Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Sorry to read that about your wife.  Please keep us informed.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Sassy

How is your wife feeling?  I'll say a prayer for her...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

Sassy, she's fine at the moment. She had surgery last month. Now I am having a fight with the hospital over the bill. It's pretty sad that in addition to dealing with a health problem you have to fight off a gang of thieves trying to rob you at the same time. We made a deal with the hospital before the surgery and paid in advance. They came back a month later trying to collect a past due balance (double what we already paid) we where never billed for or agreed to. My advice, avoid hospitals like the plague. The rest of the story is much more interesting but I'll spare you the conspiracy details.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Scott, sorry to hear about you and your wife having to deal with both the melanoma and the hospital.  I'm still angry about the $500 bill I just got from our Mother's Day ER fiasco over the black widow spider that went up my daughter's nose and caused one heck of a nosebleed. 

glenn kangiser

Sorry to hear about your wife's problem and the problem with the hospital, Scott.

When you get time.. some of us would enjoy the conspiracy details also......
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

More fun with the government. Some of you may recall we had an issue with building a driveway out to the highway that runs in front of our place. The state refused to grant a permit. Anyway, we've been driving in and out of this unofficial entrance for 4 years and no one has complained. Last spring I decided I would build a real driveway to an existing gate on the other end of our property, about 660' away from the cabin, which fronts on different road owned by the county. I had planed to do the work this fall when the weather was cooler.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a phone company crew working in the easement along the road on our property and stopped by to see what they where doing. They where moving the lines for the new road that was going to be built where the existing road was.  Don't ask me why we need a new road, the old road is fine. Anyway I called the county to find out what was going on because I want to start my driveway next month.

The county commissioner came out later that day and brought plans for the new road to show me. First he tells me my fence is going to be moved back 30'. When I asked why he to tells me it's in the wrong place. "Really" I asked. "You know this fence is over 45 years old? And you know I surveyed this line myself when I bought this land?" I told him the fence was off by about 1' on one end and 5' on the other.

So he whips out his plans to prove me wrong. The first thing I notice is there is no entrance to my land on his plans. The second thing I notice is that the easement the phone company is working in belongs to me not the county. It is plainly marked "private easement" yet they decided it was OK to dig up my land and lay a fiber optic line without permission. All the property lines where clearly marked on the plans and exactly where I told him they where.

After I pointed out all these issues and explained things to him he agreed I was right and that they would need to provide me an entrance since there is an existing gate there that is nearly 50 years old.

Tomorrow there is a meeting with all involved parties to discuss the problems with this new, unneeded road project and how they made a few mistakes. We'll see how it goes. Morale of the story is if a  crew shows up and starts working on your land you better call and find out what's going on.

muldoon

you should bring your shotgun to the meeting.  ...  or maybe not ... or maybe so. 

ScottA

I could. The meeting will held in my new driveway that's not built yet on my land.

muldoon

ScottA

You think that would help convince them to build the driveway for me? Cause that's the plan.

ScottA

Well they decided they needed to move the fiber optic cable they installed on our land by mistake and they will build us an entrance with a culvert and replace the fence they tore up or so they said. Pretty easy all around. No shotgun needed.

mtman

That's good to hear!! Seems the least they could do. ;D

rick91351

That is great news!  That went a lot better than I thought it would!  Cool! 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

If you hadn't spoke up they would have rolled right over you though.  Glad it worked out, Scott.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Fiber optic got moved today. My old fence is gone. They had to tear it out to get the track hoe in since they only have a small area to work in. The new fiber line is basically where the fence was. It was off a little as I mentioned but they are going to rebuild it a couple of feet over from where it was. He buried it 5'  deep since it's so close to the fence line. On to the next project. I'm trying to get my brother moved in over the next couple of weeks so lots to get done on his cabin. Seems like finishing up is most of the work.  d*

ScottA

Road building day at deer run. Had a dozer and backhoe here all day cutting in the new road. Should be done tomorrow. I'll try to get some picks up then. I'm pooped ATM.  d* 800' of road through raw land is not an easy task I can tell you. I drove on it for the first time tonight. Woohoo!  :) Still needs to be dressed and finished. After that I need to cut up all the wood from the trees we killed this morning. They won't go to waste though, good firewood for next winter.

henderson

You sure have built a beautiful place to call home. Good to see a dream come true. 

ScottA

Thanks henderson.  :)

Road building pics-

Marty the dozer man. Honest and fair.

Looking north.

Entrance to my brother place on right.

My brothers place.

Marty makes the first curve.

Looking around the curve.

I'll try and get some pics of the culverts tomorrow. And also some new pics of the guest cottage.

:P

glenn kangiser

duncanshannon

Is road building something to hire out? I need a drive way. I have about 300' cleared to about 18' wide, cleared smooth.  I need to clear another 300' worth thats raw land right now. I will minimally drop the trees. Question is... do I rent the equipment, order the class 5, culvert and other things and attempt it myself (day job is an IT desk jocky... no experience here).  Or just pay the $5k and hire it out?

i'm leaning twoards hiring it out, but would be up for trying it myself it it was reasonable.

thanks...
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

ScottA

Unless you are like Glenn, I'd hire it out. It's a big job.

Danfish

Somethings are best left to the pro's and unless you have the experience operating heavy equipment...road building is one for sure. Now and into the future that road will see a lot of wear and tear, you will want it to hold up. Besides when you add up equipment rental, road base and finish material, culvert, etc., the $5K doesn't look all that bad...money well spent!

I remember the first time I jumped on a D4 cat...damn near buried the thing in the hole I dug trying to grade a level spot!!!

mtman

Now that's a road! Looks real good Scott.

ScottA

Culverts we installed to cross the dry creekbed. These are 24" pipes, cost $335 each.

Looking up the hill from the creek crossing SW.

Aftermath of the phone company mistake. We have been promised this will be cleaned up in the near future.

I managed to complete the sofits on the guest cottage recently.

Our propane setup. I don't think I ever showed this before.

This hasn't got much use lately unfortunately.  :(

I had a very busy summer which slowed progress down greatly. Hopefully I can get things going again this fall. Thanks for looking.

duncanshannon

looking good!

and sold... hiring the driveway out. thanks for the input folks.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0