STRAWBALE DOGHOUSE TO CONVERT

Started by mark_chenail, February 21, 2007, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_chenail

Heres a link to a wonderful how-to video.

http://www.deltarescue.tv/video/straw/150

This man is building strawbale doghouses at his animal rescue mission, but his method could easily be used with minor adjustments to build simple structures of all sorts.  Just the solution for folks who are homesteading raw land and want to build something quickly that will provide a warm, dry shelter for little money. This video is so detailed, even the most hamfisted sunday carpenter could manage to follow the instructions.

Any thoughts on converting this method of framing for people sized structures?
Light 2x4 framing with interior painted sheathing and strawbale exterior and a window or two would seem to cover the necessities.  Seems as if you could even bring in rudimentary electrical service with little trouble and it wouldnt take much to heat the place in even the coldest climate.  Lets see what you all think.

jraabe

Most interesting Mark:

A great little How-to video. And, a basic shelter house could be built on similar principles.

ailsaek

Wow, that was great.  That looks like it would make a heck of a root cellar, too (assuming you put the structure on top of a dugout bit rather than flat on the ground).

glenn-k

Good point, Ailsa.

I don't know where he was exactly but I would estimate that even where he is the bottom bale would be gone the first year on the ground and totally soaked.  The single board on the ground is very marginal - possibly ok with a layer of gravel under it for drainage, but here the gophers would fill that small space up with dirt within a few months and fungal growth would start immediately.  I have a whole stack of composted straw bales that says I'm right.  Still - the ideas with added improvements would render a possible long term shelter.  A leak free roof over the bales is a must whether it be conventional or stucco.  We tried stabilized earth plaster an some benches and they failed by the second year.

mark_chenail

Yes "the foundation" seemed a bit inadequate but a small concrete slab wouldnt be too hard to do or perhaps a TR floor on skids.  I dont think the structure would last forever, but considering how inexpensive it is, it would probably last long enough as a base camp while you were building a more substantial house.  A definite step above a tent and it could continue on later as a shed, chicken house etc.

jwv

Very cool, I just wish he wouldn't say "Hay" so much.  There is a very distinct difference.

Judy

Amanda_931

Straw's almost certainly better for most building purposes, but I think that some of the original Nebraska structures were built with hay.  

It still bothers me too!

Erin

Some were built with wheat straw, some with prairie/grass hay (which isn't quite the same as alfalfa hay, or even heavier grass hays that you find farther east)