PVC plumbing??

Started by 325ABN, September 11, 2010, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

325ABN

How critical is it for PVC fittings to fit squarely together? IE: if a 90 is slightly a skew is it going to fail any quicker than if it was not? ??? ???

Specifically 4" SCH-40 under slab waist drain.

Thanks

frazoo

Did the joint "seat" fully or is it pulled out quite a bit? If seated fully you sould have a good seal, if not, I'd worry.  The disclaimer is although I've plumbed a lot of houses , I am not a plumber, so you may get a better, more accurate answer from someone else.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

Redoverfarm

Quote from: 325ABN on September 11, 2010, 08:41:47 AM
How critical is it for PVC fittings to fit squarely together? IE: if a 90 is slightly a skew is it going to fail any quicker than if it was not? ??? ???

Specifically 4" SCH-40 under slab waist drain.

Thanks

I would think that the fitting should fit square.  But you can flex the pipe some once the fitting is set.  Yes Sch 40 will bend some.  If you have some adjusting to do wait until everything is set and then force the end("open end" down some).  Is there any particular reason that a straight 90 deg run will not make it?  When drain lines are set on 1/4" to 1' fall they have to bend some to accomplish this.  But the longer the pipe or run the better.  Shorter pieces don't like to flex that well.

bushrat

you should fit them squarely but a little tilt won't normally fail as long as you primed and glued properly. what I do when using P.V.C. is dry fit the joint and mark the pipe where it seats then pull out and prime and glue, little tip scuff the fitting end and the pipe with some steel wool or light emery cloth first,alsohold the glued joint together till it sets as it has a tendency to push out during the first 30 or 40 seconds. p.s. have been a licenced plumber for 20+ years

diyfrank

If your cut isn't square whether it leaks or not it can form a place for waste to collect and possibly create an obstruction.
I keep my joints tight just because of that. You may never have a issue but I like to make the effort to keep things flowing smoothly through out. 
Home is where you make it

bayview

We always cut our S/D pipe with a chop saw for a nice clean, square end . . .   Then cleaned the inside edge of the pipe with a knife to eliminate any burrs.   Leaving a rough inside edge could lead to some debris or toilet paper to catch.   

A good cleaning with cleaner/primer, then glue, holding the fitting or pipe for about 30 seconds so it won't back out.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .