Inspection pictures of the week

Started by Jimmy C., May 05, 2006, 10:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

There is a lot of dont do this at home pictures.
As a first time self builder with no inspections, this is good stuff for me to see!
http://www.inspectionconcepts.com/Picture%20of%20the%20week.htm
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Dustin

You too can spend $400,000 on a house built by someone else and have sickening defects like those!
Good thing I'm building the house myself this time....

Amanda_931

At least you'll know who to blame (if, say, all you have when you put on the shoe to protect pipes going through studs, and all you have in your nail pouch is roofing nails).

Doug Martin

The plumbing picture (linked below) astonishes me -- someone just stuck a 1 1/2" dwv pipe down into a 4" sewer pipe an figured they were golden.

Wow.

http://www.inspectionconcepts.com/sewer_vent_pipe_1.jpg

glenn kangiser

On a septic system I installed, a mobile home installer jambed a 3" waste pipe into a 4" hole in the septic tank with no tee and told the owner it was hooked up for inspection.  I undid his work and installed it right with the tee in the tank.  Mud and water had run into the tank through his "hooked up" job.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

No kidding!

I've been playing with water (not waste) pipe for the water tank long enough that I suspect that it's pretty easy to change pipe sizes, and if necessary put in rubber elbows and reducers/expanders.

I don't like to do it much, mind you!

water8

OOch!  Good site to add to favorites.  It's true - you CAN learn something from everyone.  My parents are building a house, and went to look at one (set on a beautiful lake) that had a similar floorprint to theirs - but selling at 2.5 million!  Well over 10x what they are spending to build theirs.  The siding was nailed on, and where the nails had bent while driven, the builders just bent them over and nailed them into the siding!  And it had cedar shake roof - with the bottoms of the shakes nailed to the roof!  Just goes to prove that price does not determine a well-built house.

PEG688

The siding was nailed on, and where the nails had bent while driven, the builders just bent them over and nailed them into the siding!

[size=12] There's bad builders , just like every other occpuation out there.

Read Ted Benson article in the latest FHB , pg 8 No. 179 , "Houses " issue , he takes a stab at explaining it.  Pretty much right on the money if you ask me , but then again you didn't ;)

[/size]  

And it had cedar shake roof - with the bottoms of the shakes nailed to the roof!  Just goes to prove that price does not determine a well-built house.

[size=12]

This one I have heard about , the young guy who used to drive for the local lumber yard is now a roofer/ owner of a roofing company. He just quit the driver job this week and was telling me about his new venture  :o ::).

Seems they nail , with S/S saples thru the lower edge to hold down the tips  ::) ::) The shakes we get here are so bad I won't use them  on a roof , side wall ,, ya ,, ok,, but not on a roof . If you have to treat/ dip  a skake  so it won't rot your wasting your time and money. IMO

So I have heard of this nail lower edge , I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT , but I have heard of it  ;D :o ::)

BTW bad inspectors / engineers / architects / computer designers / cooks / etc . , etc. do exist. Not just bad builders / contractors  ::)

[/size]  

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jimmy_Cason

Amanda_931

Yep, the hardiplank is a composite, so there's no strength along the molded-in grain.

None of us has ever, ever,  ever tried to nail things on (if we want to excuse ourselves!  ;) ) twisted studs or joists, had the first two nails just pop right in, obviously hitting air.

glenn-k

Here's one for today ---

A BOO-BOO --- when cutting the drain holes they accidently cut the lifting cable --- crane picked it up -top at about 40 feet - the cable pulled out of the concrete and about 20000 lbs came crashing down on top the other panel and the trailer.  People were scattering quite quickly during the split second when it was deciding which way it was going to go.  A major inspection missed.

Panel = 8' x 35' concrete slab -- actually loaded back on the trailer pretty well when it fell.  Smashed the frame a bit though.