24' x 32' Lake Cabin in Oklahoma

Started by TexstarJim, August 12, 2009, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexstarJim

Started my foundation last Tuesday, August the 5th, for my 24x32 Lake Cabin here on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma.  Had my aerobic sewer system installed this summer, finally had it approved by DEQ (Dept of Environmental Control) and started installing the piers for my pier & beam foundation.  This cabin is based from the plans for the 1 1/2 story 20x30 cabin.  I've had the plans for almost two years and finally got started this summer.  I changed the plans due to the limits of my building abilities related to age, physical problems, and available help.  I decided I'm too old to be attempting to roof a 12/12 pitch and did not look forward to climbing stairs because of arthritis and all the good things that happen to your body when you grow older.

So, I made the cabin 4 feet wider and 2 feet longer with a total square footage of 768 sq ft.  Plenty of room for a single ol codger as myself and room for guests as needed.  The floor plan will remain basically the same as the 20x30 bottom floor.  Just no loft or second story.  I'm open to suggestions before I start framing the interior walls next month.  If I can switch this to a 2bedroom house, I will do so.  But I'd rather have one nice bedroom without feeling cramped than two small bedrooms.

I laid the first pier using a 3'x3' form and it took 22 80# bags of redi-mix concrete.  The other corner took only 18 bags.  My pad was leveled last month and its had plenty of time to settle and the holes for the piers go down around 20-24".  The base is extremely hard clay that is well on its way to becoming rock.  This is almost as good and stable as building on solid rock.  It will not give.  At least the first two corner posts are setting on the hard stuff, the other two corner posts are not on the hard packed clay, but I will compensate with extra concrete in the bottom of the holes before I place and concrete in the next two corner posts.

Here's the first corner pier/post set:

Here is the form ready for the next corner pier/post:

Don't laugh at my make-shift batter board, I only needed a line to get my form lined up with the other corner post.  This is not a real batter board. ;)

The second pier/post for the corner has been poured and is set.  It turned out really well and now I've had the backhoe over to dig the holes for the two adjacent corners. 

NOTE: Disregard the dates on the pictures, my camera's date and time are not current.  I may change it someday, but I hate fiddling with the camera and may not ever get around to it.

This afternoon I will be building the forms to get ready to pour the other two corner piers/posts.  They have to be poured at the same time in order for me to get all four corners square.  My goal is to be able to use the beams as part of the floor foundation if I get them perfectly squared.  If not, I will build the complete floor atop the beams for a typical pier and beam construction.

The beams will be (2) 2"x12" sandwiched together with (2) strips of 1/2" plywood (staggered) in between.  Each beam will be 32 feet long and there will be three.  Like I said, if they come out perfect, then I will cap the ends with the same type constructed beams and make this the floor foundation.  I'm using 2"x8" for floor joists and they will span 12 feet and be 16" OC.  I will be decking with 4'x8' 5/4 T&G sheeting for the floor.  I hate using this stuff, its heavy and hard for one person to manage, but once it's down (screwed and glued) there is no bounce or give.  Very solid and I've used 5/4 on several floors.

I'll be taking pics of the beams as I build them so viewers can appreciate how well built they will be. 
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

TexstarJim

I want to add there will be a total of 15 piers.   Three rows at 5 each with the corner piers being extra heavy duty.  The interior piers and middle pier will only be set in 2'x2' forms.  The (3) 32 feet long beams are to be spaced 12' feet apart (one on each long wall and one down the middle) and each beam will set on 5 piers spaced 8 feet apart. 

Sorry, I cannot scan a picture or plan for spacing and layout of the piers to place in here for a more detailed description....... :-\

ScottA

Looks like you're off to a good start. Keep the pics comming. Don't wear yourself out in this heat either.  :P

TexstarJim

Thanks Scott, appreciate the good advice.  Hey, I was intending on asking you;  Is any of your land on "Corp" controlled land?  I can't remember how close you are to the water, but if you're on the water, then they have a say in what you can or can't do.  Seems like you said you were a couple hundred feet from the shoreline, right?  Otherwise, how is your build going?

ScottA

Our land is not regulated in any way other than the DEQ laws that effect everyone. This is a GRDA lake which is different than the corp in that all the land around the lake is private property. Our place is about 600' from the water anyway. Anyway, I'm learning how to finnish sheetrock today. Fun.

considerations

About 50% of us award vague and undetermined amounts of points for good "make shift" solutions.  It shows inventiveness and a willingness to get the job done in spite of not having the "right" tool......"points" are awarded when the "make shift" actually works.   Just kidding about the points, but sometimes one can think that not having the "right" tool prevents progress.....unless.....well, refer to Glenn K's thread, he's the reigning king of make shift.  :) 

I'm still smiling about his early septic solution....I could have tried that here, but would have needed an umbrella....and thicker woods. [shocked]

poppy

Jim  w*to the forum.

WOW, that is a lot of concrete for one pier.  You might consider using Sonotubes on top of a base pad to save concrete.  Just a thought.

Good luck with your build.

