Felt or tyvek? Help

Started by Cody, October 25, 2006, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

Hello, I bought the 20x30 one story plans a couple months ago and now I have a cute framed cottage with no siding. Winter is coming quickly and I dont think I can get it finished so I am curious what would be best to let it weather over winter felt or tyvek. Acually I have tyvek on now but I dont know if it is strong enough to protect the plywood sheathing for the next 4 or 5 months.  I live in Leavenworth Kansas on the Missouri border, cold winters. Thank You for any replys and I will post pics as soon as possible.

John_M

All the research I have done points to Tyvek lasting for awhile if attached properly.  Still lots of different opinions out there.  unfortunately, I think it all depends on who responds.

I personally would think that Tyvek would hold up better over the winter than tar paper.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MikeT

My research shows that their are pros and cons for each and it comes down to a matter of choice.  But since you already have Tyvek on, I see no reason to remove it.  Now this is assuming it was installed according to the mfgrs recs and all.  

mt

PEG688

I'd leave what you have on , on. you might add some vertically run strips of wood lathe to be sure it stays on.

I am assuming the roof is on and roofed.

I'd really think that no paper or felt would be ok , maybe better . Heres why . If it gets wet, which it's gonna with or without the paper, and theres no paper it can dry out quicker. IMO if the roof is on / done / shingled and not leaking your side walls MTL will be fine , better that they dry out IMO than be covered.

Keep in mind your Typar is not going to be useable come spring , you should rip it off and redo it . The UV rays will eat it up even if it's not torn to bits , which is a good possibilty if the wind gets under one spot it will work the paper to death.

IIRC Typar has the longest exposure time , this PDF file says 6 months Typar , 4 months Tyek exposure.

link :http://www.typarhousewrap.com/pdf/Typar_TechBulletin5-24.pdf

G/L PEG      
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

tc-vt

I wrapped my house in typar here in northern VT in Nov. of 2004.  I sided it the following June and July of 20056-7 months later) except for the top section on one of the gable ends which was left exposed until this passed Sep 2006 (22 months).  The paper that was exposed for 22 months had a brittle feel to it and I changed it out before siding the area.  I don't recall noticing any degradation to the paper that was exposed for only 6-7 months (northern winter months).  The pdf file linked in the above post described durability tests conducted in Arizona which is probably the harshest uv exposure you can find in the country so, depending on where you are you may get more time out of it if it is left exposed for some time.

Tom