Do I need a building permit?

Started by Daren, April 01, 2007, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I was looking through my county codes onine and found this,

Sec. 38-82. Activities that do not automatically require permits.
(a)   The following activities do not automatically require a permit; though if the intent of this chapter is not followed, a permit may be required:
(1)   Such minor activities such as home gardens and individual home landscaping, repairs, maintenance work and other related activities that result in minor soil erosion or increase in overall runoff;
(2)   The construction of single-family residences when such are constructed by or under contract with the owner for his own occupancy or the construction of single-family residences not a part of a larger project and not otherwise exempted under this subsection; however construction of any such residence shall conform to the minimum requirements as set forth in this chapter and in O.C.G.A. § 12-7-6 and such requirements shall be enforced by the county.

#2 seems to apply to me since I would be building it.  Am I reading this right, it seems farfetched that I wouldn't need a permit but it looks as though I don't need one.

Also this:

(4)   Any project involving one-fourth acre or less; however, this exemption shall not apply to any land-disturbing activity within 200 feet of the bank of any state waters, excluding channels and drainageways that have water in them only during and immediately after rainfall events and intermittent streams which do not have water in them year-round; however, any person responsible for a project that involves one-fourth acre or less, that involves land-disturbing activity, and that is within 200 feet of any suchexcluded channel or drainageway must prevent sediment from moving beyond the boundaries of the property on which such project is located; and nothing contained in this subsection shall prevent the county from regulating any such project not specifically exempted by subsection (a)(1), (3), (5), (6) or (7) of this section.

Would a small home take up less than 1/4 an acre?

Here is a link to the whole thing if you need to peruse

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=13215&sid=10

John_C

An acre is 43,560 sq ft if memory serves me.   1/4 of that is almost 11,000 sq ft  so I don't think they are referring to the size of the structure in that paragraph.

The other part says is doesn't automatically require a permit.  Is there some other hook? The part that troubles me is

"construction of any such residence shall conform to the minimum requirements as set forth in this chapter and in O.C.G.A. § 12-7-6 and such requirements shall be enforced by the county."

How are they going to do that?  Sounds like inspections/permit to me.  Are other folks building sans permit in your area?   I'd be tempted to copy all that stuff and start building.  

Can't wait to hear Greg's take.  As always YMMV

John_C

From your link

Sec. 24-3. Certificate required.
Unless a certificate of occupancy shall have first been obtained certifying compliance with the provisions of this article:
(1)   No business license will be issued;
(2)   No building or structure, or addition thereto, constructed, reconstructed, enlarged, structurally altered or moved shall thereafter be occupiedor used for any purpose; to include tendering goods or services for payment;
(3)   No vacant land shall be used or occupied for any purpose;
(4)   No use of any land or structure shall be changed to any other use, whether or not construction, reconstruction, enlargement, structural alteration or moving is involved; and
(5)   No home occupation shall be established.

Emphasis mine.  In my neck of the woods you need the CO to get power hook up.

It seems to contradict

Sec. 38-83. Activities that require permits.
(a)   A land development permit shall be required prior to the commencement of any construction for the purpose of residential, commercial, industrial or institutional uses or for major subdivisions, as defined in chapter 58, article I, section 58-8, that have been granted preliminary approval by the planning commission.

desdawg

You could always follow my philosophy which is: "I would rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission." Course, you can get in a little trouble that way but........

glenn-k

I'd love to be Santa Claus on this and say get after it, but from what I read there it looks to me like you are reading info on not needing a grading permit if the specs are met. :-?

glenn-k

Un-officially I'm with you desdawg, but first Daren probably needs to check out what he may be up against.