TexstarJim

Quote from: poppy on August 13, 2009, 01:52:15 PM
Jim  w*to the forum.

WOW, that is a lot of concrete for one pier.  You might consider using Sonotubes on top of a base pad to save concrete.  Just a thought.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the advice regarding the sonotube, I actually considered using the round tubes and will in one or two the piers, but not all the way around.

I've got all the corner piers poured as of today along with all 5 piers on my East wall.  A total of 7 piers finished, 8 more to go, but the last 8 will be much easier than the first ones.  I'll take a pic or two later this evening or in the morning to post later.

Redoverfarm

Jim if your soils is thight you can get away from using sono tubes providing you don't have that far to come up off the ground.  Sono tubes are a "form" basicly to use out of the ground.  The soil can be used as a form if the hole is dug fairly evenly.  For above ground you can use a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out. When finished just cut away the plastic.  I hate paying for something to use one time when there is an alternative that I have on hand. Just a thought.   

TexstarJim

Here is a picture of the backhoe removing a tree along with another stump almost exactly where my Southwest corner pier/post needed to be.  After removal, I had a hole large enough to place a small storm shelter in and actually considered installing one.

The first pad to go down in the hole is 3'x3', once cured, I place a 6"x6" post on top, poured another pad (2'x2') around the base of the post with (4) 1/2" rebars parallel to the post.

All this was necessary because the bottom of the hole was around 5 feet below grade and I wanted any exposed post up above grade and standing water.  The final pour was into the round form and this put me up above grade;

TexstarJim

Here is a picture of all five piers/posts for the East side of the foundation;  The Northeast corner post (behind the white and red ice chest) is cut to height, the three in the middle are not yet, and the Southeast corner post (covered by the yellow date stamp on the pic) is cut to height.  You can see the middle pier/post has some more work yet to be done.  One more pour atop the existing pad and then the post will be ready to be cut to height.  

The lowest post is the Northeast corner, but there will still be 3 feet of crawlspace in that corner.  It gets higher from that point on.  The Southwest corner where I had to pour the two pads along with the round pier (where the tree was removed) is almost 7 feet from the top of the post down into the hole where the first pad was poured.  There's quite a slope from the East wall down to the Southwest corner.

Note:  I had to edit these two replies because Photobucket was doing maintenance and I couldn't see the images until they were finished.  I had done a double post of one of the pictures and inserted one that wasn't the correct image.......sorry.  Also, I went ahead and updated the dating stamp on my camera.  The date on these latest pictures is current.

TexstarJim

The locals call these rocks "Green Gold" because landscapers will pay top dollar for rocks with moss on em.  I've caught folks trying to carry off the rocks to use in their flower gardens.  Here's a picture of one batch;

There is a small creek that runs within 15 feet of my new cabin and it's dry almost all the time.  But after a heavy rain, the water is a torrent and makes the most wonderful sound as it rushes down the hill and empties into the lake.  Here's a picture of the rocks in the creek that help give it the sound of rushing water;

Finally, here is a picture to try and give some definition to the entire scheme of the thing.  I realize I have posted a few pictures of not much more than holes in the ground and random shots of different piers/posts.  I'm afraid there isn't going to be anything that gives a full idea of what the foundation is like until I have all the piers finished and framed up.  Once the deck is down, then a person can get an idea of what the overall appearance will be.  But for now, here's this shot:

The lawnchair is setting next to the Northeast corner and straight across towards the small building with the air conditioner installed into the wall you can see the yellow cylinder holding the pier/post for the Southwest corner.

After I looked at this picture I was alarmed to think one or more of the post along the East wall had tilted, so I went out and checked.  Whew........  they're all still inline and perfect, but it scared me........   d*

TexstarJim

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 15, 2009, 12:17:23 PM
Jim if your soils is thight you can get away from using sono tubes providing you don't have that far to come up off the ground.  Sono tubes are a "form" basicly to use out of the ground.  The soil can be used as a form if the hole is dug fairly evenly.  For above ground you can use a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out. When finished just cut away the plastic.  I hate paying for something to use one time when there is an alternative that I have on hand. Just a thought.   

Red, I'm all for saving money and feel the same way about using something one time and throwing it away, but in this case since the corner pour was so tall, a 5-gallon bucket wouldn't have worked.  There were (3) round tubes purchased at Lowe's for $9.97 and they were labeled to be 12" forms.  Funny thing is, they were sent tucked one inside the other, all three.  So there is no way the two inside tubes are 12" but that's ok, they will be used also. 

Thanks for your input and ideas.

poppy

Jim
QuoteAfter I looked at this picture I was alarmed to think one or more of the post along the East wall had tilted, so I went out and checked.  Whew........  they're all still inline and perfect, but it scared me........   
Most cameras have a wide angle lens as standard, so if the camera is not level there will be distortion in the photo.

That sounds like a high craw space.  What's the purpose? ???

Don't worry about whether all the pics make sense.  We like photos. :D

TexstarJim

3 piers ready to pour today on the West wall and then the final 3 piers for the middle beam tomorrow if the weather permits.

