16 x 28 SHED ROOF BEING BUILT FOR UNDER 10K

Started by Johnbrakingground, April 05, 2008, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnbrakingground

Hello to everyone, My name is John and I am going to build this house, 3 bedroom 1 bath in Indiana for under 10k.  I am doing a shed roofed version of the 16x28 two story similar to what alot of people have been doing here.  Better yet its going to be done in approx 1 month by my dad and myself and an occasional hand from my brothers.   EVERY STEP IS GOING TO BE RECORDED AND A DVD IS GOING TO BE MADE FOR A BASIC STEP BY STEP INCLUDING MATERIALS AND COST.  Please give me feedback and tell me what you think.   I have done all calculating including overages.  Luckily my dad owned a concrete company, my brother is a journeyman plumber and my friend is an electrician.   

The house is going to have a slab foundation which will be stained and used as the floor inside, most everything is going be bought from the big orange box and Lowes.   I might possibly be one of the cheapest people on earth when it comes to finding deals but all prices will be recorded for proof.  Tell me what you think  Thanks and I love this site.  Wish me luck and keep it positive.         MORE TO COME!

MountainDon

w* johnbrakingground

This'll be great to watch. That's a nice cross section of skills you have there.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Great idea I have mine allmost framed now and into it 6 days. Should be ready for siding and roof plywood in 10 days max so I am moving right along for the main builder and a kid helping me move wood and lift walls. I should be done in a month no problem except for inside sheet rock and plumbing. It will be wired and all painted on the outside tho. Best things to document are the loads of wood rquired for doing a few days of work and leaving nothing at the job when your not there. Not hard to summit a set of plans and get a package of wood droped off to build with. I had to brake mine down into sections and it has workd out into 3 loads so far and the forth one will finish the framing part. Mark

PS I left out one major part I spent 2 months thinking about how I was going to build it on paper during the winter while waiting for the snow to go away! I had the whole thing broke down in a note book to build off of.

Johnbrakingground

I have been doing the same thing as far as building it on paper and putting timelines on certain parts of the build.  I will have no distractions because our house in Oregon is getting sold and I will be going back to Indiana by myself and my wife and kids will come when the house is finished.  Luckily my father and brothers live in the same town I'm building in and my father is retired so he will be able to help out alot.  As far as lumber price how close are you to your budget at this point?   

ScottA

Sounds like an exciting project. I'm curious to see how you keep the cost under $10k.

Willy

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on April 06, 2008, 02:55:04 AM
I have been doing the same thing as far as building it on paper and putting timelines on certain parts of the build.  I will have no distractions because our house in Oregon is getting sold and I will be going back to Indiana by myself and my wife and kids will come when the house is finished.  Luckily my father and brothers live in the same town I'm building in and my father is retired so he will be able to help out alot.  As far as lumber price how close are you to your budget at this point?   
I would have no problem coming in under 10K for the framing, electrical, outside trim, roof metal and insulation. I would go over that if I added in the sheet rock, plumbing and inside trim. You can eatup 10K worth of money on cabnits and appliances in the kitchen alone. Course it depends on quality and if you need to hire out any of the work also. Mark

Johnbrakingground

The price will include everything, cabinets and counters will be custom made for the most part.   I have also bought alot of the fixtures including the one piece tub and surround at deep discounts from Lowes.  It just takes going into lowes early morning as often as you can to find the discountinued and blemished products such as my solid surface countertop for the bathroom with built in sink special order price $264 my price with a corner broke off and end of the year discounts at 75% off discount price is  $3.00.  Tub surround normally 287.00 had been dinged where nobody is going to see it, my price $125.  All the windows I bought are odds and ends or special order returns that I got for half of what retail is.  All this really starts adding up.  My posts might start coming a little slow because I am getting ready to move so I won't have access to the net as often but I will get on as much as I can and post updates and pics and prices.

tj4orange

Just courious where in IN are you?  I am in NE IN.  Look forward to seeing your project!

Johnbrakingground

The house will be built in Terre Haute, In.  Construction will start at the end of May.  Untill then I will be buying up as many clearance items I can find in Oregon where there is no sales tax.

John Raabe

Best wishes on an interesting project. You have an economical and easy to build basic shape - that goes a long way towards economical construction.

Looking forward to pics and updates.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jens

It may be a little tough, but you can do it for that.  Great deals can be found.  Where in OR are you now?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Johnbrakingground

I currently live near McMinnville, Oregon.   

As far as for current house details its been hard trying to get accurate building codes for Terre Haute, In.  I've been able to get a hold of the Building Department once.  I asked about insulation codes and wall thickness's and sq ft requirements and all answers I got back included "I think" and "I'm pretty sure" ??? which is not very reassuring.  I don't want to have my plans finalalized and then be told that my building is to small or something like that.  Indiana is not a RESCHECK state so it hard to get concrete answers on anything.  If someone out there has any information on code there, please let me know. Thanks d* ???

MountainDon

Looking at the ReChek website I see the following notation: 

Notes on the State's Residential Code: 
Indiana Energy Conservation Code
(1992 Model Energy Code with Indiana amendments)

Pretty old. If you're unable to get more concrete info from the officials there you could always choose to draw them up with more modern standards, such as the IRC2003. The surrounding states seem to have all gone with the 2006 standard. I'm not sure of what those differences would be, however the 2003 would likely save you money in the long run over whatever they have now.

Maybe someone will have something more useful to add.

It might be better, long term, to try to up the building to higher standards, even if it means bumping over your self imposed $10K limit.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I was born in McMinnville, Oregon, Johnbrakingground.  Has the city recovered yet? [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Johnbrakingground

I'm not sure how long its been since youve been here, but Mcminnville is one the more expensive places to live in the Willamette valley with many regular homes going for $3-400,000.  Utilities are nice and cheap though.

glenn kangiser

I don't think I have been through there in the last 15 years or so.  Maybe once or twice.  Flew into the airport there --probably early to mid 90's.

Still got Evergreen/CIA choppers there?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

KyJohn68

Can't wait to see the progress on this one, this is similar to what I'm wanting to build.

[cool]

glenn kangiser

KyJohn68

Johnbrakingground

Well its been a long time since I posted anything, so............ We have decided to stay in Oregon and have found a piece of property 8 min from the Ocean near Lincoln City.    The lot is a half acre and has 250+ ft of year around creek frontage.   This lot is a steal of a deal and this spring to summer we hopefully will be starting this project.   Originally we wanted to do this last year but the real estate market fell on it face so selling our house was not going to net us much profit.  This year is a little better and we are setup to do it so please let me know what you think.  I love this site, we have learned a lot.

RainDog

Definitely looking forward to seeing your project! Good luck!
NE OK

glenn kangiser

You are getting closer, John.  My grandparents homesteaded on Widow Creek road, Rose Lodge.  Parents and cousin still live and have land there.

I went to Taft HS, Oceanlake school, DeLake school and Rose Lodge school.

Which part of the area are you in?

Johnbrakingground

Its actually right in Otis. My kids will likely go to Lincoln City schools.  Small world.

considerations

Welcome back, funny how life can get in the way of progress.

Johnbrakingground

;DConsiderations, your right. By the way your one that I have continued to follow.  Nicely done.   We just went by the property and did measurements and took pictures.  I will post a few in the next day or so.  ;)