16X40' 2 floor Plans

Started by TiredIron, February 10, 2010, 10:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiredIron

Hello;

I found this site looking for plans for a 16X40 house that I need to build on the Chesapeake Bay. This is a bit of a strange story. I have a lot, and the area is running out of sewer connections. When the connections run out there will be a building freeze that will probably go on for years until the plant is expanded. The only way to get the connection is to build, and I need to get moving. I have applied for the grading permit, now I need constrction plans. I do not want to build a huge house, this is a lot next to a house I already own.

Here is the concept:

The first floor will be a concrete above ground garage, 16x40 with an outdoor kitchen up front, facing the Bay. The second floor would be an open area kitchen small bath and bedroom. The third floor a master bedroom, bath, and another bed room.

Both the kitchen area amd the Master should have good viewing out the front. I think the stairs from the ground to the second floor should be on the outside, but the iinside to the third floor is a question.

The facade on the front should have some sort of maritime feel.

I would appreciate any pointers, to get me moving, or any place to look for ideas.

By the way, I have been through two designers already to no real satisfaction.

Thanks.

Redoverfarm

w* TiredIron   Glad you checked in .  I will have to think about your design.  Been a tiring day today.  Maybe tomorrow with a clear head.  again  w*

Redoverfarm

Quote from: TiredIron on February 10, 2010, 10:15:06 PM
Hello;

I found this site looking for plans for a 16X40 house that I need to build on the Chesapeake Bay. This is a bit of a strange story. I have a lot, and the area is running out of sewer connections. When the connections run out there will be a building freeze that will probably go on for years until the plant is expanded. The only way to get the connection is to build, and I need to get moving. I have applied for the grading permit, now I need constrction plans. I do not want to build a huge house, this is a lot next to a house I already own.

Here is the concept:

The first floor will be a concrete above ground garage, 16x40 with an outdoor kitchen up front, facing the Bay. The second floor would be an open area kitchen small bath and bedroom. The third floor a master bedroom, bath, and another bed room.

Both the kitchen area amd the Master should have good viewing out the front. I think the stairs from the ground to the second floor should be on the outside, but the iinside to the third floor is a question.

The facade on the front should have some sort of maritime feel.

I would appreciate any pointers, to get me moving, or any place to look for ideas.

By the way, I have been through two designers already to no real satisfaction.

Thanks.

I guess the first would be is there any restrictions on a design type by the city, state or local jurisdiction. I know some HOA specify sizes, roof types and facades. 

Secondly what type of hoops do you have to jump through regarding building codes.

Basicly it appears that you are going with a style that accomodates beach housing.  Have you searched any plans already tried in that style of structure.  Here is just one that I found.  http://www.familyhomeplans.com/coastal-house-plans-home.g.  I know getting plans off the net are expensive.  An alternative is to sketch approximately what you would like and then contact a small vocational college or high school in your area that supports a drafting department and allow student/teacher to draw a set of plans up off of your wish list or layout.  Probably would be very little expense involved.

I gather from the stilted design that which is prevelent along coastal property that the ground level is just parking and temporary useage due to the occasional high water.  Without the stacked plumbing from the second and third floor there will be a little more expense but not great.  I don't see any problem in facing the kitchen and M. Bedroom on the front with all other rooms to the rear with the exception of that. 

Are you planning on a deck for the front areas off of the kitchen and M. Bedroom?

Being subjected to the harsh saltwater enviroment then I would assume that either cedar or Hardee board would be best suited.  As far as the facade it is just that and it can be made to conform to the style of Maritime with out any problem.

Wish I could be of more help.

MountainDon

When you say the ground floor would be a "concrete garage" am I correct in thinking you mean a concrete walled (poured or concrete block) structure with a wood framed second and third floor on top of that? Or do you envision a stilted construction as shown in John's link? In a situation where there may be storm surges with water flowing up to and around the building I can see the advantages to a building on stilts.

You say you've struck out with two designers already. Do you mean stock designs or architects that you were dissatisfied with? Some idea of what the problems were may be helpful to anyone out there with some ideas.

It almost sounds like to have a good idea of what you want in a home, but need help in making drawings that will be acceptable to the zoning and inspection folks.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

sounds like you need to build a two story shotgun (New Orleans style), with double porches facing the bay.  Just build it on top of the ground floor, and have the garage facing the street.  Or is the plan a multiple car garage with side access?  16' isn;t really deep enough for a garage though.  look into brownstones also, as they are usually narrow and long like this.  Why a kitchen on the ground floor and one one the second?  Also, what architectural style are you after?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Jens on February 11, 2010, 07:27:06 PM
sounds like you need to build a two story shotgun (New Orleans style), with double porches facing the bay.  Just build it on top of the ground floor, and have the garage facing the street.  Or is the plan a multiple car garage with side access?  16' isn;t really deep enough for a garage though.  look into brownstones also, as they are usually narrow and long like this.  Why a kitchen on the ground floor and one one the second?  Also, what architectural style are you after?

I think his intention would be sort of like a beach front house.  Most have the garage entrance off the street and basicly on the visual(rear of the house).  As I understand the kitchen will be an outside kitchen on the ground floor or slab.   There is no permanent living quarters on the ground floor because of a potential of water.  The 16' as I understand is the width and the 40' the length so it would be ample enough space for a garage.   In fact he could probably eliminate the exterior stairs by utilizing part of that interior width adjacent to the garage area for a interior stairs if it couold be incorporated to not take too much space on the 1st floor.

RainDog

'cept with garage doors at the bottom.

I'm such a big help, huh?  ;)
NE OK

rwanders

Since it is long & narrow, have you considered a prow (bow) front on one end and a stylized stern on the other---add some round (porthole) windows and some red and green carriage lights to complete a "maritime look"-----might be fun.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

TiredIron

Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses.

I will take a shot at some of the questions.

The concrete first floor garage/kitchen is primarly for outdoor activities during the summer, and to deal with storms and sea surges which happens. The kitchen will be used for summer parties, fish fries, and crab boils. It will have all of the stoves, sinks, etc, and should be open when in use, but able to be closed when not in use.

I don't know if there will be porches off the second floor and the bedroom, because of the total size, or something like a nanowall or sliders that just opens the rooms. We also have bugs, especially in the summer.

It is indeed close to a shotgun. But the room layout needs to be more varied.

The houses John turned up found one that is getting into the zone;

http://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=68868&src=search

MountainDon

Quote from: rwanders on February 11, 2010, 08:57:28 PM
Since it is long & narrow, have you considered a prow (bow) front on one end and a stylized stern on the other---add some round (porthole) windows and some red and green carriage lights to complete a "maritime look"-----might be fun.

:) :)   an ARK!!   

okay... I'll go quietly now. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JRR

When I see "slender" footprints such as a 16' x 40', my ole southern brain goes to "dogtrot" layouts seen often down here.  The center of the structure becomes dedicated to thru-breezeways, complete with staircases, doorways and services.  With a bit of deck and covered porch added to the scheme, the first floor (under the breezeway) can be made into ample parking space.

Then you can put kitchen and living areas in one end, and separate bedroom/office space at the other end.  Or, make a duplex with two complete separate family areas separated by the center breezeway.  This you see often in beach side rental units.