20X34 2.5 story in GA

Started by Frank W, December 06, 2013, 01:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

I really like how you are right in the pines.  I also really like the dark roof.  How are you insulating the attic?  That dark metal is going to get HOT!

thanks
Austin

Frank W

Thanks,
there is a inch and a half gap between the metal on the roof and the roof sheathing. I'm hoping that helps cool the attic/ bedrooms. Insulation hasn't been installed yet. I'm going with spray in foam. The question is wheather to use open cell or closed cell. The other question I have is, should I use baffles between the roof rafters or have unvented roof?
It's a hot roof I think it's called.

dablack

Does the air gap between the metal and roof deck run up and down or left and right?  If it runs up and down then you have good drainage and a way for the hot air under the metal to get out!  If the gap goes left and right, hot air can still get out but if water gets under the metal.....

If you are already having a spray foam guy come, I would have him spray under your roof deck as well.  The surface area of your roof deck is 1442 sq ft.  I would have him spray closed cell spray foam at least an inch deep.  That is about R5.  If you want more than that up in the attic, you can then just use fiberglass for the rest of the cavity.  Then you have a nice cool attic. 

Austin