New Universal 2 Story Build

Started by Jonahj11, March 07, 2017, 02:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonahj11

Hey everyone,

Been a long time viewer of this forum and we have been inspired! We have just closed on our property in NW Georgia. It is only an acre but it is paid for! We found a lot with a mobile home, so all the utilities are already in. We got approval from the health dept. to build a 3 bedroom house, and even a 4 bedroom if we wanted because the septic tank was the right size. Now we are moving the mobile home off the property and starting on site prep. We had a roll off delivered the day after closing to clean up all the trash on the property and out of the trailer house and we are now clearing trees.
We have looked at a thousand different floor plans but it seems that the Universal 2 Story 20 x 34 always comes back as a problem solver for our family of five. So here is my project from the beginning...

My brush pile. Lots of clearing trees are in order here...

ChugiakTinkerer

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

The 20' width is a great compromise for the owner-builder.  It gives you lots of room but still allows you to frame with lumber rather than I-joists or trusses.  if you haven't yet acquainted yourself with the project management triangle, this web site describes it well: http://smarterwebsiteowner.com/the-project-management-triangle/

It looks like the existing building site can be used with little or no additional grading.  How's the view from there, are you wanting to keep the trees or clear them for a better view?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Jonahj11

The lot is very wooded and all the neighbors' lots are also so we can afford to remove quite a few trees to see the mountain ridge view but still keep some privacy. The back of the lot will need to be reworked to clear some room for the home site. we will place it with the 34' side facing the road and 20' in depth into the hill.

Here's a pic from before the cleanup of the back lot...

azgreg

This should be fun. Can't wait to follow your progress.  ;D

Bevis

Jonahj11

2 month update! Trailer is gone. Trees are down and removed. I rented an excavator and dug the stumps out where the foundation will go. Now we are ready for the footers to be dug.