14x24 Little House in the sticks

Started by Pa_Kettle, June 21, 2006, 09:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

Wow, great! my little place is the same size, but you are farther along.  Thanks for the inspiration.

NorthernMich

Your project is very similar to mine (northernmich) that I just have to bump it where I can find it again :)

snow-go away  d*

Pa_Kettle

Quote from: MountainDon on March 24, 2009, 09:17:02 PM
Pictures look good Pa.  :)
Thanks!

Quote from: considerations on March 24, 2009, 09:45:41 PM
Wow, great! my little place is the same size, but you are farther along.  Thanks for the inspiration.
Your metal roof is really similar to ours too.  You even have a red Ford pickup! :)

Quote from: NorthernMich on March 27, 2009, 09:55:45 AM
Your project is very similar to mine (northernmich) that I just have to bump it where I can find it again :)

snow-go away  d*
Looks like you have a good start on it.  Our place is in S. Missouri, so that is why we didn't have to go real deep on the piers.

PK

Pa_Kettle

And... we're back.  Thought you lost us, didn't you.  ;D

We've been taking it easy with the finances since the economy got so shaken up, but we are back into it full speed ahead now.

Here are shots of the new ceiling: 
http://cabin.foxlore.net/cabin/ceiling.shtml
The same people who did our metal roof and chimney, did this ceiling.  We like it a lot.

I also added a few shots to the bathroom page:
http://cabin.foxlore.net/cabin/bath.shtml

I started doing vinyl work on our overhangs, but I ran out of materials AND we already have our resident Pheobe sitting on her nest inside one overhang.  I guess the warm weather has all the critters "doing it early".

PK

MountainDon

Great to see you again!

Nice ceiling work.

Those are super aren't they? We have the same one; shorter ceiling though. Whisper quiet and if you crank it up it sure moves the air.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ajbremer

Hi Pa_Kettle, I just read through every one of your post - great place. I'm glad to see your back posting again.

I realize that your title is: 14x24 but I thought I saw different measurements somewhere? Anyway, I was wondering, how deep and wide are your pier holes and all you did was fill them with crushed rock and then set the blocks on it? I would think that all the weight of the house would kind of move the blocks a little bit, push the rock into the dirt, etc..

Not using concrete would be cool. Does using the crushed rock end up costing much less than concrete? And last question for now: Did you use John's "The Little House Plans" that are sold here?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

duncanshannon

[cool]

just read your whole thread... now over to your website to look at the pics. thanks for sharing!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Pa_Kettle

Quote from: ajbremer on February 24, 2011, 06:05:46 AM
Hi Pa_Kettle, I just read through every one of your post - great place. I'm glad to see your back posting again.

I realize that your title is: 14x24 but I thought I saw different measurements somewhere? Anyway, I was wondering, how deep and wide are your pier holes and all you did was fill them with crushed rock and then set the blocks on it? I would think that all the weight of the house would kind of move the blocks a little bit, push the rock into the dirt, etc..

Not using concrete would be cool. Does using the crushed rock end up costing much less than concrete? And last question for now: Did you use John's "The Little House Plans" that are sold here?
Thanks for the kind remarks.

The cabin is one of John's 14x24 "Little Houses".  The pier holes are (going from memory), 14" deep, and 20"x20" wide.  I think.  We don't get the deep frost down in Missouri so 14" should be fine.  The crushed stone is probably about 8" and fairly well compacted, sitting on un-excavated earth.  That's key, you can't back fill if you over dig a hole.  Then the blocks sit on top of that 8" base and are surrounded by crushed rock up about 1.5" below their tops.  I've not noticed any issues with moving or heaving... so far. :)

I don't remember if the crushed rock was cheaper than concrete, but I'm sure it was easier.  We don't have power for mixing and hauling enough water to make concrete would have been difficult too.

PK

Pa_Kettle

Quote from: MountainDon on February 23, 2011, 11:49:51 PM
Great to see you again!

Nice ceiling work.

Those are super aren't they? We have the same one; shorter ceiling though. Whisper quiet and if you crank it up it sure moves the air.
Your not kidding.  At 12V it really does the job.  Someday we might put 24V to it but I doubt we'll need to.  Maybe in summer.

Our down rod is Sched. 40 PVC.   :D

PK