any snow mobile users on this forum? I have some questions...

Started by NM_Shooter, January 01, 2008, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Since the property that I am looking at is way, way in the back high country, access to this is not easy in the winter. 

I am wondering about snow mobile access, and have a couple of questions:

1)  how do these sleds do in really deep, fine powder?  (Think 4 to 6 feet)

2)  I'd never go back into this area without a buddy on another sled... is it possible to pull a disabled sled out with another sled?  Even in powder?

3) For those of you who might access your property in the winter, how do you protect your sleds from the weather, or is this usually a non-issue?

Thanks for any input...

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

My snowmobile experience is limited and a very long time ago. But for what it's worth, here goes.

Some models are built to perform better in deep powder than others.

IMO, there is no way a snowmobile is going to pull a disabled sled behind it.

Weather protection; a shed is ideal, next best would be one of those fabric covers with sturdy tie downs to keep blowing snow out of all the nooks and crannies.

One handicap we have here in NM is the paucity of snowmobile dealers. ABQ has only 2.  IMO, the guys that sell the Polaris know more about the machines than the folks at the Yamaha dealer. They also stock more models. I'm thinking of looking in the Denver area next year unless something pops up locally that I like. Looking for gently used; if there is such a thing.

The Polaris guys will arrange to give you a demo up in the Chama area somewhere if you talk to them.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

check out craigslist rvs for used sleds....

Chama, huh?  How convenient!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Frank I used to ride them several years ago. The main thing that I remember is to carry extra plugs and belts.  Seem like everytime we got any measurable distance from home a belt would break or a plug would foul out.  As for the powdery snow it comes to mind that you have to stay on top.  Hard to get one on top after it has broken through.

MountainDon

We found a used, but very good looking Polaris 440 today. liquid cooled. 1994. 2200 miles. $1000.

Now we have to drive up to the snowy mountains and see how it works.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.