24' x 32' Lake Cabin in Oklahoma

Started by TexstarJim, August 12, 2009, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexstarJim

Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

novicebuilder

Still too wet to work I suppose?  One thing about it, your foundation ought not to settle any after this drys up. 
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do; do it with thy might.........Ecclesiastes

ScottA

We've only had 1 rain free day in the past 2 weeks. He probly gave up and went home.

TexstarJim

Last month, September, we had 14 days of rain keeping the ground saturated.  This month it has rained every day so far except for Oct the 2nd.  I mentioned early on in this thread I wanted to have my house in the dry by the end of October.  Perhaps I should have said "in the dry" by the end of October 2010.   d*

TexstarJim

Three days of sunny weather has given me the opportunity to get some work done.  Scott had said after the picture of the joists was posted not to forget to block.  Hard to forget something you don't like doing and I finished blocking er up this afternoon.  Only wish I could have got the joists blocked before they were soaked with rain.  Minor warping and some cupping, but not too bad.  Made it a little harder to fit the blocking in, but its done now.

I have a question:  My plan has always been to insulate the floor from topside before laying down the floor decking.  Its so much easier that way, but I was wondering about skipping the insulation til later in the interest of speeding up the process of getting this thing in the dry before really crappy winter weather.  I could actually do without the insulation in the floor for one winter.  I know the floors would be chilly to walk around on this winter and my heating bill would be more, but I really want to get this thing ready as soon as possible.

Anyone care to share their thoughts or ideas?

ScottA

Thats what I did. Sucks crawling around under the house to do it but it's not that bad. Much easier to do in cool weather. Also if your ground is rocky like mine get a piece of foam board to lay on.

MountainDon

I will never recommend putting the insulation in and then building the house on top of all that.

To me, it's an open invitation to have something go wrong and have the insulation get wet. Some have done so with success. I do not like to tempt fate, however.

I also did not like the idea o crawling around under the cabin stuffing insulation and installing the 3/8 plywood under the joists. I paid the neighbors unemployed adult son to do the job.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bobmarlon

I used 3/4 fir t/g glued it and pounded it down with ring shank nails.  No water got through I had to drill a whole to let the water out if that changes your mind at all for putting in your insulation.  I would wait though.

poppy

Jim, for what it's worth, I am going to insulate from above, but not until the cabin is dried in.

That process won't be unreasonable for my build because the subfloor does not go under the side walls.  It may not be so easy for you.

I don't like the idea of having insulation in the floor before having a roof.  Rain is not your friend, as you have discovered.

Another alternative is to put a layer of dense foam board between the subfloor and the finish floor.  It doesn't have to be very thick to be effective.

TexstarJim

I sure appreciate all of your input guys and based upon your recommendations, I have decided to wait until after the cabin is in the dry before insulating.  Thanks again. :)

novicebuilder

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do; do it with thy might.........Ecclesiastes

TexstarJim

No nb, the only thing I have been able to do during the entire month of October was to get my blocking in between the floor joists.  Nothing new to see for now but as soon as I have er decked, I'll get some new pics up. :P

TexstarJim

I was able to start back work after a long month of rain in October and I've been building the deck/porch for the lakeside of the cabin.  My floor decking (4x8 sheets of 5/4 T&G plywood) will be delivered tomorrow and the forklift will set the load up on the deck at floor level.  Those sheets of decking are heavy and awkward to handle.  I didn't want to have to lift them (7 feet from the ground up to floor level) all the way up there by myself.

I had to build a drop-down deck (I call it my quarter-deck) in order to prevent a really long run of stairs.  If I hadn't split the deck up as I have, the stairway would have ran out into my driveway/parking area.

I haven't added any bracing yet, but will have to before the delivery is made of the decking.  It will weigh around 1200# and there must be some support in order to carry that large of a load.  One thing about it, if it holds and doesn't come crashing down I can always relax in the future without worries the deck will take a Peter Pan on me.

Don & Ginger Lundgren

I like it so far. I think that the platform part way up will be a nice touch to the deck as well as functional. Gives it more character in my mind.

Daddog

It's looking real good, Jimbo! I can hardly wait to get up there and sit with you on the deck with a hot cup of coffee in my hand peering out to the lake.
"Right relationships are more important than being right."

TexstarJim

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.  Jerry, you're always welcome around here.  Heck, I might even splurge and buy some "Starbucks" fancy coffee. 8)

ScottA

Good idea building the stairs now. That's what I did too.

TexstarJim

Delivery driver bringing the decking down the driveway with the forklift:

Once down the hill, he raises the load up to the height of the porch/deck:

Now I have this heavy decking setting right at work level without lifting each individual sheet over 7 feet up in the air one at a time.  I firmly believe in taking the lazy man's way of doing things and if I can avoid extra work, I sure will.

TexstarJim

Here's a picture of the decking stacked up at work level and the background shows the lake.  Notice the pretty blue skies too! :)

The shoreline is about 125 feet from my house and in the winter I can see the lake without any problems.  In the summer when all the trees are full of leaves, the view of the water is limited.

Redoverfarm

Jim good idea with stacking the sheeting.  That way you will only have a few to move around when you finish.  

Daddog

I thought you would have had all that decking nailed down already! What's the holdup, Jim?
"Right relationships are more important than being right."

TexstarJim

I would have but I can't figure out which side goes up and which side goes down? ???

poppy

Do I remember you reporting that the sub-floor is 5/4?  That in combo with 12" joists means that you have one stout floor system.

What are you going to load that floor with?  An extensive book library? A huge gun safe?  A pink elephant? ???

briantomhson

Very nice post with a ton of informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information
instead of the typical "I think" mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.

TexstarJim

This if the first row of decking going down.  I laid 30# felt paper on top of the floor joists before laying the decking down.  This does two things, actually prevents "squeaky" floors and decreases air flow. 

Disregard the sheet of OSB laying there, its only purpose was to give me a platform while getting the first row of decking laid.  No fun to step through the floor joists and its hard on the skin of your legs.

I got half the decking down today, will finish tomorrow and add a picture or two of the finished floor.  Placed my order today for framing material and it should be delivered Friday morning.

Brian, thanks for your comment.  I like to share what little knowledge I have and hopefully someone can put it to use someday.  I know I've learned quite a bit by others in here sharing their knowledge.

Poppy, yes......... the floor decking is 5/4 setting on top of the 2x12 joists.  So far, it seems really solid without any bounce.  I started using 5/4 in the mid 80's and although it is a hassle to work with, I've not found anything that I like better.  When I first began carpentry in the early 70's we used "resawn" laid on top of the joists on the diagonal and then the flooring.  But somewhere along the way, they quit making resawn and hardly anyone I talk with remembers it.