Tempered Glass Panels

Started by John_C, October 27, 2006, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

Following the suggestion on John's Sunroom/Greenhouse page I went in search of the slightly damaged tempered glass panels.  No luck at all.

Then I was poking around in one of the big box building supply stores and asked about replacement glass panels for the storm doors that they sell.  Low e  replacement panels were quoted at approx.  $60.00.  This would be about a 32"  x  76"  panel.

Does anybody know anything about these glass panels? They don't seem to be as thick as some I've seen.  Could they be framed into a sunroom wall?  

glenn kangiser

I would say, no reason not to.  I have every kind of door glass panel in my greenhouse - given to me free by the local glass shop.  They were mostly leaking takouts - slice the rubber away with a razor knife and there are two good panels ready to use as singles or build your own dual pane as per the Charlie Wing book.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OldDog

My intention is to use 1 pane from a slider as a window in my loft dormer.  It should make a nice big, cheap window.
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

John Raabe

A low-e panel with new seals for $60 seems like a good deal to me. My "seconds" panels (not low-e) were $30 each in 1982. The seals on these panels lasted an average of 20 years, new seals are better and should last longer.

As you can probably guess from a quick calculation there are still some old panels that need to be replaced in my sunroom  :D

The best overall thickness for energy efficiency would be 1/2" to 7/8" but the low-e coating will more than offset the gain of the wider airspace if the dual glazed panel is thinner than ideal.
None of us are as smart as all of us.