12 volt wiring

Started by Grandpa Redneck, May 20, 2017, 07:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpa Redneck

Hi everyone,
My wife and I have a piece of off grid land in northern NH. We started a 12 x 16 bunkhouse project last summer and are now getting ready to do the wiring before finishing the interior. We will be using 1 led light in the loft, and maybe 2 on the main floor, the only other things we will be running is a couple of 12v fans to keep the loft cooler on hot summer nights. The led lights we will be using are RV units, and are .12 amp draw. When I run the wire can I use standard 12 or 10 gauge romex wiring? Or do I need to use automotive type stranded wire?
Thanks in advance for the input
Here is a pic of the bunkhouse at the end of last summer. Ran out of good weather before we could get the metal roofing on, but the tarp held up for the winter
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck

Tickhill

Romex is naturally stiffer to deal with because it's a single conductor but Romex is what I would go with, in case you ever decided to go replace the DC service/fans/lights, the Romex would already be in place in the walls, also offers a little more resistance to being chewed into by Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict.
Just my opinion though.
Didn't know they had rednecks north of the Mason-Dixon, you gotta be a rare specimen.

Glad to have you,
Tickhill
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Grandpa Redneck

Thanks Tickhill,
Yeah there are a few of us rednecks around up here, To me it is a state of mind not a state of birth, or attitude , not latitude.  ;D
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck

MountainDon

Use Romex as it is certified for residential use even if the current is DC instead of AC. Simply match the wire gauge to the loads, or oversize the wire for less voltage drop. Remember to use fuses or breakers that are approved for DC, not every AC protection device is suitable for DC
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

Keep in mind, Porcupines love Romex.   ::)

MountainDon

Do a Google on soy based automobile wire and rodent damage. Many newer cars have used a soy based insulation as that makes it easier to re the copper. Rodents love it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

I was at a party last night and the winter was tough here with all the rain. The Soy wiring was brought up and one gal said to spray the stuff they use to make tires look clean and new. The rodents won't touch the stuff. Anybody hear this?

To the OP, there is wiring book at Home Depot that will get you close, not good enough for DC but just run #12 Romex and as Don said make sure your fusing/breakers are rated and correct values for DC. Protect the battery if you use parallel batteries. 24VDC is much better but you can't use RV gear,
although a friend was here last month and all of his LED lights were rated up to 30vdc.
"we go where the power lines don't"

glenn kangiser

What were you doing talking about soybeans, Dave?  At a party I would have thought you would be seeking out barley or corn mash....something like that.
[ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dave Sparks

I am keeping an open mind Glen ???They say it is good for brain health :P
"we go where the power lines don't"