.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/fh_173_080.asp#

glenn-k

Actually, Willow, I even had a little trouble getting that one to come up, but it's there now- no problem - my pleasure.

As the others are recommending - I think post and beam with cordwood infill may be the way to go on this with all the windows - no way to stack a strong stack between the windows.  If you get going on this lets talk more about it.  Try Rob Roy's Cordwood Masonry book for good info- available through the Amazon link on John's book page.

What part of CA are you in -in general anyway. ???

trish2

Willow--
Congrats on your tenacity--it sure paid off.  Your little house is a gem.  I am looking for a plan to build a granny flat in the rear of my yard.  This might work.

By any chance do you have any interior shots of this neat little house?

afternoonwillow

I'm in Lake County....spend some time down your way every once in a while....it is soooo nice there...an elderly friend winters in the desert and I try to check in on her over the winter...but, since that's also when my business makes the most money (retail) it's easier for me to get away during the heat.....I take the dogs on road trips since they're rather confined right now due to life style changes....I'm looking for land in Tennessee or Kentucky..try being a southern belle...maybe luck will change ;)once again..thanks for the help...I saw that and even tho' I keep looking..I always come back to that one....I think the berm side would be a great storm/root cellar...add an outer entrance to it...yes..always plenty of chocolate in this house...I told the oncologist that it's one of the few foods I can keep down...she said go for it...and I always listen to the doctor ;D  I even have chocolate scented soap!  thanks all

Amanda_931

Cordwood is often infill on a post-and-beam structure.  If it can be done with post-and-beam it can be done with cordwood.

That said, unless there is something back of that window there might be some problems with racking.  There could be something four feet back that would substitute for bracing visible through the window.  After all, it's just a bay window stuck on an end.

But cute it is.  I wonder what the inside looks like.  And whether it would be better as a writers studio or a small house.

By the way, parts of West Tennessee, especially not too far from the Mississippi--and just north into Western Kentucky--are moderately active or potentially very active seismically--the New Madrid fault is not too far away.  Reelfoot lake, now about to silt in, was formed by a notorious earthquake.  The rest of the state  can get an earthquake, but it isn't too likely to be very big.

afternoonwillow

hi...wow, am I ever glad I found you...so many answers to questions I hadn't asked yet..thanks so much...Glen..took a tour of your house...then, fascinated by the photos...went to cottage cobb...hmmmm...new ideas are running thru the mind...is that a cat form for the fire?  looks like the cheshire cat....where did you find the stove/fridge?  I know there's a place in Stockton, but hadn't seen any like yours...thanks for the info everyone... :)

glenn-k

The cat is a clay oven roughly 5 feet wide overall 30 inches deep and 18 inches high.  It can be used to cook in or as a fireplace.  It was put on a rock that was rather big to move so is not ideal but is very functional.  People love to sit in that area and converse.

It is made from cob -had a fire in it the first night.  Put the head on the next day.

Glad you like our little cabin ;D

We just keep watching for antiques that will fit with our cabin. told my son about the fridge I  wanted - he found it in an ad in Porterville -  kitchen stove  from Coarsegold area - Round Oak stove also.  We also have a 1890 or so toilet and a 1920 hand operated washing machine, and an old Hoosier.  Some are local antiques.

afternoonwillow

Glen, a little off topic, but, is your area considered 'high desert'?  A very dear old lady was staying next door this summer and wants me to visit her (she's not too far from your neck of the woods) next summer,  since I plan on being long gone, I thought I might make the trip this winter...but, what to expect?  thanks, willow

glenn-k

I think all of California is a desert, but I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills overlooking the San Joaquin Valley.  We normally get about 25 inches of rain per year but last year got 50+.  Winters run from about 20F min below me to warmer usually.  On the mountain here at 3000 ft it seldom gets below freezing.  Days usually 45 to 65 or so in the winter.  We are normally above the fog so have some nice winter weather.

High desert would be more to the east side of the Sierra Nevada.

afternoonwillow

thanks...I had visions of Donner Pass...sorry, I took a hair losing ride down from there last winter and do  not wish to repeat it :o thanks for the input...she is a great lady and I enjoyed many hours of listening to her..