12x18 cabin in Nova Scotia

Started by middleway, January 03, 2010, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

middleway

I closed on my 25 acres near Tatamagouche, NS, this past summer, and bought the big enchilada plans from John.  My plans were (are) to build the shed/cabin first, and the house when I can figure out the money, and when retirement will make it possible to actually live out there.  Not too long to go: another 18 months should do it.  The cabin (it will eventually be the garden/tack/feed shed and workshop) will have a half-loft for sleeping, be well-insulated, have wiring for eventual hook-up, a wood-stove. The size is at the limit for a permit and not being hooked-up to the grid means that I can avoid that particular hoop.  Of course, everything took longer than I thought, so that winter is well and truly here and the cabin, although weather-tight, is not yet habitable: roof is on, tyvec and strapping, but siding only on one side, and windows and doors not yet installed.  But I am humming with delight!

I have uploaded photos to photobucket and will attempt to put them into this message ...

Nope - can't yet figure it out, and have to go to work!  Will try again later.

Thanks to all you posters who have helped nurture my dream!

Redoverfarm

middleway  w*.  The area of NS is great inthe summer.  I doubt that it is that hospitable in the winter.  Would love to see some Pics of your project.  Here is a fairly easy step-by- step of the process.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=440.0

The "IMG" code is already embeded in the photobucket.  So just go below the photo, left click to highlight the IMG then right click to copy. Then paste to the location that you want it to appear.

Beavers

w*

Looking forward to seeing your cabin photo's!

middleway

middleway

Oh - I get it! It is just a link that appears, not the photos themselves - duh!

Thanks, Redoverfarm, for the help. Nova Scotia is lovely in the winter, as long as you have an efficient stove, insulation, good tires, and a way to clear your driveway!

This has been quite an experience so far.  I am lucky in finding really good local help: Rob has the know-how, the experience and the tools, and is a good, patient teacher.  I am getting to do as much as I want, and don't have to do what I can't (e.g. roofing!).

OlJarhead

Just copy the image code and paste in here :)  

MountainDon

Just to be sure you get on the right track... photobucket has four link choices to choose from. Copy the lowermost one, the one labeled   IMG Code.   Then just paste that into a message. When the message is viewed the viewr's computer will load the message and download and present the actual image in that space where the code is.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Pine Cone

Here are your first two photos...

Taking possession

Brush cutting

considerations

Looks like you are launched!  I'll be watching with great interest.