Hearth and heat sheild building info needed

Started by Ray_N, October 23, 2006, 08:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray_N

I have an old cast iron woodstove I am going to use to heat my 12x18 little house.  Whe I use the woodstove in the main house,  I like to keep it just simmering,  I don't like to use them like a blast furnace;  and plan on using the one in the little house the same.

I have some thick tile I plan on using under the woodstove, and wondered if I should use something like durarock/cement board under that.  Along the ajcent walls I thought I would use similar board and regular thickness tile.

Has anyone done this and have any recommendations or other suggestions?

Thanks

jraabe

The sides and back will see the most heat. Your building inspector or Fire Marshall will have specs about the spacing to the stove. It is usually 36" from an unprotected surface such as drywall on studs. That can be cut in half (18") with a protected wall. This could be sheet metal or cement backer board with tile. This wall needs to have 1" of standoff from the combustible wall and airflow into the bottom and out the top. You can also put a heat shield on the wall side of stovepipe if needed.

I have a 6" concrete block wall behind the stove with 1" behind that to the studs. It has never gotten close to being too hot at the framing. When I did a new stove install I put a heat shield on the wall side of the single wall pipe to the masonry chimney. That did get the wall pretty hot a couple of times on the old stove install (w/ unprotected pipe).

An incombustible hearth is likely all you need but tile is best done on a base of cement backer board (or slab) - especially a hearth where you might be pounding on wood.

optionguru

As usual John is right on.  I just went through this whole process last week and I built my hearth with two 1/2 inch layers of concrete board covered with some nice slate looking tile that me and the kids broke for some natural looking shapes.   The stove shop told me that an unlisted stove with 9 inch legs requires a 1 3/4 thick non-combustible hearth.  Good Luck

jb52761

I set my wood stove on top of one of those fire boards that you buy along with the stove. That seems to work, been using the stove for two seasons now, but one tip that I recommend is to put a 2 or 3 inch layer of sand in the bottom of the stove. This acts as insulation betw2een the fire and floor, and after several hours of burning, I can touch the board directly under the stove and its hardly even warm, let alone too hot... ;)