roll vent for metal roof

Started by vojacek, August 12, 2005, 12:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vojacek

we will be using a vented ridge cap on our new roof. we were advised, by a salesman of course, that we should use roll vent in the opening to prevent bugs, bird nest, ect. we were thinking of using screen instead. the roll vent is $250/50ft. screen will be $20. any thoughts on this? is it worth the $250?

DBNS

I used screen. I just looked at little openings in the soffit, knew that I would never get the exposed ends of the steel roof 100% sealed, and decided it wasn't worth the money for the expensive vent. My bigger concern was animals living/nesting in the roof.

Micky

I am also doing a screen.  The company I bought the roofing from was very experienced.  They said the profile vent is not worth the money.  They sold me a roll of 6" wide screen.  They said to lay this down after the roofing paper.  Then install "C" channels on top of that.  This would keep the wind blown rain out.  The end of the panels slide into the channel.  Then the ridge cap after that.  Sounds pretty straight forward to me...

Kevin

I used the venting on my metal roof. Just the regular kind you get at Home stores the come in a roll. To use it I got the foam filler pieces that fit your roof profile and stuck them to the top of the roof. That levels the top then just lay the rool out. and put the cap on. Its easier than it sounds.
Kevin