Recent posts

Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - Today at 02:57:29 PM
Version 3.4.2 - 04.23.2024
- Fixed a compatibility bug with SketchUp 2024 (Fixnum & Bignum) while maintaining backward compatibility with previous versions of SketchUp.
General Forum / Frame the house
Last post by kellygreer - Today at 02:52:18 AM
Hello,
I'm trying to frame a house alone :). I wonder if it could be done in 10 foot sections and then tied together with the top plate.

Referral Links / Re: Medeek Electrical Plugin
Last post by Medeek - April 21, 2024, 09:33:36 PM
Version 1.4.2 - 04.21.2024
- Fixed a compatibility bug with SketchUp 2024 while maintaining compatibility with previous versions of SketchUp.
Referral Links / Re: Medeek Project Plugin
Last post by Medeek - April 20, 2024, 07:54:05 PM
Version 1.2.2 - 04.20.2024
- Fixed a compatibility bug with SketchUp 2024 while maintaining compatibility with previous versions of SketchUp.
Referral Links / Re: Foundation Plugin for Sket...
Last post by Medeek - April 20, 2024, 12:33:53 PM
Version 1.9.6 - 04.20.2024
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - April 18, 2024, 08:04:54 PM
Version 3.4.1 - 04.18.2024
Plans Support / Re: Perma Columns
Last post by NathanS - April 18, 2024, 10:15:41 AM
I have read about these before. I think they are engineered so that the joint between concrete and pt post is strong enough to satisfy the bracing requirements of pole buildings?

I think it is a good solution if you are building a pole structure. The PT wood available at most lumber yards will rot away under ground contact, whereas the concrete pier is a permanent solution.

The main thing is to make sure you understand pole bracing as there's no prescriptive method to follow as far as I know.

It will also change how the house walls are framed substantially - headers, insulation, water and air proofing, electrical, finishes. A potential cost to consider with a pole building is that you end up essentially framing it twice for a finished space. You'll probably still need a slab, and will need to excavate interior ground for a good base for it as well as plumbing.

Just me, but when I think my way through alternative building methods I often reason my way back to traditional methods due to cost, ease of construction, ability to follow established methods, and materials availability.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - April 17, 2024, 10:49:34 PM
Version 3.5.7 - 04.17.2024
General Forum / Re: backfill gravel under foot...
Last post by darksidedi - April 17, 2024, 09:53:51 PM
If you want to ensure that your foundation remains above the water line, you can dig an additional 6" and backfill with gravel. This will help elevate the foundation above the water level. By adding an inch or two above the water line, you create a buffer to mitigate any potential issues caused by water pooling.
General Forum / Re: Tall retaining foundation ...
Last post by oksana - April 15, 2024, 09:08:01 PM
The design of the concrete retaining wall itself should incorporate appropriate engineering principles, such as proper reinforcement, adequate footing, and wall thickness, to withstand the lateral soil pressure.