tips on hanging rebar?

Started by MikeT, October 24, 2006, 06:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

So my footing has been poured.  Now I am in the stage where I am setting forms for my reinforced concrete basement walls.  The engineered plans call for horizontal and vertical rebar at various intervals.  Does anyone have any tricks of the trade for hanging the web of rebar in an 8" wall?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Mike

John_C

Years ago I built a house in the Florida keys that was mostly poured concrete.    Wherever rebar crossed it was hels together by wire ties

Which were twisted together with a wire tie twister

Where necessary the rebar was held up off the forms by saddles

If nothing was available or was too expensive we made some supports out of 3/16 inch rods.

Hope this helps

Amanda_931

Using rebar that is kind of all over the place, that little tool with the handle probably works better than safety wire pliers, which, however worked perfectly to mend some chain link fence one of the dogs had eaten through.

But you almost can't twist one wire around the other--so the whole mess can just slide apart--with them.

These jobs.  I did not get mine from here.  But they looked remarkably like them.

http://www.rcoon.com/SafetyWirePliers.html

John_C

Amanda,
One of the dogs ate through a chain link fence?  You probbly don't have any trouble with trespassers.

Amanda_931

Nahh, just ruined her teeth.

She wants to be inside when there's a thunderstorm, hence, chewing out of the dog pen.

This is the dog that tries to leave with the FedEx guy every time he comes.

tc-vt

Mike,

When I made the forms for my 2-foot tall stem walls I placed 2-foot long blocks of wood between the inside and outside form walls in various places and pulled the sides of the forms together with fence wire spanning from the inside form to the outside form.  The rebar I used was fastened to the fence wire using the rebar wire and the twisting tool.  As the cement was poured I pulled the 2-foot long wood pieces out.  The forms were also braced across the top.  You may be able to see this in some of the pictures posted at
photos.yahoo.com/ny2vermont

Tom