Tiny Craftsman "Core" in the Ozarks. 81/2 ft x 18 ft.

Started by MartyM, March 20, 2012, 07:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyM

I want to thank you all for posting your builds you have been a big help in my planing and building ideas.   

I have been working on the Core of my cabin for about 10 months now and have been kicking my self for not starting this thread sooner, sorry folks.   Better late then never.    I have 1.5 acres in rural Arkansas.    My cabin site is a 9 hour drive from were I am currently living.  The 9 hour drive and my limited vacation time would make for a very slow build if I were to try and build on site. So I am taking a slightly unconventional approach to building my cabin.   The first phase will be the core of the cabin, it will contain my kitchen, bathroom a small sitting area and two sleeping lofts.  All this will be built on a 16 foot flat bed trailer and hauled down to Arkansas.  The Core could stay just as it is and be a great place to spend a few days or a few weeks at a time. My hope is to add on down the road as time and money permit.

I have taken a few photos of my progress along the way, but I I find myself forgetting and just moving on to the next step.  I hope that by sharing the build you folks will help keep me focused on the sharing part. 

Here is a few photos of the outside as it sits now.  Keep in mind it is in my driveway and its hard to get good pictures of the whole structure. 

The cabin will sit on a southern slope facing due south.  Here is a shot of what will be the west side, and my kitchen window.

A shot of the south face, and my front door.

And a shot of the north side with a bump out for a futon that will be both a couch and a spare bed.  The bump out will be removed for transport and then reinstalled  on site. 

I have been using a mix of materials along the way.  The lower siding is old rusty barn tin that I got off Craigslist.  I got tons of the stuff for $65. Think I will have enough to do any future additions I have in mind.  The Redwood siding also came from Craigslist. It was the 2x6 flooring off an old deck.  I split the 2x6s from corner to corner then added a dado on the thick side making a ship lap joint.  I really like the look of the Redwood and it was another great deal.  I had just enough to do this phase of the build.  All the trim, windows and the front door  are Ash that I milled myself.  I saved the large window on the north bump out from a trip to the dump. It just happened that while I was constructing the bump out I happened to drive by and saw it sticking out of a dumpster. I"m so glad it found me.  It really adds a lot of light and with the 2 small windows located high on the south side it really makes a great cross breeze.

I am just getting started on the interior and I will get some new photos posted soon.

Redoverfarm

Nice mobil home.   ;D  What is the heigth of your build from the road surface?  Will you have to acquire any special permits to move it?  Waiting for the interior.

duncanshannon

very cool.  would love to see some plans and / or interior photos! 
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

MartyM

Red. 
The road height is 13ft 4 inches and its just under 8 and 1/2  feet wide, so no permit needed.

duncan. 

Sorry no real plans.  I had my mind made up on the shed design because it is so simple to build and  it lends it self well to a comparatively  large addition. I  then used a free online floor planer to squeeze everything I wanted to fit into the 8 1/2 x 18 foot print.

The up side is I haven't deviated from my plans yet.  d*

I have been working by my self for the most part.  I got some help standing up the 2 larger walls and some help getting the plywood up on the roof, that's about it.  I put in an hour or 2 most evenings after work, and most of my weekends have been spent on it as well.  The interior is going to take me some time.  I really enjoy cabinet and furniture building, its one of my favorite hobbies.   I tend to get a little
carried away building for myself when there isn't a bottom line to worry about, and just build for the joy of it.

I posted these shots of my front door on another thread but I will share them  here as well  to give you an idea of me getting carried away on the fun stuff. ;D

Danfish

Great build!  Love the fact that you are using recycled materials and hopefully saving money.

That door is way cool!!!

waggin

Very pretty, and I can't wait to see it in place on your land!  Great idea on using your time efficiently at home to build, and I always get a kick out of seeing people use recycled materials to create something functional and beautiful.   [cool]
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

considerations

Do you have some interior pics you can share?  Intriguing!