Yet another pier spacing question!

Started by tone, February 10, 2009, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tone

I'm planning on starting my cabin this spring, it will be the 12x 18 stretched to 28ft. John's plans call for 4x10 beams at 7ft centers and 2x6 joists. Would it be ok to up the beam size to 4x12 and go to 8ft centers?
I'm going to use 2x8 joists. Not worried about settling, ground is a couple of inches of soil, then broken rock, then bedrock!
Also no loft, shed roof.
Thanks for any thoughts!

MountainDon

I moved this to the 0wner-Builder Projects Forum as John will see it here before looking under General. If you've bought the plans from him he will be able to give you his answer on this.

FWIW, my guess is that going to 8 foot OC post spacing would work with an upgrade to doubled 2x12's for each beam.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

I'm not able to do new calculations were I am right now but I concur with Don. The built-up 12" girder might be the most cost effective. Since you can tie these long beams together as you built it up that also shares increased bending strength over all the piers.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

I actually love built up beams for anything larger than a small shed. The reason is that the components are all easily handled by a lone builder. On our cabin I set and leveled the tops of all the supporting posts. Then I assembled the beam in situ. That was much more manageable than having to deal with large heavy timbers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

tone

Quote from: MountainDon on February 12, 2009, 12:41:50 PM
I actually love built up beams for anything larger than a small shed. The reason is that the components are all easily handled by a lone builder. On our cabin I set and leveled the tops of all the supporting posts. Then I assembled the beam in situ. That was much more manageable than having to deal with large heavy timbers.

Thats my plan too since I'll be working alone. Thanks Guys!