question about jobs

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, February 11, 2008, 02:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

We're all in the middle of the process of getting ready to move to Oklahoma and for my husband to move to a new job.  He just called me from work very aggravated because someone from the new company called and demanded to have the phone number for the HR department so that they could verify employment etc.  He asked them to be sensitive because he is still working at the company and didn't want them to get him in trouble, so he asked what they were going to ask his employer.  The guy on the phone jumped all over him and basically told him he'd ask whatever he darn well pleased and it was none of DH's business!  Needless to say, DH's stress level just went through the roof... So, what is the norm for those kind of verifications?  I thought they were only allowed to ask if you were employed, in what capacity, and salary?  He was going to submit his resignation letter this afternoon, so he is now even more stressed because it is kind of tipping off his employer, whom he's had a great relationship with thus far, before he has a chance to talk to him about it in person.  Surely that's not the normal process?  I called the HR person at the new company to ask her something else, and she said that the background checks and employment verifications are carried out through an independant contractor...  :-\  Told them they may want to reconsider and do it in-house from now on.... almost made DH decide not to turn in his resignation because he was so mad over the guy's attitude.

StinkerBell

Before you had noted that he job verification process was sourced out I had a bad feeling. I thought maybe this company he is going to it not a good idea if they behave that way on the phone. I am not sure of the rules in your state, but I know in WA they can only call and verify employment, that is it.

MountainDon

Well, no matter what the laws may state about what might be asked, do people always obey the laws?

The caller might ask anything in hope of receiving an answer. Many companies, on the being asked end, will go no further than to verify dates of employment, maybe the position held, maybe salary. They don't want to get sued and so avoid that by remaining quite mum on the subject.

State laws vary and have a lot to do with it. In NM if you were dismissed from a job for something criminal, that can be released as a reason for dismissal, but not the specifics unless police were notified. I'm just throwing that in as info; I know that's not the case here.

Some companies refer callers to a third party database. I don't recall the names... there were two I was aware of a few years back.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Hmmm... well, he got the go-ahead from the new company that all his paperwork is good, so he went ahead and finalized the decision by handing in his letter of resignation.  I could tell he felt bad about it... he said his boss actually teared up when he told him.  Too bad this place is so cold and so far from family; he liked working here, and it is always nice to work for good folks.

tanya

The new company defiately has to ask him if they want to contact his employer and he has to give his permission for that.  Once he gave his permission and had a job offer he wanted to accept that would have been the best time to turn in the resignation.  Companies don't check references or with employers unless they have made a job offer then they will usually say, here is a job offer but it is contingent on getting the references/employment verifications.    New companies don't like people who don't give adequate notice either, they think well.... that could be our company.  I have recently had a situation where a former very good friend of mine said something to someone she worked with that was confidential in her professional duties, the co-worker told his ex wife (my offices admin officer) the info which by the way was very incorrect, downright gossip,  and the info got back to my onsite supervisor who did everything in her power for months to get me to quit when I didn't she took her first opportunity to have me fired.  I worked an exempt position with a flexible schedule and I had stayed late twice during the week but on the last day of the week I left half an hour early because of a huge snowstorm.  I got fired after five years of excellent performance reviews.  That is what small town living is like, I haven't worked since other than doing new construction clean up and other odd jobs.  I am a preofesional counselor.  The comapany is terrified that I will sue and I certainly could although I don't really see what good that would do.  So instead of letting it all get to me I just decided to do what I love and be a real farmer and now I am a politician too. Oh and my best friend of over thirty years?  Well I don't know her anymore.   :)
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.