Any online resources on subdividing and developing large parcels?

Started by ChugiakTinkerer, December 09, 2017, 12:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

If the fates look favorably upon me, I should be able to retire within a few years.  I've got my eye on a large parcel that would be a great retirement project.  But I know next to nothing about what it takes to turn raw land into a successful development.  Does anyone know of a good reference, online or offline, for how to move forward?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

ChugiakTinkerer

I guess it's bad form to reply to my own thread, but applying a little google-fu was very fruitful:

https://www.matsugov.us/document/publicworksdocuments/
I'll start here and see where it leads me.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Don_P

Local zoning, subdivision ordinances, etc are often on the county website. In my county it would be difficult to "develop" rural property into a subdivision.

MountainDon

Start local as rules and what is allowed do vary by county and municipality. My county has minimum acreage sizes that change depending on where one is looking. Also minimum requirements for access roads. The state determines the septic and water wells.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

GaryT

The "Dons" are right on the money about going local first.  All the books on the ins and outs of subdividing won't help you at all if they are at odds with what the local ordinances mandate.  Just went through the process in New Brunswick, Canada.
Gary