24' x 32' Lake Cabin in Oklahoma

Started by TexstarJim, August 12, 2009, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexstarJim

The cabin is dried in and out of the weather now.  My roofers went home for Thanksgiving and will be back next week to put down the metal roof.  They just didn't have enough time to get it done this trip.  But there's a layer of 30# felt paper laid on the roof deck, the fascia is on and the two gable ends have the exterior siding installed.  The rain cannot get inside and now she'll stay dry.  I hesitate to say the cabin is "in the dry" without the metal roof, but it will stay dry. ;D

Hard to see everything with all the scaffolding around the cabin, but tomorrow before I leave to be with my family for Thanksgiving, I will try to get a shot or two and post them.  It was too dark this evening when we finished to take any pics.

I'm wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and hope your blessings are rich and full this holiday. ;)
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

poppy

In the hills of southern Ohio, tar paper makes it "in the dry."   :D

Looking good, Jim.

Looks like the roofers spared no expense for the scaffolding.   :o

TexstarJim

Thanks poppy, appreciate your input.

Heres a picture showing the gable end sheeting installed on the north end of the cabin;

Same shot from the south end of the house;

Front view of the cabin;

An interior view looking south from the northwest inside wall;

From where I took the picture above, I step outside on the deck/porch and this is my view of the lake:

Tomorrow I will pick up a push broom so I can clean up the inside floors before I build the interior walls.  I've picked up the attachments in order to get the stove pipe installed for my wood heater.  I've  have the roofers install the stove pipe and also the 3" vent pipe when they do the metal roof next week.

The big bay window is here and I still need to pick up the 6' sliding patio glass door for the side of the cabin facing the lake.  (2) 3'0'x4'0' windows go in the south wall and one in the north wall.  I will put a 2'0x3'0 slider above the kitchen sink on the east wall and a 3'0'x3'0' in the bathroom, also on the east wall.  My entry door's upper half is glass, so this should give me plenty of natural light and a good view of the lake.

Redoverfarm

Jim I noticed that the siding does not cover the rim or band board/joist.  What are your plans there?  The pressure I would not worry about but the white wood would cause me some concern wit the siding dropping water onto it.  You could flash it with coil stock color matched close to your stain. If your siding is not nailed tight it would be an easy "slip under". Just curious  ;D

TexstarJim

Red, that will depend on my insurance agent's agreeing with me choosing not to put skirting around the house.  I really don't want to ever have to skirt this house, even if it means cold air circulating beneath.  But I may be required by my insurance company and that be the case, then I will simply raise the skirting up to join at the bottom of my siding.  It will have flashing and all the necessary material to keep the moisture away from the bottom frame.

If I had not chosen the particular siding I did;  The T-111 composite material, I would have sheeted the house with OSB and extended the bottom layer down to attach around the rim of the band board/joist.  That makes a much stronger and secure building.  My rationale for not doing so is simple;  The T-111 I used is not available in 9 or 12 foot lengths.  I used this stuff because its already primed, can be painted or left alone for extended lengths of time without maintenance, and I can always come back later and apply vinyl siding.

Plus, I wanted the house to match my little storage building because I used the same T-111 to sheet around it.  I hope I can leave the skirting off because I like the idea of the house being open beneath.  Plus, I'm insulating the pee-diddle out of the floor so hopefully, my choice to leave the skirting off won't be too big a deal in the future.  I'll have a triple redundant heating system;  propane wall heaters, wood burning stove, and a 2KW heat strip in my ac unit.

Thanks for your input and question red, appreciate it. :)

ScottA

TexstarJim we just converted our insurance from construction to homeowners. They came out and took pictures at deer run about a month ago. Not one word about the bottom of the house being open (no skirting).

You're making great progress.  :)

TexstarJim

I guess it all boils down to the insurance company and what their requirements are.  I'd like to stay with the same company I have now for "builder's risk" and just do as you have done, convert it over to a regular homeowner's policy.  I'll call them pretty soon and see if I can gather some information regarding their expectations at completion of this project.  Thanks for your input Scott.

Dallas2build

Anyone heard from Jim?  I've been following his progress as have you all and now we haven't heard from him in a couple weeks.  Hope he is ok.  Working alone is so dangerous, I know I've fallen more than once. 

TexstarJim

I'm doing fine, thanks for your concerns.  Haven't posted anything new due to me not getting much more done lately related to the weather.  It turned into winter immediately after Thanksgiving here and just too cold for me to work outside.  I'm looking forward to a little warming trend pretty soon. :D

TexstarJim

Had a few days the temperature was up over 40 degrees and this allowed me to get some cornish work painted.  I installed the soffit along the east side today and will trim it out tomorrow if weather permits.

I wish my roofers hadn't tacked the drip-edge up, now I will have to tape it off before painting the fascia.  They only put it on the east and west side........thankfully.

Here's a shot showing the entire run on the east side;

My trim board is painted and ready to nail up, just have to wait til tomorrow.  Once I get the trim up beneath soffit joining the wall, I will make some trim to nail under the soffit joining the fascia.  I'll use 1" stock, router it, then paint it before installing.

My goal is to get all the cornish work done, including painting, while the scaffolding is still in place.  I've been limited the last two weeks due to the cold weather that restricts me from painting.

Another factor due to my age is the danger of falling.  I've kept off the scaffolding going up under the gable ends because of their height.  I have to have someone here in case of an accident, otherwise I might survive the fall only to lay here and die of exposure.  Living alone has its advantages and disadvantages. 

Funny though, my last wife trained me well because I still put the toilet seat down and she's been dead 5 years....  ???

TexstarJim

Also, there will be two (2) windows only on this east wall.  One bathroom and one kitchen window.  This is the wall that faces the road up above me and I wanted to restrict snoops by having limited windows on this side.  The trim paint was matched at Lowes on their computer to match the roof and the color you see (pre-painted) on the wall is called "Doe-skin" and I liked the light brown color offsetting the richer copper color of my roof/trim/soffit.

I'm trying to have enough painting done as I said in the previous reply that I will not have to use the scaffolding later.  It comes down anyway when the roof is finished.  My roofers are waiting on a few days of warm weather before they attempt to install the metal roof.  Although I would like the roof to be on now, I reassured the roofers it was entirely up to them to make that decision.  They live around 200 miles away and have been great to come up and do the work so far and they're very reasonable in their rate.  Good guys.....  ;D

Redoverfarm

Jim if you are putting up gutters then I wouldn't worry about taping it off as any paint accidently brushed will just be hidden. 

TexstarJim

Yes, I hadn't thought about that red.......... gee thanks, you saved me the trouble of masking off the drip-edge.  I can "cut" the paint in well enough and like you say, any little dab happening to get on the drip-edge will indeed be covered by the guttering.

Dang you guys sure come in handy..........thanks! :)

novicebuilder

You can also splash a little paint on the gable ends before the roofers put the edge trim down on top of the metal roofing.  You won't have to paint the whole board. Just the bottom half or so.  Any thing to make painting easier is worth the trouble! :)
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do; do it with thy might.........Ecclesiastes

TexstarJim

I'm going to see if my neighbor will keep an eye out for me this weekend so I can get some work done up on the gable end scaffolding.  I'm going to wrap myself with bubble-wrap from head to toe too.......... just in case. [cool]

Jens

is the fascia primed?  Depending on the primer, might want to actually pop the drip edge off and paint the board behind it to protect from moisture.  Maybe not though, just a thought.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

poppy

As a man working alone myself, I appreaciate your caution.   8) No need to die while building your dream cabin.

I like he bubblewrap idea.  ;D

TexstarJim

I had a member message me asking about the storage shed.  I sent him a slideshow and will share that here also;

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Stinkfinger/Storage%20Shed/?action=view&current=e08c4e4b.pbw

TexstarJim

Quote from: Jens on December 18, 2009, 10:41:37 PM
is the fascia primed?  Depending on the primer, might want to actually pop the drip edge off and paint the board behind it to protect from moisture.  Maybe not though, just a thought.

Good question Jens...... yes, the fascia is hardy board and primed.  I bought 8"x 12feet hardy board, ripped it down to 5-1/2" width for the fascia, and will use the slimmer pieces for trim.  Anyway, that's the plan.  I've painted the trim boards and they're ready to install along the bottom of the soffit, but it was just too damp and cold today.  I'll post another pic or two once the trim is installed along the east wall.

Poppy, maybe one these coming years after both of us have finished our projects, we can swap visits to each other.  Unless we're too old by then and wearing diapers. :-\

Jens

at least you could help each other clean up Jim.  But I guess it "depends" on your relationship.  Don't want to get into any messy situations.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

TexstarJim

I have been able to start back to work on my house after rain, other delays, and bitterly cold weather recently.  My roofers were able to break away (they're from Dallas) and make it back to Oklahoma to get the metal roof down.  They've not quite done, but will finish in the morning.  This is the only picture I have made recently and there's not much new progress made, but I will add more pictures soon.

Stove pipe is in, but needs cap on top.  Cedar log is in place and holding up the front porch roof.  Bay window is framed out and hopefully I will get the window installed tomorrow.  That's about if for now. :D

RainDog

Comin' right along, huh? Looks to me like it's gonna be just fine.  :D
NE OK

novicebuilder

Looks really good!  Things are progressing quite nicely.  That color sure looks good on the roof with the wooded surroundings.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do; do it with thy might.........Ecclesiastes

Dallas2build

Good to see you've thawed out up there enough to work.  Looking good! 

TexstarJim

Thanks all, glad to be back to work.  I would post some more pics of today's progress but I'm running out of daylight.  Maybe I can have some more early next week.  Supposed to rain tonight and all day tomorrow......... ::)