dormer detail question

Started by dug, March 26, 2010, 09:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

My question is:  What is the best way to deal with the area where my (shed) dormer roof overhang meets the main roof. On the upper left portion in the photo below you can see the area I'm talking about.

I was thinking of cutting a wedge shaped piece of wood to fit and use as a nailing cleat. There will also be an outside barge rafter coming back to the roof.
Should I attach the barge rafter to the main roof,  or install roof first and finish barge rafter later so it goes on top of the metal?

I have not done any real roofing and am unsure of the best way to finish this out so the (metal) roof install will go smooth.

PEG688

The Barge rafter should hover over the metal roofing about 1" clear of the roofing.

I'd put nothing under the dormer sheathing , the felt can run right under the sheathing, and the roofer , or you if you are the roofer , can work out the details of the roofing and the detail at the transition.

Once your felt is down if you really think you need support under the sheathing cut a block , a small one and paint it flat black , put some  clear caulk on it and slip in up into the crotch between the standing seam metal so it's just stuck in there.

But really no one should be walking around up there in that area and once you felted in and the metal is on and that transition metal piece in in it'll be fine without a block.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .