24' x 32' Lake Cabin in Oklahoma

Started by TexstarJim, August 12, 2009, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

So you will be wearing your dancing shoes tomarrow. [waiting]

TexstarJim

I slapped the level down on the floor today to check for level.  I'm more than satisfied with the outcome:

I took the close up shot of the bubble, then stepped back and took the picture below in order to display that the level is setting almost exactly in the middle of the cabin floor.

Almost done with the decking, two more rows and I am finished.  Red, I'll be digging out my "dancing" boots so I can do the Cotton-Eyed-Joe on my finished floor. ;D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

TexstarJim

Had a visitor today, lil yearling doe stood for the longest and watched me work.....right up to the minute I used the nail gun and she took off. 

TexstarJim

I finished up installing the decking for the floor late yesterday evening and was going to take a picture, but it was too dark.  Here's a couple of views;

Notice the framing material\lumber setting where the decking material was in previous pictures.  This worked out really well and saved a lot of work by having the material ready to use up on the deck.

My next chore is to build the steps from the quarter-deck down to the ground.  I've been using the red ladder because I didn't want the stairway to the ground in the way when the forklift operator was setting lumber up to work level.  I think he would have gotten too close and possibly damaged the stairs.  Only takes one small error and a second to destroy hours of work.

My son and I were going to start framing Monday, but rain is forecast and we might face a delay.  I bought a large tarp from Lowe's last month to cover the floor in case of rain and I will stretch it out and put it in place later this evening. 

Framing material is here, trusses are here, OSB roof sheathing material is here, even the T-111 8" O.C. siding is here.  If I only had one more week of dry weather, I would have this thing in the dry.

ScottA

TexstarJim

Thanks Scott, how's everything going with yours?

ScottA

It's going fine. I'm building cabinets.

glenn kangiser

It is traditional here to have a shot of someone dancing on the deck as John alluded to .  [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Maybe a " NO Rain" dance might be apprioate.  ;D

TexstarJim

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 15, 2009, 10:14:22 AM
It is traditional here to have a shot of someone dancing on the deck as John alluded to .  [waiting]

I can dance up a storm I guess.......... it's raining........   >:(

TexstarJim

Quit raining early this morning around daylight, have been able to get the two long walls stood up and here's a picture of them;

Just a little too dark to see very well, but tomorrow morning I will post some better pictures with all 4 exterior walls standing.

TexstarJim

Back to work today and the walls are going up;

Looking through the west wall towards the lake.

My son getting ready to make a cut;

Nailing in a cripple stud for a window opening;

Exterior shot of the East wall;

Getting the South wall ready to stand:

Almost ready:

My son up on the ladder getting the North wall plumb;

1st truss on the gable end up and ready to secure;

And finally, I was told that the tradition is to dance a jig when your decking is down.  Just a tad late, but here I am justifying my Irish heritage dancing the jig:

Notice how "light" I am on my feet!!!! d*

Daddog

Jim, I feel like a piker. I spend all afternoon putting together a stupid TV cabinet and you nearly finished your walls! Maybe I would have profited from having a nail gun on that damn cabinet! I know one thing: if I find that guy that designed the TV cabinet, I'll wring his damn neck!
Anyway, You and your son are making good progress and it's looking great! However, you could use some of the nice warm weather we're having here in south-central Texas!
"Right relationships are more important than being right."

poppy

Are you sure that's not John Goodman doing the jig?  ???

Interesting appoach with the siding and no sheathing, plus you guys must be horses to raise those walls.  ::)

ScottA

When will we see trusses? Looking good so far.  :)

TexstarJim

Quote from: ScottA on November 18, 2009, 12:39:03 PM
When will we see trusses? Looking good so far.  :)

You mean these trusses?

"Interesting appoach with the siding and no sheathing, plus you guys must be horses to raise those walls."

Poppy, we had 3 other guys helping us when we stood up the (2) long walls.  My son and I did raise the (2) short walls, but with the exterior sheeting, it was really heavy. 

I've been told in the past that I favor John Goodman.  I prefer to think he favors me........   8)

Jerry, the last time I had someone try to hire me to put one of those Wal-Mart cabinets together, I refused.  They are a nightmare.

Now you can see the overall height of the house as it stands and hopefully placing the exterior sheeting on was justified before standing the walls.  So high that I just don't think it would have been feasible to try and nail em on from the outside.

I'm using 3/8" inch T-111 8" OC exterior siding and its already primed and ready to paint.  Tough stuff, perhaps a little thinner than what I would have liked, but long-term plans may included another type of siding in the future.  Til then, this stuff will work fine.

RainDog

How'd you get those up so fast? haha

I'm up in Tahlequah. Your countryside looks like it could be right down the road.

Lookin' good!

Parks
NE OK

Dallas2build

The cabin is shaping up and looking great!  I really like the way you built the porch to make moving your lumber easier.  I will be building on a slope also and now plan to use the same tactic.

I hope to start building my cabin in S.E. Oklahoma in the spring.  Seeing this thread and watching your progress is really exciting.  

ScottA

TexstarJim

Parks, those trusses going up so fast are due to my son's tenacity and brute strength.  He made up his mind he would get them up and have them ready to flip the next morning.  He single-handedly took the trusses up from the ground, across the porch/deck, and had em all ready to install in less than an hour.  I tried to help him take the first one up, but he insisted on doing the rest himself.  I'm really thankful and proud of him for helping his dad get the trusses up.  He's a good guy.

Hey Dallas to build;  Good luck on yours when you start later next spring.  Make sure you document each step of the way with pictures and good narration so we can follow you.

Thanks for your input Scott.  Hopefully my metal roof will be on next Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.  I'm going to have them install the stove-pipe for my wood heater while they're putting the roof on.  I plan on never having to get up on the roof for anything after it's finished.  (1) 3" vent pipe is all I will have for plumbing drainage and that will be installed also.

I'll post some more pictures after the roof is finished. :D

RainDog

Lordy, Lordy! I figured you had a crane and a crew there. Fast work.
NE OK

cmsilvay

Your making Great Progress you are getting me in troulbe over here in MUldrow.

TexstarJim

Thanks guys, appreciate your positive feedback and I hope any info I post in here comes to good use for others. ;D

Jens

Quote from: RainDog on November 18, 2009, 02:31:50 PM

I'm up in Tahlequah. Your countryside looks like it could be right down the road.

"The puppies are in Tahlequah Billy, at the train station."  Love that movie. 

Ain't it fun to be framing and have stuff go together so quickly?  Nice job.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

TexstarJim

Here are my roofers laying down the 1st row of paper on the front of the house.  The next picture is the back without any paper yet.  These guys finished decking it yesterday evening and will get the paper down today before they leave.  They will be back next week to put the metal roof down.