I cannot wait to be finished with the concrete work! :P

In regards to the last question for the "high" crawl space, keep in mind I'm fairly close to the water.  Although I really doubt if the water will ever get this high, I do want the house up and dry just in case.  Plus, you never think about limited crawl space until you're under a house wiggling around trying to work.  More is better in my opinion.

Later in the fall when I have my deck down and I'm about ready to start framing, I will take some more pics and these will include a view of the lake.  I have a better view after the leaves have fallen, right now its a wall of "green" between me and the water.  I'm looking forward to that first day sometime in October when I wake up to see a light frost in the morning.  Its my favorite day of the year.

collegegirl

very nice project, I am also planning to the same at my place, any rough estimate you have on time and amount.

TexstarJim

Quote from: collegegirl on August 19, 2009, 03:52:35 AM
very nice project, I am also planning to the same at my place, any rough estimate you have on time and amount.

Thank you and I wish you luck for when someday you start your own.  Here's my best estimate on money:  I roughly figure around $25-30.00 per sq. ft. for material.  Time?  Hmmmm, not sure I can give you an estimate but I can say this;  I wouldn't attempt to build one of these while going full-time college.  Unless you're majoring in construction.

I've still got the final 3 piers to pour before I can build and set my beams.  Rain delay today, maybe tomorrow I can get back to it.

Beavers

Quote from: TexstarJim on August 18, 2009, 01:25:04 PM
I cannot wait to be finished with the concrete work! :P

I hear ya!  Been the least favorite part of my project as well!  d*

Your project looks great so far, looking forward to following along with your progress.  [cool]

novicebuilder

Looks like you're off to a great start!  I'm really impressed with the piers you're putting under this cabin.  By your earliers posts it seems to be a little muddy there.  Try to stay dry.

By the way, your username isn't reflectant of any TexasStar radio equipment is it? 
:(
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do; do it with thy might.........Ecclesiastes

TexstarJim

Quote from: novicebuilder on August 20, 2009, 09:03:02 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start!  I'm really impressed with the piers you're putting under this cabin.  By your earliers posts it seems to be a little muddy there.  Try to stay dry.

By the way, your username isn't reflectant of any TexasStar radio equipment is it? 
:(

No sir, I'm a Ham radio operator and have no use for Citizen Band illegal linears.  I can see where you got the connection, but its just a coincidence in the user name I picked.

Last 3 piers have been poured and I'm finished with the concrete work as of 9:45am this morning.  It was awful muddy from all the rain over the last two days, but I got it done and can focus on driving nails now, hurray!!!!!

John Raabe

Working with wood is sooooo much nicer. Even smells better. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

novicebuilder

TexStar,
Anyway you could stand on your pad and give us a shot towards the lake. I know you mentioned lots of greenery in the way.  Can you see the lake at all?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do; do it with thy might.........Ecclesiastes

TexstarJim

Quote from: novicebuilder on August 22, 2009, 10:47:40 PM
TexStar,
Anyway you could stand on your pad and give us a shot towards the lake. I know you mentioned lots of greenery in the way.  Can you see the lake at all?

Sure, I can see the lake, but only through the trees.  The shoreline is about 150 feet away, its easy to see.  But when some guy runs up in the cove in his bass boat, I only hear his motor, rarely see the boat.  There are a few more trees with a less than 3" circumference (anything larger is restricted to cut by the Corp) that I can clear away in the future.  I will be pruning some of the lower branches from the large trees also later on.  Terrific view throughtout the winter and early spring, but when everything greens up, the view turns into green.......lol.

Ordered the lumber to build the beams and floor, it should be here Monday or Tuesday.  That will work out fine because the building area (the pad) isn't completely dried out yet from the rain we had last week.  Today I will be pulling the last of the forms from the piers I poured on Friday.  Also, I will be cutting the post-tops to height, all 15 of them.  I will be using a water bucket connected to a clear hose set at a predetermined height with colored water to mark all the posts.  I'll post pics of that process.

poppy

Jim, I'll be interested in seeing exactly how you use the water level.

I'll be trying to use a water level for the first time this week hopefully to level the fist girder.  I will post pics. too so long as it works.  ;)

TexstarJim

Poppy, I didn't level the posts today, will do so in the morning.  I get up early each morning, usually around 4:30 to 5:00am.  This morning I fixed myself a nice breakfast and then sat around til around 9 or so, then I went back to bed and laid up like a wino until around 2pm.  All I got done today was clean-up of the remaining empty concrete bags and several empty gatorade bottles laying around.  Done a little prep work for tomorrow, but decided I could use a break today and then buckle down all the rest of the coming week.  Or should I say "weeks"?

If you've never used a water level, you'll get a kick out of seeing it done for the 1st time.  The Egyptians used (or so they say) water to level the foundations for the pyramids.  I usually go back and check the accuracy of the water level marks with my laser afterwards, but the water level method is so effective (and quicker) that I really shouldn't bother.

Like I said, I'll take several pictures of the process and good narration to make it clear for anyone interested.